Sponsored by:

Build details

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 07:21 PM
cmerrick
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Build details

Is it possible to detemine the build details from the VIN of a '71 convertible? Would there be a build plate riveted somewhere? I have no other documentation on the vehicle. The car was originally my brothers and he passed away a number of years ago. Finally getting around to restoring it.

VIN is 194671S105630

Thanks
Old 11-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi c,
The VIN number you posted tells the model year of the car '1', the body style '67' (convertible) and the build sequence number '5630', (the 5630th car built in model year 71).
The trim tag plate, (pop-riveted to the hinge pillar on the the driver's side), will give a code for the original exterior and interior colors, and a code for the approximate build date for the car (within a day or two).
The optional equipment was listed on the window sticker and a build sheet that was glued to the top of the gas tank during assembly. People often find the sheet sheet on the tank, but how well it has survived, (and how readable it is), varies from car to car.
There are often clues on the car itself that are seen as its disassembled that indicate how it was originally equipped.
Hope this helps!
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-26-2011, 08:53 AM
cmerrick
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Alan. Some of the obvious details are it's a 4 speed car and has AC. Eventually I'll get the diff and tranny codes. The original motor whereabouts is unknown. I would assume the tank needs to be dropped to get the tank sheet? The inside of the tank is very clean so it might have been replaced at some point. The trim tag is for black interior and Bridgehampton Blue paint.

Since this is not an original car, paint will be HOK Midnight Blue Pearl ove a black base.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by cmerrick
...Is it possible to detemine the build details from the VIN of a '71 convertible? VIN is 194671S105630...
Some. We know you have a 71 convertible, assembled in early January, 1971 (#5630).

Did you know your would probably have been assembled in November or December, 1970 had there not been a strike at the plant?

Get notified of new replies

To Build details

Quick Reply: Build details