C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Advice/Am I getting myself into trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:13 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

your time will be better spent doing your homework.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:35 PM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Any Vette that cheap will need tons of work, be careful of the hidden cost associated with putting these classics back together. I appreciate your enthusiasm on wanting to purchase and work on one yourself however the cost will add up fast. My first suggestion on any car that you are considering will be make a budget first. Cost of car = X, Paint + Y, Engine work = Z etc…in other words the sum of the parts are more than the whole. If you take this step, don’t let your emotions drive the purchase…consider more than one car and you may end up paying more upfront to get a better base car. Don’t be shy on asking the Forum their opinions…they give freely!

Now my fatherly sage advice is…don’t buy it. You may need the money to purchase a better driver for yourself in lieu of a play car, plus you may need it for other curve ***** that life throws at you.

BTW…good luck on your ME degree…I’m a EE.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:18 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

He is working towads a Mechanical Engineering degree - that takes serious drive. If he has access to some family to help him out (with the repairs / build) he'll do just fine.

$2,500 is a reasonable price if it runs and is solid. I just picked up my first Corvette a couple of weeks ago - it need lots of work and I'm still thrilled I now own a Corvette. If your hearts in it I say go for it! Just buy smart and make sure you stick with the project once you start and you'll have a blast and end up with something you can be proud of.

Good luck!
Adam
Old 11-22-2011, 05:23 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Oh BTW, you'll get conflicting advice just about every time you post here. It's all good advice, just take it all in and weigh your decisions. Sounds like you've already done some homework here. You might just hang here on the forum for a while before you jump in. I wish I had spent a year reading everything on CF before I bought mine. I got fairly lucky and got a good base car for my first project car. You will love it and hate it, but usually not at the same time. It has taught me many skills beyond the mechanics. Things like patience, persistance, decision making, budgeting, goal setting, dealing with frustration . . . all of these skills will augment your education very nicely. Even at my age, I'm still learning. Just make sure you have fun doing it and that your goals are realistic. Again, if it were me, I'd learn as much as I can first, then go shopping. Good luck with school and your car selection. C3's are the coolest cars in the world and they just need to find good homes now.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Russ W
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders
-long post incoming, you have been warned-

Back story:
I'm a 19 year old from rural south GA. I became interested in cars when I was 15, but come from a family that has no automotive interests/abilities whatsoever. I'm currently in college for a mechanical engineering degree. I've got about $5500 saved up from working, plus my dad said he'd chip in maybe 20% because he supports the project. I've got college basically covered and have reliable daily driver. My knowledge of cars is decent, considering that all I've been able to do is read automotive textbooks and look at diagrams (Mom won't let me near her old minivan). However, I have no practical experience working on them. We do have some family friends who have some mechanical skills if I get truly stuck (one is an airplane mechanic who does all, and I mean all, of his own automotive work).

So I guess y'all can see what's coming. I'm looking for a project car.

The Car:
Originally, I had been looking at 1st gen miatas and e30 bmw's, however, I've always loved c3 corvettes. While browsing around on craigslist, I came across this car.

Here's the ad:
http://valdosta.craigslist.org/cto/2673011987.html

The details:
it's only had 1 previous owner, and has about 70,000 miles (don't remember the number off the top of my head). That owner died and his daughter sold it to the current owner. When it was sold, it was still being upgraded by the former owner, so the current owner had a local mechanic finish the job (who as far as I know is fairly reputable). It's had new headers, "high performance" pistons, bigger brakes, new water pump, new starter, side pipes, a different torsion bar, and possibly a new clutch (the current owner couldn't remember when I called him but promised to get his receipts in order by the time I came to see the car). After these upgrades he drove it for a year, but he's a construction worker and has had economic problems. Because of the fuel economy he went ahead and parked it. And there it sat for about 2 years under a tarp. Now he's trying to sell it.

Some more details:
Currently, the front tires are dry rotted, the interior is pretty worn and so is the paint. He claimed that it started just fine when he put fuel into the carburetor, but that there's water in the fuel tank and that it needs to be drained. and he's asking $2500

Now, the biggest issue I'm concerned with is rust. I know to check around the A pillars and the windshield, plus along the frame, especially in front of the rear tires. Basically, I don't really car what the car looks like. I just want something to work on that isn't a complete basket case. However, $2500 has left me with cold feet. The miata's and e30's I was looking at were all in the neighborhood of $1000. While I would have no problems shelling out the extra money for the corvette because a running c3 is my dream car (even if it doesn't have chrome bumpers lol), I don't want to walk into more than I can handle.

