Sponsored by:

Looking for a 350SBC, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Manuel Azevedo
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zapawaf
1. In Fl there is no inspection so I don't believe any of the smog stuff matters, and back in NH you can get Collectors plates which exempt it from needing any emission crap
2. I drove it for a total of 2 hours in a period of a week before the motor blew, and honestly I didn't beat on it and I literally did under the speed limit, so I couldn't answer that and be any help.
3. I really don't want to spend thousands. I have a budget and I'd like it to include new paint and work on the interior and any other thing that pops up unexpectedly. I might consider something for 3500 if it would run when I turned the key.
I have carb I have intake, I'd rather not reuse the heads as I hear you need to have it machined to properly fit the new engine. Yada yada.

So with all that said, check out that 290 horse engine and others at your local GM dealer, most all of them can get you a good price on it and it will probably be in the same town you live in to save bucks there and be close for any warranty work if ever needed.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:37 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

This engine will be your best bang for the buck:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-10067353/

Do not buy the 290 HP engine. It is just the 10067353 (see link above) with a different cam. For 500 bucks extra. I am sure you can find a cam of your own for less than 500 bucks.

Scott
Old 01-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Manuel Azevedo
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyp99
This engine will be your best bang for the buck:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-10067353/

Do not buy the 290 HP engine. It is just the 10067353 (see link above) with a different cam. For 500 bucks extra. I am sure you can find a cam of your own for less than 500 bucks.

Scott

This may not be such a bad deal but the GM engine could be better as being from a GM dealer in his own neighborhood and not spend the bucks on shipping and warranty work if ever needed would be at home also. There are many choice's one can make here and that is what makes it so hard for someone to decide on any given route, guess thats why people come here and ask questions!
Old 01-28-2012, 08:01 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Zapawaf
Hey guys.
Some of you may remember me from a while ago, I have a 79 4 speed that had a cracked block.
I finally got the second half of my enlistment bonus and can finally afford the motor.
I won't lie, I don't know much about engines, this whole process has been learn as you go, with the help of my Father, plus others knowledge.

I believe what I'm looking for is a long block, I want to be able to drop it in and turn the key and go. I'm looking at summitracing because I have heard nothing but good things from them.

Now here is where I need help. I don't know what I need.
They mention things like Rear Main Seal being either 2 piece or 1 , I don't know what this means or what I'd prefer.

I'm not going to be drag racing with this, and the max speed around here is 70mph... Yea I like getting up to speed real quick, but I'm not concerned with it's ability to do 200mph on the highway :P

Any and all input welcomed. Please and thank you!
Sir, Call Jeff at Bad Iron Machine Shop in Bradenton. They are in the book. He can set you up with a correct longblock for a reasonable rate.Good people. Tell him Ron from Larry's told you to call. Good luck!!!
Old 01-28-2012, 09:24 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Manuel Azevedo
This may not be such a bad deal but the GM engine could be better as being from a GM dealer in his own neighborhood and not spend the bucks on shipping and warranty work if ever needed would be at home also. There are many choice's one can make here and that is what makes it so hard for someone to decide on any given route, guess thats why people come here and ask questions!
I know, it's a summit racing link, but it's the GM Goodwrench engine. For the 290 HP engine, they take this engine, put a different cam in it, and charge an extra 500 bucks. You can get the Goodwrench engine and put your own cam in it for far less than 500 bucks.

Scott
Old 01-29-2012, 08:01 PM
DrRCC
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Zapawaf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, I have 2 more questions.

Flexplates.
It's my understanding manuals have flywheels and auto's have flexplates.
If I were to buy a turnkey motor, would it usually tend to have a flexplate or is that something on the transmission itself?

Second, and the reason I'm asking,
I found this http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/pts/2811110410.html
and for the price it doesn't seem to bad, he would be willing to write something up saying it's sold in good working order. Would this have a flexplate? And what's your thoughts on this?
Old 01-29-2012, 11:12 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

I don't see a flexplate in any of the pictures, so I'd say no. Call the guy and ask. Find out what the cam specs are, and what it has for pistons. If he does have the receipts, do they say what was done? How much was taken off the deck, if any? What the piston to deck height is now, etc.

Scott
Old 01-30-2012, 02:13 PM
L82shark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Most crate engines dont come with a flywheel or flexplate. You will have to reuse the one off yours but have it checked. If you are going to hang it back in your 79, I would have your old flywheel turned and install a new clutch while it was all out. Also check and make sure the pilot bushing is installed in the new engine's crankshaft before hand!

Quick Reply: Looking for a 350SBC, need help.