Sponsored by:

quick vid of my pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 PM
ehinch19
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick vid of my pipes

I was bored and decided to record a quick video if my baby with the side pipes running without any inserts. I have been playing with paint on the rocker panels What’s yalls thought on going with a high contrast color to make the panels and the side pipes pop like a red that will match the interior?

http://s1097.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0498.mp4
Old 02-09-2012, 08:42 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

If you like that type of sound (which I do, but open sounds a little 'messy' to me), you'd really like the STS spiral baffles. YouTube them. They're pretty cool.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:07 PM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I put 4" Stainless sidepipes on my "76 within the last two weeks and truthfully I don't know how you could drive it without any inserts. Well with a stock engine anyway. A built engine will sound better. More compression and a matched cam will sound great but it's gonna be really loud.

I started with the Hooker Max Flow inserts and they were really deep and really loud under acceleration. I took those out and installed the Glass pack mufflers which have a perfect sound level (db's) but just didn't have a good, deep, throaty tone.

So I was cruising the sprial baffles website and also Jegs and Summitracing when I found Patriout makes an inexpensive spiral auger styled baffle that for $14.99 each was worth a purchase and attempt to calm down the Max Flow's. The baffles are for 3" pipes and the Max Flows are 2 1/2" so I had to remove a lot of steel. The center tube of the baffles is 1" OD and 7/8" ID which is open on both ends.

The inserts knocked down the DB's of the Max Flows when installed at the rear of the muffler but it is still loud but nowhere near open pipe or open Max Flow pipe sound.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Steve~74
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I think it sounds awesome....
Old 02-10-2012, 10:14 PM
UberLegend
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 02-11-2012, 07:18 AM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with "Sweet-Thunders" ... So did "in2fun" ..
Old 02-12-2012, 04:51 AM
jimo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by palmbeachvette76
I put 4" Stainless sidepipes on my "76 within the last two weeks and truthfully I don't know how you could drive it without any inserts. Well with a stock engine anyway. A built engine will sound better. More compression and a matched cam will sound great but it's gonna be really loud.

I started with the Hooker Max Flow inserts and they were really deep and really loud under acceleration. I took those out and installed the Glass pack mufflers which have a perfect sound level (db's) but just didn't have a good, deep, throaty tone.

So I was cruising the sprial baffles website and also Jegs and Summitracing when I found Patriout makes an inexpensive spiral auger styled baffle that for $14.99 each was worth a purchase and attempt to calm down the Max Flow's. The baffles are for 3" pipes and the Max Flows are 2 1/2" so I had to remove a lot of steel. The center tube of the baffles is 1" OD and 7/8" ID which is open on both ends.

The inserts knocked down the DB's of the Max Flows when installed at the rear of the muffler but it is still loud but nowhere near open pipe or open Max Flow pipe sound.
Do you have any pics of them? I would like to see how they look

Jim
Old 02-12-2012, 05:59 AM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jimo
Do you have any pics of them? I would like to see how they look

Jim

Header wrap on the mufflers

The inserts I milled down

Installed