Sponsored by:

cut exhaust pipe-do I need splice or?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:16 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Default cut exhaust pipe-do I need splice or?

To remove my gas tank, I need to cut one side of the exhaust pipe. It is one long pipe and I know where to cut, but it is the reconnecting part of the job puzzling me.

Since I have no welding equip nor experience, I thought about using the Walker Exhaust 33978 - Walker Mega Clamp to re attach pipe.

I am thinking there needs to be a short splice and then connect the clamp, but don't know for sure. Anyone tried this approach?

1969 350 4 speed.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:26 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The Walker Mega Clamp should hold fine. Some late model muffler kits come with these same clamps as a means of connecting the new muffler to the exhaust system.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:48 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
The Walker Mega Clamp should hold fine. Some late model muffler kits come with these same clamps as a means of connecting the new muffler to the exhaust system.
Thanks, I'll order the clamp and not worry about extra pieces to finish the job.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

A stainless steel "butt to butt" band clamp is another option that will also work fine. Check Jegs.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:06 PM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Coupling joint can be bought at most auto parts stores. Just go the the exhaust section and you will find it and the clamps. Cheap fix.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:33 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

If you can't just remove the piece that's in the way, it must be some kind of custom, one piece, welded together system. Sure is a shame to have to cut it. Are you sure you can't just unbolt it and at least move it a little to get the clearance you need? At the very least, put some thought into where you cut it, for ease of re-assembly and possible future clearance issues.

Scott
Old 12-22-2011, 10:14 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by scottyp99
If you can't just remove the piece that's in the way, it must be some kind of custom, one piece, welded together system. Sure is a shame to have to cut it. Are you sure you can't just unbolt it and at least move it a little to get the clearance you need? At the very least, put some thought into where you cut it, for ease of re-assembly and possible future clearance issues.

Scott
I unbolted the support holding the muffler and that dropped the exhaust about 1.5 inches. Second, unbolted the support after the transmission xmember-- down about another inch. Didn't see any other supports to unbolt, but will take one more look before cutting into pipe. Looks like I wil need to drop about 4 more inches to clear the gas tank-- it is completely free now only obstructed by the muffler.

My concern is after cutting the pipe and then reattaching with collar--even with a fiberglass prewrap, will create an undersireable exhaust leak. Still thinking a short splice, fiber pre wrap, then bolted collar to give me best outcome without a welder.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:19 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Is there a welded-in H-pipe, or anything like that, that connects the two sides? If not, unbolt the exhaust from the header, maybe you can twist it enough to get the clearance.

Scott
Old 12-22-2011, 10:20 PM
ctroadster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after you cut the pipe and r&r the tank, put the walker clamp on the pipe temporarly and then drive it to the muffler shop and have them weld it back together. I think thats what I will be doing when I do this project
Old 12-22-2011, 11:46 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

No need to stress over this.
It's a 15 minute job.
Cut the pipes behind the xmember with a sawzall, scratch or grind orientation marks thru the cut line (no need if the rear has an h or x pipe joining), wrap fiberglass under the band and tighten. Use lots of antiseize on the bolt threads.

These have been on for years and the exhaust dropped a bunch of times and they don't leak or move. Pipes are as if they are one piece.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:03 AM
MalibuVLX
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I understand from the Power Block folks that the new style clamps are way better that the old style u clamp because you can still remove and re install that type because it does not leave an indention. If you can't weld it back, the clamp is more than sufficient.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:14 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by noonie
It's a 15 minute job.
Cut the pipes behind the xmember with a sawzall, scratch or grind orientation marks thru the cut line (no need if the rear has an h or x pipe joining), wrap fiberglass under the band and tighten. Use lots of antiseize on the bolt threads.

These have been on for years and the exhaust dropped a bunch of times and they don't leak or move. Pipes are as if they are one piece.

Very helpful. I cut as described with an air grinder and kept supported with the bungee. I'll send a finish photo when completed. Thanks!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:14 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by noonie
It's a 15 minute job.

OK, done for now-thanks for the help

Get notified of new replies

To cut exhaust pipe-do I need splice or?

Quick Reply: cut exhaust pipe-do I need splice or?