Sponsored by:

1970 LT-1 Rescue: Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Crafty12
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CQRT
Thanks for posting the photos and the update - - what type of manifold and carb are on the car presently?

Almost makes you wonder why they would change them to start with ?

You're making good progress - --great car!

I actually have an answer for that. I have talked a couple of times to what would have been the 2nd owner (I am the 5th). He tells me that shortly after he bought it in 71 he did all of the customization to the car. The headers and pipes, the square headlights, the stripe. Also he removed the intake and carb and installed a mid sixties fuelie setup on it. Between him selling it in 77 and me buying it in September it lost the FI and picked up an Edelbrock performer and a Holley 3310. That is what is still on the car as of now.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I like your LT-1 just the way it is, maybe you should leave it as a "day 2 muscle car" those Motor Wheels are REALLY RARE pieces, while not light I really like the looks of them. Nice ride, a fellow 70 LT-1 owner who thinks: all 70 Vettes are Mulsanne Blue, the rest are mistakes
Old 02-28-2012, 06:04 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Whats the car's build date?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Crafty12
Pro

Originally Posted by LeMans Pete
Whats the car's build date?
May 19th.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:52 PM
DeadStang
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow--great progress report on the car! I remember you had just bought this when I was getting ready to buy mine. You've done WAY more than me, tho! Things move slowly around my place, but I did manage to replace the starter with a temporary (I decoded the one I took off and it appears that it was likely the original piece, so I had it rebuilt and am just waiting for an excuse to put it back on). Some of the ignition shielding was breaking and I was afraid of either losing it, or having the sharp edge cut one of my plug wires, so I took it off and set it aside. It did go and spend some time at the front-end shop almost immediately. Since then, pretty much all I've done is drive it on the rare, dry-road days we've had this winter (about 3 of them!). Keep posting your updates and I'll make "progress" on mine vicariously thru you, haha!

Here are a couple pix of mine (heavy little things):

PS--I really like your wheels! I am thinking of committing sacrilege myself with mine. I have always really, really liked the stock '78 and up aluminum wheels, so I may pick up a set to swap on. Easy to put back to stock and I like the look.

Last edited by DeadStang; 02-28-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DeadStang
ss" on mine vicariously thru you, haha!

Here are a couple pix of mine (heavy little things):

\

in a grave yard!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Crafty12
Pro

Just got the car back yesterday from having the stock intake and carb installed. And it just so happens we are having record temps here in MI this week, so I got to drive it today!

Old 03-22-2012, 11:50 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default so I got to drive it today!

Originally Posted by Crafty12
Just got the car back yesterday from having the stock intake and carb installed. And it just so happens we are having record temps here in MI this week, so I got to drive it today!

And...?

You left us hanging here!

Nice progress and now the great weather is coming!

Glenn
Old 03-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Crafty12
Pro

Originally Posted by GD70
And...?

You left us hanging here!

Nice progress and now the great weather is coming!

Glenn
And it was AWESOME! I put a pretty good amount of cash into it this winter to recondition the suspension and brakes. I am so glad I did. It rides and roles like a dream. I barely have to hold the steering wheel. My survivor 73 feels like a horse drawn wagon by comparison.

And the exhaust is out of this world! I went with a full Corvette Central N-11 system. Its 2.5" from the manifolds to the tips. I also replaced the headers that were on it with 2.5" manifolds from a mid year car. While the manifolds are not stock to the car, they let it breathe really well. If anyone is contemplating exhaust I highly recommend looking at this system. I'll see about getting a little video together if I can.

http://www.corvettecentralexhaust.co...k_off_road.php

Last edited by Crafty12; 11-22-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Quick Reply: 1970 LT-1 Rescue: Update