Sponsored by:

Lift off the body - -

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 06:25 PM
boatmark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift off the body - -

Looking to see what people have used to lift the body off their C-3's.
How heavy is the body really? Can an engine lift handle it?
Thinking tow truck or a neighbors front end loader.

What have other people done, and what tips to avoid problems doing this for the first time.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:29 PM
esierra
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used 4 straps design for corvette and fork lift, It was very easy. I have a friend that has done it with floor jacks and 4 x 4 beam across, Seems like alot of work that way.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:13 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

I lifted mine with body straps and a come-a-long attached to my garage rafters, 10ft ceiling.

body-off

Old 12-29-2011, 08:03 PM
jpdocdave
Advanced

I haven't done it yet, but I've seen more than once in my searches that guys used their engine hoist to lift the body.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:18 PM
heckys66
Advanced

I use my engine hoist (HD).
Attach straps or chain to both out board seat belt holes, and the studs for the hood latches in the fire wall.
Well balanced, and works every time. This is my recent project 69.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:56 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I used a engine hoist, but it was very precarious... Mine was very nose heavy when it came off the frame and I had a strap going to the nose to help support it...

Rogman
Old 12-29-2011, 09:50 PM
gkz
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rogman16
I used a engine hoist, but it was very precarious... Mine was very nose heavy when it came off the frame and I had a strap going to the nose to help support it...

Rogman
I removed everything I could: Hood, doors, decklid, interior, wiring, etc. I could estimate body weighed maybe 300-350 lbs??? (My son and I could lift it slightly to adjust on the supporting 4X4s) I have a convertible, so chains were attached between the upper door hinge and where the shoulder harness screws into.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:23 AM
boatmark
Advanced

Thanks for the input so far.

I had also thought about doing it with two engine lifts. My car has bonded on glass bumpers and I thought it might give me some fudge room to clear if I could jockey the lifts independently.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:17 AM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also used an engine lift (Cherry Picker) and lift straps, the only thing was that I had to tie knots in the straps to shorten them a few inches in order to achieve the height to clear the frame.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:22 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 427basketcase
I also used an engine lift (Cherry Picker) and lift straps, the only thing was that I had to tie knots in the straps to shorten them a few inches in order to achieve the height to clear the frame.
Shak!! I did this as well for those reasons and my garage ceiling is only 8 feet... My drive way is probably on a 20-25% grade, so no way I could do this outside... My HOA would've loved that!!!

Rogman
Old 12-30-2011, 02:27 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did my body lift by myself. I bought a set of lifting straps from Corvette America (Eckler's, Corvette Central, Zip... they're all the same). If I had to do this again, I would have gone up into my garage attic and re-enforced the roof trusses, then suspended a chainfall overhead.

As it was I used my engine hoist. The straps in this case were too long so I had to shorten them up. And even then I wouldn't get enough clearance to clear the body from over the chassis. So I took the four wheels off, lowered the chassis on to wheel dollies - that gave me about another 8" of space which was enough.

I raised the body up, pushed the chassis back into the garage and then moved a custom made body dolly under the body. Lowered the body and rolled it into a temporary car port tent behind the garage.

I'd guesstimate the body to weigh about 600 lbs completely stripped. When I go to reattach the body, I'll do it sections rather than do a body drop.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:45 PM
72 bucket of parts
Instructor

Engine Hoist.

Kelley
Old 12-30-2011, 02:58 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Pulled mine myself but you really need another to help. It doesn't weigh much if interior is stripped. Mine was front heavy which caused a problem because I was alone. I didn't remove the doors but should have.

I saw someone use a front end loader on here before and it looked like the way to go if you have one available. No problems lifting and easier to move around than an engine puller.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by heckys66
I use my engine hoist (HD).
Attach straps or chain to both out board seat belt holes, and the studs for the hood latches in the fire wall.
Well balanced, and works every time. This is my recent project 69.

Does that work as well on a coupe? I imagine with the t tops off it probably would.

