Sponsored by:

Anyone Thinking of Buying a TKO Trans?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 AM
jon68l79
Supporting Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was about a month or so away from doing this swap, but for the right price, I might be in now. I'll send you a pm.

Jon

Last edited by jon68l79; 02-14-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:01 AM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clubby99
Thought something strange was going on - thinking you were right twice in the same week
Old 02-14-2012, 09:44 AM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

intrested in an auto to manual kit for a 64... wondering what the OTD price will be, May have to order sooner than I planed..
Old 02-14-2012, 09:45 AM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Great Matt - we are at around 10 possibly buyers now. Will let you know what the final deal looks like.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:24 PM
oldC3guy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, I appreciate all of you that are getting the information and doing the leg work on this!! And it appears that most of you are going for the TKO 600. I just wanted to clarify that I would be interested in the TKO 500 deluxe kit.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:28 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by oldC3guy
First, I appreciate all of you that are getting the information and doing the leg work on this!! And it appears that most of you are going for the TKO 600. I just wanted to clarify that I would be interested in the TKO 500 deluxe kit.
Got you on the list. The way it will work is the vendor that gives the biggest discount will be selected and everyone who is interested will be notified who to contact. Then you will order directly through the vendor and have something you will need to put in the email message (e.g. Corvette Forum TKO) and mention the discount. Glad you are on board.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:56 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

See if we can get 2 prices... 1 for "kit" and the other for the tranny.... Reason, a lot of vindors carry the tko but not the kit.... May be cheaper to divide it out in 2 parts....

I have seen brand new tko's for right at $2,000..... Shifter at $275.... We should be able to get a compleat kit for sub $3k
Old 02-14-2012, 01:30 PM
UBETRUN
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69VetteFla

Ubetron - if you have a good relationship with American Powertrain try your guy as well and see what type of discount he can give for volume (e.g. 3,4,5,6,7). I haven't done any business with them before so
It's UBETRUN as in "You better run!".

I talked to my guy and he said he'll make this deal work on an individual basis since many won't want the exact same kit. He doesn't want to get cross-threaded with any vendors on here so I sent you his contact info in a PM. When you have the final list, give him a shout and let him compete for the business. He gave me a price that I couldn't beat anywhere else and mine is already ordered.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:19 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by UBETRUN
It's UBETRUN as in "You better run!".

I talked to my guy and he said he'll make this deal work on an individual basis since many won't want the exact same kit. He doesn't want to get cross-threaded with any vendors on here so I sent you his contact info in a PM. When you have the final list, give him a shout and let him compete for the business. He gave me a price that I couldn't beat anywhere else and mine is already ordered.
Sounds like this may be the option to pursue?
I got a note back from Hurst-
I'm surprised so many of these vendors don't seem interested in getting some substantial sale$ and positive word of mouth advertising in return for a group rate..

Elm:
We do not do any group buys, etc… but we do have FREE shipping. Our Deluxe Kit for the Corvettes are $3570 (TKO 500) and $3670 (TKO 600’s). See below on the parts that come in this kit:

http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/?page_id=120

Scott Lindquist
Hurst Driveline Conversions
Old 02-14-2012, 05:01 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

pauldana - everyone will have different needs so i am getting a % discount for volume that you can use to order whatever you want (e.g. TKO 500, TKO 600, full kit/trans only, auto to manual, 4 spd to 5 spd)

ezobens - Hurst and AP both gave better pricing than that without a final order count.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:05 PM
ezobens
Drifting

pauldana - everyone will have different needs so i am getting a % discount for volume that you can use to order whatever you want (e.g. TKO 500, TKO 600, full kit/trans only, auto to manual, 4 spd to 5 spd)

ezobens - Hurst and AP both gave better pricing than that without a final order count.
Yeah, funny how Hurst gave you a $70 cheaper price for the kit than they quoted me.
AP seems to have the lowest price so far-
Elm
Old 02-14-2012, 06:42 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

The year of the vehicle might make a difference in the price of the kit also. This is what I was quoted from Hurst a while ago for my 1981:

Manual to Manual:

Deluxe Kit is $3445 (TKO 500) and $3545 (TKO 600’s)

Auto to Manual:

