Sponsored by:

It's like a whole new car!! TKO-600

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 10:40 PM
'Bochawa72
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default It's like a whole new car!! TKO-600

Well I have my 72 back from the shop. I had my Keisler TKO-600 and new half shafts installed. I typically do my own work but this time I'm glad I didn't. Due to a busy work schedule and a newborn in the house it just wasn't an option. My welded in crossmember and beyond rusty half shafts were also the deciding factor. The guy at the shop told me a day easy, and it turned into three due to bolts that had rust-welded themselves into place. My wife gave me 'permission to get it installed' for my birthday. I took the hint and I'm glad it's done and not laid up in my pathetic garage for another two weeks!

With all new U joints the car feels like it drives in a straighter line and the steering actually feels tighter. The 500-1000 mile suggested break in period is pure torture. You are encouraged to refrain from high RPM's. :toe tap: I opted for the upgraded carbon fiber blocker rings that promote smoother shifts and they are also supposed to help with the missed 2 to 3 shift. I have only driven one other TKO and it was 5+ years ago so I can't tell if the upgraded rings were worth the money or not. The shifts feel tight as hell compared to the muncie though. I was told this would loosen up throughout the break in period too. And the throws are so short! Reminds me of the short shifter I put into a Mitsubishi I used to have.

As far as driving it goes WOW. What an upgrade. I have a 383 with 460hp/and 450ft.lbs with a set if 355's in the back. The TKO-600 really woke it up. And I can't believe I can hear myself think on the highway with side pipes!! Not sure if it's the lack of screaming engine noise or what but 90+ mph isn't scary at all anymore(could be the new U joints too.) If you don't care about NCRS then get one of these bad boys! If you do then I have a Muncie for sale!

Old 12-31-2011, 10:57 PM
fugawi
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dat shweeet on of my next mods.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:23 PM
Clubby99
Burning Brakes

May I ask how much you paid for the install?
Old 12-31-2011, 11:51 PM
'Bochawa72
Pro

Install was about $425 for the trans and half shafts. They even made a bracket and welded my old shifter to it so I could use it with the TKO. The old trans, linkages, driveshaft and half shafts were even boxed back up for me. What I'd want with those old POS half shafts is beyond me but the fact they gave em back surprised me. I don't usually take my car to a shop so I don't know if this is standard procedure but I was pleased. The shop is Big Boys Auto in Virginia Beach. Apparently they got their start with drag cars and now to make ends meet they do work on everything but they prefer the old cars like ours. So four bills at their place or a month of cussing in my crappy under-tooled garage.... Happy to be driving again!
Old 01-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Clubby99
Burning Brakes

$425 is an excellent deal. I'm being quoted around $1,000 here in California. Anyone in the SF Bay area know a cheaper price for quality work?

Boch, I totally agree with you... know your limitations. Like you, I know I can do it (at least I tell myself that) but know better to have a shop do it. For all the reasons you described. A TKO is near the top of my list for my 72. Enjoy!
Old 01-01-2012, 03:32 AM
UberLegend
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$425 for some proffessionals that know what they're doing.....I'd go for it like a shot. 6spd....the only way to go.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 694 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

About 8 years now for mine. Really helped with the sidepipes when on the highway. I opted for the .64 OD.
You'll find yourself taking more and more road trips.
In 2010 drove from Newton IA to Mobile, Al and back (3K miles), no way would I have tried that with the old muncie.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:21 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

The trannie will definitely feel and shift better after ~500 miles. Mine did.

Get notified of new replies

To It's like a whole new car!! TKO-600

Quick Reply: It's like a whole new car!! TKO-600