I took mine off with a HD lift and nylon tow strap as well. I welded up a balancer/load leveler for when it's time to put the body back on. But the seat belt location looks pretty darn fool proof.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:33 AM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

When we took the body off of my 76 TT, we hooked four straps to a lift and pulled it. I did not have access to the lift when I put it back on, nor the four straps. (similar to these with the flat hooks)

The straps are generally around $20 and I hated to spend $80 on something that I would never use again. My neighbor runs a warehouse and he called a truck driver that loaned me a pair for a week. My friend brought over a cherry picker (the HF one that most people have) and it worked fine. I have 8' ceilings, but a bulkhead that covers the rear 1/4 of the garage, so I was worried about clearance. It was not a problem.
I used 2 straps instead of four when I put it back on. I thought that way I could easily adjust the balance if the front or back were heavy by moving the picker forward or back and then ratcheting snug the straps. I got lucky and it was balanced perfectly. I did not feel too comfortable moving the body on the picker, so (again) my friends brought over wheel dollies and we slid the rolling chassis over under the body. I too have a steep driveway.
In case you have not noticed:
1. I have really good friends.
2. I am really cheap.

As far as tips... The more friends the better, and also go slowly because there will always be some ground cable or something that you forgot to free up.
Good luck!
-brent
Old 12-31-2011, 02:17 AM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rogman16
I used a engine hoist, but it was very precarious... Mine was very nose heavy when it came off the frame
Rogman

Did everything myself....I also had to tie knots in my straps. The ceiling in my garage, like others have posted, is only 8Ft. My driveway is also on a significant decline, so rolling everything outside really wasn't the best option for me. In the garage however, I had trouble with the boom of the engine hoist hitting the ceiling before I could get the body high enough to roll the chassis out. I ended up tying more knots in the straps to get the clearance I needed. Left doors on, but gutted the rest of the car. Mine was also a bit nose heavy, most likely from poor placement of straps, but I managed. My only 2 regrets were that I was too stubborn to ask for anyone's help and when I finally got the body up high enough to roll the chassis out, the body shims started falling out. I totally forgot to pay any attention to where they came from and now the majority of them are mixed up. Guess i'll figure it out when its time to put the body back on! Best of luck to you!!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:33 PM
gkz
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spdrcr29

...when I finally got the body up high enough to roll the chassis out, the body shims started falling out. I totally forgot to pay any attention to where they came from and now the majority of them are mixed up....
At least you had shims...

Get notified of new replies

To Lift off the body - -

Old 12-31-2011, 06:42 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

No problems here with an engine hoist. We performed few test lifts to find the center of gravity. Only thing removed were the seats. I left the t-tops on because I did not like the amount of pressure the straps put on the doors. I also had a person lifting the nose at all times until it was on the dolly.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:20 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Lots of inspiring ideas of how to accomplish a body lift with ingenuity to work around workspace limitations. My setup is not unlike what many of you describe, 8 ft, ceiling, two-car garage a do-it-yourselfer.

Originally Posted by 80Baby
I did my body lift by myself. I bought a set of lifting straps from Corvette America (Eckler's, Corvette Central, Zip... they're all the same). If I had to do this again, I would have gone up into my garage attic and re-enforced the roof trusses, then suspended a chainfall overhead.
My two-car garage has an 8" cinder block wall that separates the two stalls...formerly a beach cottage. We are goin to drop the wall and put up a laminated beam up and trying to figure out how to configure it for body lift.

As it was I used my engine hoist. The straps in this case were too long so I had to shorten them up. And even then I wouldn't get enough clearance to clear the body from over the chassis. So I took the four wheels off, lowered the chassis on to wheel dollies - that gave me about another 8" of space which was enough.
Great idea

Did everything myself....I also had to tie knots in my straps. The ceiling in my garage, like others have posted, is only 8Ft. My driveway is also on a significant decline, so rolling everything outside really wasn't the best option for me.
Just had pavers put in so it would be easier to roll a dolly around but again that 8 ft ceiling limitation.

Also like the idea of a temporary car port to house the body when confronted with a two-car stall setup.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:43 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 483 Likes on 351 Posts

If you have the energy to make something like this H, it worked perfectly:

It was a body lift that my friend did last year. Body placed back on this past week:

He was fortunate to have 3 guys help who have done body off restorations of their cars and have assisted others. You might want to complete your profile to at least town, and state. Perhaps there are others close by willing to help. Cant imagine doing this project without a lift.

Quick Reply: Lift off the body - -