The cost for the kit with the TKO 500 is $4345 and for the TKO 600 (.64) or (.82) the price is $4445.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:03 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Originally Posted by qwank
The year of the vehicle might make a difference in the price of the kit also. This is what I was quoted from Hurst a while ago for my 1981:

Manual to Manual:

Deluxe Kit is $3445 (TKO 500) and $3545 (TKO 600’s)

Auto to Manual:

The cost for the kit with the TKO 500 is $4345 and for the TKO 600 (.64) or (.82) the price is $4445.
They don't differentiate years for these kits- A C3 is a C3.
Nothing is really different as far as the transmission installation from 68 to 82.
Elm
Old 02-15-2012, 04:56 AM
Clubby99
Burning Brakes

Wonder why prices are never listed? Always need to ask for a quote. I'm thinking so the resellers will not compete and drive the prices down.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:36 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Originally Posted by Clubby99
Wonder why prices are never listed? Always need to ask for a quote. I'm thinking so the resellers will not compete and drive the prices down.

Seems to be a shady practice.
Since everyone has more or less the same fixed prices on the trans itself, it's only the accessories that seem to have any swag in pricing.
It's not like the kits are custom from order to order.
There is NO reason why they couldn't list their prices outright on their sites.
They should list pricing for the kits and then the parts individually so that the buyer can make their own decision.
If the customer needs something special or if they offer any package deals, then ask for quote- Otherwise the quote thing is BS.
Just my .02
Elm
Old 02-15-2012, 10:52 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ezobens

Seems to be a shady practice.
Since everyone has more or less the same fixed prices on the trans itself, it's only the accessories that seem to have any swag in pricing.
It's not like the kits are custom from order to order.
There is NO reason why they couldn't list their prices outright on their sites.
They should list pricing for the kits and then the parts individually so that the buyer can make their own decision.
If the customer needs something special or if they offer any package deals, then ask for quote- Otherwise the quote thing is BS.
Just my .02
Elm
I agree, this is why i started my thread about this... "what is the best price you ......." but this is a good thread.... leading in the same direction,,,,cool!..so im on board! they say they cant give a lower price than Tremic will allow... THAT IS PRICE FIXING!. and this is what is going on here... illegal. ......... But what we have to deal with. even with the trans price fixing, with the parts bundle, ie the shifter cross-member etc... they could do us a lot better on price.... whoever ends up giving us a good deal we should make sure every person from this point forward knows which company worked with us... and which one wanted to continue to try and price gouge us. jmho..... good news travels fast.... bad faster.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:05 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Originally Posted by pauldana
they say they cant give a lower price than Tremic will allow... THAT IS PRICE FIXING!.
Absolutely!
And more smoke and mirrors-
Tremec doesn't care what the distributor sells the trans for. As long as Tremec gets their cut from the distributor, they could care less what the profit margin is for said distributor.
Frustrating...
Elm

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Thinking of Buying a TKO Trans?

Old 02-15-2012, 11:11 AM
69VetteFla
Drifting

I hear the frustration about the sale practice but lets try to keep this thread positive as we are looking for help from a vendor.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:23 AM
ezobens
Drifting

I hear the frustration about the sale practice but lets try to keep this thread positive as we are looking for help from a vendor.
Hopefully the vendors that are monitoring this thread (and hopefully they are!) can sense not only the frustration but the commitment of those of us interested in making a group purchase.
I have yet to see any of them explain their practices when we have been nothing more than upfront with them.

There should be nothing to hide from either party-
We are looking for a volume discount, pure and simple. No games.
That is all we are asking for in return.

We are being nothing but respectful here. If there is a reason why it is what it is, all we ask for is an explanation...
Respectfully,
Elm
Old 02-15-2012, 12:03 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

well.... here is a quote from a tremic distributor "Well, I guess you have seen that about everyone has the same price for the trans... its because Tremic has a minimum price that we can quote, sale or advertise the unit for" he did not carry the needed "kit" just the transmissions.... that is what,,, 2 maybe 3 vendors that make the "kit" Hurst, Tremic, and???? That is why I ask for separate pricing, thus if we can find a distributor that will sale us the trans cheaper, than find the best buy on the "kit" we may be able to secure a better price..... it seems the "kit" people are holding our 8a!!s to the fire..

Quick Reply: Anyone Thinking of Buying a TKO Trans?