Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gender and personality of your vette?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 01:21 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

A while back I had a 77 Corvette, then we had a 70 Coronet and now a 76 Corvette my little girl gets confused when she says what we have.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:41 AM
myjunker67
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 67 is named the mid-life mobile,my ex wife named it that when it came home in a bunch of boxes, 12 yrs ago!i drove it for the first time last summer,now i know what she meant
Old 12-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Lots and lots of people understand IT'S an inanimate object, does not have a gender, and IT also doesn't have a "name" any more than my doorknob does.

"Some even think it's odd?"

Yikes.

When I saw this thread, I was wondering how long it would be before you rang in!

As long as I am posting: Carlisle 2008, I was looking to buy a C3 and had the wife and kids with me. When the kids saw a car they really liked, they would ask me the name of the paint color. By lunch time, I realized they were using the paint colors as "names" for the cars. The cars I liked were Warbonnet Yellow, Steel Cities Grey, and Bridgehampton Blue. So in a way, my car does have the name "Bridgehampton Blue", but I would never say something like "I'm going to take Bridgehampton Blue out for a ride."
Old 12-06-2011, 09:11 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by PKguitar
When I saw this thread, I was wondering how long it would be before you rang in!

As long as I am posting: Carlisle 2008, I was looking to buy a C3 and had the wife and kids with me. When the kids saw a car they really liked, they would ask me the name of the paint color. By lunch time, I realized they were using the paint colors as "names" for the cars. The cars I liked were Warbonnet Yellow, Steel Cities Grey, and Bridgehampton Blue. So in a way, my car does have the name "Bridgehampton Blue", but I would never say something like "I'm going to take Bridgehampton Blue out for a ride."
It's one thing for kids to have names for inanimate objects. It's something completely different when presumed mature adults do it.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:29 AM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It does take imagination to think of so called "inatimate objects" and to develop personalities with and for them, give them names, relate to but if you use your machine at some point if you have imagination you inevitably will start to form a sort of partnership with it as you use it and when you do that partnership is no longer just steel, springs, oil and gas.

One can live without imagination as some of you suggest and prefer but then, if you have any creativity at all in you, why would you?

I vote for naming 'em because it means you've learned well enough to develop a kind of partnership with your Vette, or your sailboat or anything complex that takes complicated steps to operate well and is beyond that of objectivity.

One man's opinion...

Lance P.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:19 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by MaryS
It seems that most vettes are girls: Shirley or Kerri or Donna or Lizzi or such . Am I the only one that has a male vette? Chime in, I want to know about the gender and personality of your C3.

Mine is named Mozart because he is beautiful, powerful and moving. He growls like a guy, rumbles and throbs. Yours?
Only on a Corvette forum....**** like this makes me wish I would have built a another Nova
Old 12-06-2011, 11:22 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Well, if he wasn't 'pulling our [respective] leg(s)', it would have been worse....
Old 12-06-2011, 01:55 PM
MaryS
5th Gear

Sheesh, some people sure would like to take a fluffy and light hearted topic a little seriously. Naming a car is fun, it's not like those that name their car think that the car is actually another flesh and blood person. Boats are often named and female. Why the hostility for something fun?
Old 12-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Slotehog
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do we name hurricanes?

Some people name inanimate objects others think it's lame.

Regardless, those of you who have nothing nice to say shouldn't have clicked on the thread entitled: "Gender and personality of you Vette?"

Andy

PS
What do hurricanes and marriage have in common?
In the beginning there's lots of sucking and blowing and at the end you lose your house.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by bashcraft
It's one thing for kids to have names for inanimate objects. It's something completely different when presumed mature adults do it.
Yes, when the kids were little, I had my first Explorer, the kids called it "Dora" (from the show "Dora the Explorer" for those who are far from having little kids). I generally called it "my truck".

I don't have any hostility for people who name their cars. I just think it is in the same category as guys who name their phallus.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:46 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default You have led a very sheltered life!

Yes, when the kids were little, I had my first Explorer, the kids called it "Dora" (from the show "Dora the Explorer" for those who are far from having little kids). I generally called it "my truck".

I don't have any hostility for people who name their cars. I just think it is in the same category as guys who name their phallus.
I'm laughing with you, Pk. You must really be a treat...most wives would kill to have a guy as straight arrow as you are! You go, Pk!

I'm laughing at the last sentence really a lot. Thanks for the laugh.

Lance P.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:23 PM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just think it is in the same category as guys who name their phallus.

But not as funny. Well, maybe the CF member who named his car, Rosebud.

Which reminds me of the 2 & 1/2 men episode where the white guy's ex named his ***** snickerdoodle, but the black guy's ex named his Mr. Roundtree; you know, Richard Roundtree? SHAFT!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 07:15 PM
RRedman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So none of you guys saw the movie "Cars?" Of course they have personalities!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:25 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

1980 Corvette, and she is definitely female. Needs constant attention. But she's worth it. I chose the name Yvette, I think it's pretty obvious why.

Scott
Old 12-06-2011, 08:47 PM
BPHORSEGUY
Melting Slicks

Location: SUFFIELD CT USA 2023 C8 CORVETTE UN-MODIFIED FINALIST
Received 655 Likes on 351 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My '77 is named "THE VETTE"!
Old 12-06-2011, 11:39 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RRedman
So none of you guys saw the movie "Cars?" Of course they have personalities!

My eight-year old daughter has been calling my 68 "McQueen" almost since she could talk

I just call it the Vette, or any number of other names the mods here would frown on if I mention them the wife calls it "Your Corvette" that works too
Old 12-07-2011, 03:50 AM
thegavel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last night I watched a documentary about
the Mars rovers "Spirit" & "Opportunity"
and each scientist (male & female) involved with the missions,
referred to them (individually) as "SHE".

Get notified of new replies

To Gender and personality of your vette?

Old 12-07-2011, 07:35 AM
MalibuVLX
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Waldo

I purchased my 69 Vert from the original owner in Waldorf Md, so, he, is named Waldo. The only thing though, it makes me think of the nerdy Waldo in the Van Halen video way back when. He is definitely not a nerd w/ 11.0 to 1 compression. Haha.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:03 PM
cm2dinger
Racer

Originally Posted by MalibuVLX
I purchased my 69 Vert from the original owner in Waldorf Md, so, he, is named Waldo. The only thing though, it makes me think of the nerdy Waldo in the Van Halen video way back when. He is definitely not a nerd w/ 11.0 to 1 compression. Haha.

Think of it more towards the old wheres Waldo books. It was a long hard search to find the "right" one but now you did your happy.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:37 PM
couperdecar
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've found over the years that it's usually something extraordinary that happens before a car gets named. I 've had MANY cars over the years and only 2 were named. A '76 Chrysler that everyone called "Earl" and a '37 Plymouth Coupe that everyone called "Couperdecar". Each had a long story on how it got named. Most of my buddies knew the story or were even part of it. All the buddies were the same. Some of their cars had names because there was a story behind it. Naming a car makes a connection with people - unless they don't know the story. Then people just think youre wacked in the head

Quick Reply: Gender and personality of your vette?