Sponsored by:

Oil in a '79

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:33 PM
leah4185
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in a '79

This is a pretty basic question but subject to many opinions... I recently acquired a '79 and it's about time for an oil change. This being my first C3 (yay!), are there any recommendations as to any particular motor oil brands working better than others? (The weight is 10w30, but I'm sure you already know that.)
Old 02-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Mark Riles
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by leah4185
This is a pretty basic question but subject to many opinions... I recently acquired a '79 and it's about time for an oil change. This being my first C3 (yay!), are there any recommendations as to any particular motor oil brands working better than others? (The weight is 10w30, but I'm sure you already know that.)

Lot of opinions on oils and no one right or wrong in particular. I prefer Mobile1. I can get it at all chain store. They sell oil, filters, and you get great protection for a good price.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:21 PM
lrc89
Advanced

Really depends on many variables.

How many miles on the engine, what's the service schedule been like and how has the car been driven? Is the vehicle maintained in a cold climate or a hot region?

All of these basic questions will help determine which type of oil best suits to your specific circumstances.

Offer more info and I'm sure members will be able to suggest suitable options.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:43 PM
tnovot
Racer

Assuming that the car will be driven as a low mileage per year pleasure vehicle, not raced, subject to any harsh environments, or otherwise abused, Any well known major brand of API approved conventional motor oil would be fine.
You will get many more opinions about different weights, switching to synthetic, etc so the best thing is to do research, become informed, and make your own decisions based on your own driving habits, usage, and locale.
Terry
Old 02-10-2012, 11:41 PM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what opinions do you guys have about putting syntheitc in a stock l48 79 ? i have read on a feew posts previously that someone mentioned putting an additive in every other oil change some people have said stay away from synthetic some people who has an educated reason or opinion on what are positives negatives to either?

Get notified of new replies

To Oil in a '79

Quick Reply: Oil in a '79