Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 06:19 PM
hicswa
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BTAL
A little help for the click-impaired.

Like the lips on the edges. Nice work!

How did you get the pictures to stay visible? I want to add another set this week of what I made to get the car up on them. PS: the car has been sitting on the ramps since December 15. My daughter said I have too much fun lol
Old 01-29-2012, 06:55 PM
BTAL
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by hicswa
How did you get the pictures to stay visible? I want to add another set this week of what I made to get the car up on them. PS: the car has been sitting on the ramps since December 15. My daughter said I have too much fun lol
Click the button on the menu bar and paste in the full URL to your image location.

Alternately, you can type [img] paste/type the image URL then close the tag with a / between the [ and img]
Old 01-29-2012, 08:08 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by hicswa
Hi, I have 2 x 12 stud under the 2 x 12 runner every 16" and doubled at the front and rear. I made sure to posistion studs under each wheel also. The 3/8 rods are there to hold the two sides compressed to the studs. Also each stud is fasten to the sides and the runner with 3 1/2 deck screws spaced about and inch apart. So under the runner ar nine 2 x 12 studs 8 inches high acting as columns.
I might do it different, but you've put some good thought into it.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Retro78
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How did you get it up there? Can you show the ramps please?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:24 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So the sides are 2X12 but what is the top? Are those 2X8s?? And what is the length? I really like these and now are planning on making them. I would like to see the ramps though and how are they attached?? Great work!!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:26 AM
hicswa
Pro

Originally Posted by alconk
So the sides are 2X12 but what is the top? Are those 2X8s?? And what is the length? I really like these and now are planning on making them. I would like to see the ramps though and how are they attached?? Great work!!
Hi, The top is also 2x12. I will put up more pictuers soon.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 AM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice job........... Has to be the best platform/ramps I've seen so far.
Steve
Old 01-30-2012, 07:56 PM
hicswa
Pro

More pictures. I try to display them but I must be still doing something wrong..
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0079.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0081.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0082.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0077.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0076.jpg

Last edited by hicswa; 01-30-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

should use img rather than url
Old 01-30-2012, 09:08 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

This will help you become a pro at posting pics in no time...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/help...tep-guide.html
Old 01-30-2012, 09:44 PM
hicswa
Pro

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
This will help you become a pro at posting pics in no time...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/help...tep-guide.html
Thank you!
Old 01-31-2012, 02:29 AM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup... ain't nothing wrong with those bad boys.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:35 AM
AWilson
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 75+78 Corvettes
Brilliant! My only problem is that my garage is already tight on space and I have no where to store them when not in use. Granted, with 2 C3s, I'm sure one of them would be up there all the time.
Subscribing to this in the event I decide to do it.
One of the most overlooked areas of a garage is to store things just UNDER the rafters overhead. These lifts/ramps are perfect for that. You would lift one end up and maybe pin it to the rafter and then lift the other end, pin it, and your done. It's not like your going to hit your head because the Vette is always there anyway. Only issue may be that it could interfere with lighting. But that is adjustable too. or have lighting under the lifts so they serve as overhead lighting when not in use.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:38 AM
AWilson
Drifting

Look great. Great idea, I though of this too but you did it! I have notice when on a creeper under the car that if the car is up too high it is tiring on the arms. Obviously too low and it doesn't work. What is the ideal height to raise a Vette for optimum reach? Because once you make these, the height is not changing.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:42 AM
AWilson
Drifting

Sorry, one more post. Just a thought, another thing that can be done to add a huge level of safety and stability. Put some threaded inserts flush with the floor in the cement. Then a bracket on the ramp. When you use them you run a bolt in by hand. This will keep them from moving and to me give excellent stability. Also, it allows you to have them properly aligned to each other all the time, every time. but you have to be willing to drill the holes in your garage floor. If you do it, keep bolts in the inserts so they don't get full of dirt.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:14 AM
hicswa
Pro

Originally Posted by AWilson
Sorry, one more post. Just a thought, another thing that can be done to add a huge level of safety and stability. Put some threaded inserts flush with the floor in the cement. Then a bracket on the ramp. When you use them you run a bolt in by hand. This will keep them from moving and to me give excellent stability. Also, it allows you to have them properly aligned to each other all the time, every time. but you have to be willing to drill the holes in your garage floor. If you do it, keep bolts in the inserts so they don't get full of dirt.
Hi, I don't think drilling for anchors is necessary. They don’t move lol! They are heavy and pretty stable when driving on them. I made mine so I have 18 inches from floor to working area. I used 2x12s. You can adjust the height and make it lighter by using 2x10s. I found 18 inches works for me and had that in mind when I built them. Also I cut two 2x4s to set the gap between them and a set for my Toyota
Old 02-01-2012, 09:23 AM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks very well thought out and built.

I see so many concerned, yet very few comment on Jack stands when cars are posted on them. The quality of components used by foreign companies is appalling, all to make a buck......and can fail, slip, slide off the frame all too easily.

I would rather have a car on wood than adjustable jack stands of inferior metals.

Get notified of new replies

To Ramps I made during the hoilday

Old 02-01-2012, 09:40 AM
75+78 Corvettes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AWilson
One of the most overlooked areas of a garage is to store things just UNDER the rafters overhead. These lifts/ramps are perfect for that. You would lift one end up and maybe pin it to the rafter and then lift the other end, pin it, and your done. It's not like your going to hit your head because the Vette is always there anyway. Only issue may be that it could interfere with lighting. But that is adjustable too. or have lighting under the lifts so they serve as overhead lighting when not in use.
I think those would be too heavy to even try to hang from the ceiling I'd be afraid of trying to lift them and take them down. I also have some hanging storage that hangs from the ceiling that I love. If I didn't have it, there would be no room for one of the vettes in the garage. I utilize just about every safe bit of space in my garage
Old 02-01-2012, 10:31 AM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

I can relate to that. I mounted one of the Tire Rack tire storage racks high on the garage wall (so that I could walk under it) only to find I was not strong enough to get the tires into the rack. After my wife stopped laughing she helped me with the tires.

Originally Posted by 75+78 Corvettes
I think those would be too heavy to even try to hang from the ceiling I'd be afraid of trying to lift them and take them down. I also have some hanging storage that hangs from the ceiling that I love. If I didn't have it, there would be no room for one of the vettes in the garage. I utilize just about every safe bit of space in my garage
Old 02-01-2012, 02:26 PM
hicswa
Pro

Originally Posted by Fred@ReverseLogic
I can relate to that. I mounted one of the Tire Rack tire storage racks high on the garage wall (so that I could walk under it) only to find I was not strong enough to get the tires into the rack. After my wife stopped laughing she helped me with the tires.
Thats Funny!

Quick Reply: Ramps I made during the hoilday