C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who've had your C3 totalled ......

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

Default For those who've had your C3 totalled ......

what is generally the Ins Co "buyback" of the car ???
If you bought the remains back ?

Mine was torched when my dad's shed burned around it. It didn't burn so the drivetrain, suspension and possibly frame should be recyclable.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Some insurance companies will allow this, others do not. You'll have to contact your insurance carrier and see what they have to say.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't even ask....don't even think I wanted to see the car in person after I saw the pics
Old 01-23-2012, 12:48 PM
65specialk
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I am an insurance adjuster and have seen this many many times. Some companies you can buy it back for high salvage bid. Burned, turn your head and walk away fast. Never a good idea to try to recover a burned car. Burnt= Scrap.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:25 PM
DoktorC
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car wasn't burnt THAT badly...most of the body is still there meaning that it wasn't hot enough to burn paint or glass. If the body didn't go than it's unlikely there is any damage to the frame/suspension. I'm sure the motor would need to be gone through if there is the possibility of water damage but I wouldn't hesitate to buy that back if the price makes sense. Knowing that you have a good rolling chassis sure makes finding a replacement car a lot easier. This of course only makes sense if you're planning on building another car. If you plan on just buying a clean car to drive than it may be pointless to have a chassis sitting around...
Old 01-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago I had a Porsche 911 burn and was totaled. The insurance company said they could sell it back to me for 25% of what they paid me. If I remember correctly they said it was a law of some sort. I lived in Tennessee at the time so I am not sure if that was a TN law or what. The fire did damage to the engine bay and rear quarters. It looked repairable but a body shop told me that steel losses its temper and strength after a fire and that paint will often peal after being repainted. Not sure if it was all true but it was enough to discourage me from trying.

Last edited by Roco71; 01-23-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

To clarify: the car didn't burn, more like melted: nose, rear cover and hood. oh and interior also

Engine shop and Trans shop say drivetrain should be unscathed.
I would only buy back to keep my 1500 mile 400HP motor, TCI 700R4, and rebuilt rearend -- for my next C3 project !
Old 01-23-2012, 04:31 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I bought back my DD when it was totaled. The insurance agency sent out a representative who looked over the car and decided what pieces of the car ie. doors,trunk,hood,etc. could be salvage and sold. Then came up with a buy back price.

Call them for a buy price. They can let you know what THEY think is salvageable after they look at it and what it is worth to them. I dont know of any general rule. You dont need to say anything.

Good luck
Old 01-23-2012, 06:25 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no set % or given calculation. Each car is different depending on what's damaged and the value of the car. You just need to ask your adjuster. They will put a "salvage" or "auction" value on the car and reduce your payoff by that amount. You then keep the car and they send you a smaller check. If they do not take possession of your title, your title will most likely remain a real title too, not a salvage title.

Just talk to your adjuster.

If it were my car, I'd look into a "buy back" also.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:35 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

kinda of a nice feeling, i would think, to have some of my old car live on.just how i think.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Bills17n72
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 359 Posts

well I am parting out a 79 right now,making some good money on all the parts im sure I will make at least $2000 when im done,the whole front end was burned off the car ,from the doors back is in good shape ,I wish I could get some more to work on!!!!The thing to do is take everything off that car that you can get ,some day someone will want that part on ebay or maybe on this forum, remember strip it out completely!!!!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:02 PM
wydglydrydr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I recall from your previous threads, you have USAA. I've been down this road with USAA. They assigned a value to the vehicle and then put it out for bid. Whatever the high bid was to buy my totaled vehicle was deducted from what USAA determined it was worth, and I got a check for the difference and got to keep the vehicle. The title remained in my name, no salvage issue to deal with, as no transfer of ownership ever occurred. USAA is very good to deal with.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:41 PM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

When I was an Insurance Adjuster I had to obtain a minimum of 3 salvage bids depending on which insurance company I was working with. Based on the bids some would allow the owner to bid and most of the time let them keep the car.

Some states have laws regarding total loss vehicle, rebuildable or salvage titles so even if you keep it the car may not be placed on the road again, which in your case I know isn't your objective. You'll simply have to ask your carrier if you have the option to buy the salvage and go from there.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

thanks guys - i'm hoping USAA prices the mess leftover really low so i can recycle the drivetrain cheaply. I can't understand anyone paying much $$$ for what is leftover visually.................

Get notified of new replies

To For those who've had your C3 totalled ......

Quick Reply: For those who've had your C3 totalled ......