So, that's why I'm here. And advice?
Price is not bad. A lot of crap out there for much more. Check the frame. Expect the floor pans to be rotted. Why is there water in the gas tank?? Good luck
Old 11-22-2011, 09:28 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's your motivation http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...storation.html Jeremy started in about the same boat. He has learned more at a young age than everyone who is telling you NOT to do it will ever know. But, understand that the thread he started is 4 years old and he still has a ways to go (but the end is in sight for sure). So it's gut check time. Do you want a running good looking car to drive next summer? Or do you want to understand how every system works? If you chose the later, do you have a place to work on the car for a peroid of years? If so, consider the project your ME degree thesis.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Colonel Sanders
Heel & Toe

@ Russ W - there is a visible crack in the fuel tank that is right under the fuel cap up and to the right of the actual hole that the gas goes in
picture here: http://tinypic.com/r/27wrvig/5

Well, just made it back from seeing the car. Lots of good, but also a few pretty bad points.

The Good:
-A little gas in the carburetor and it fired up instantly... like faster than the 2010 mazda3 I have.
-the side pipes sound wonderful. and I'm sure my neighbors/mom would love to hear them.
-the guy is all round pretty helpful. showed my his receipts and gave me his mechanics number. had no problems with me prying off the kick panel and poking around under the car for 20 minutes
-it's a c3, of course it's awesome

The Bad:
-it was dark and hard to see, especially around the window (to check for bird cage rust)
-for the rest, I'll just let you see the pictures

The interior that he said was terrible. To be honest, I thought it was in pretty decent shape. Oh, and that scrawny kid by the kick panel is me lol

in front of the rear tire. a lot of the light colored stuff is dirt from the dirt road he lives on. I took the picture before I scraped it off, but underneath it, the frame is fine. Overall, the both sides of the frame seemed solid. I didn't see any holes/cracks/whatever. just lots of surface rust

Dad took some of these pictures. I think this is from the front looking up at the bottom of the radiator? Not what I wanted to see..

with the kick panel gone. pretty bad

its hard to tell in the previous picture, but because for some reason the flash didn't go off, you can see more clearly the abundance of rust flakes/chunks sitting there. kinda scary. And a little strange because around the windshield, I couldn't see much rust.

And lastly, looking up and into the kick panel space.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Magnet
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Researching threads and asking questions here on the CF forum is totally the way to go!!!

As a suggestion from any project that I have undertaken in the past, I always start by taking into consideration the tools and equipment required to do fixing needed or a restoration. Also, accessibility to a garage (or shop space) to do fixing.

Once the above is determined, the rest is all about time and money.

Last edited by Magnet; 11-22-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Colonel Sanders
Heel & Toe

Space I've got (once I get around to cleaning out our garage). The tools situation is kinda interesting. Basically dad has accumulated a huge pile of tools over the years from plumbing, electrical stuff, and lots of woodworking. However, we don't have any car specific stuff. I have a lot of sources to (long term) borrow stuff, but there's still quite a few tools I would need to buy, depending on what.

But right now I don't think it matter much since the rust on the corvette I went and looked at is pretty bad. At least around the kick panel which doesn't bode well for the bird cage, or that's what it sounds like from reading some rust threads. But I am curious to see what other people have to say about the rust.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:20 PM
CPeasley
7th Gear

This looks very similar to my '78 I picked up 18 months ago for $3,000 in Tuscaloosa. Same side pipes and all. I agree with parkerracing here, as long as you are looking for a project build it looks to be in the correct price range. My '78 started and ran when I bought it, but barley. It was scary at just 5mph. First thing I did was take the engine out and rebuild it anyway. I expect about 6 more months of wrenching before mine is back on the road, but I've enjoyed the build experience more than anything. This is my first corvette, and I've had to do a lot of learning on it. And the threads on this forum have been a tremendous help! If you have the pateince and determination to get down and dirty with the thing, and as long as most of the parts on the car are intact, (no major rust or bent frame parts either) you'll have fun with it. BTW, I drive through Bainbridge every 2 weeks on my way to Florida for work, and my next trip is December 4th. If you pick up a c3 and need some in person advice, drop me an email. I'm always available to help out other young car guys. chris.peasley@gmail.com
Old 11-22-2011, 10:30 PM
CPeasley
7th Gear

The rust under the radiator is pretty typical for these cars. My '78 was even worse in that area. Looks about average, really, as far as rust goes. My '78 had a horrible interior- moldy purple **** carpet falling through the rusted floor pans and dune buggy seats. Those side pipes do sound pretty sweet, don't they though?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Colonel Sanders
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the offer! However, I'll be back in school for the 4th. The main point of this car is to be a long term project. However, of all the potential problems I could encounter, bad body rust is the one that seems to be a deal breaker. At least judging by other people's threads. I can deal with some. But buying most of a new bird cage is kinda daunting
Old 11-22-2011, 10:36 PM
themetalman03886
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like an amazing price, I got my 76 for 5750 but it came out of a garage. I would be curious if it was in a wreck, does have replaced and unpainted bumpers on it. The sellers reason not driving it seems a little scetchy to me, couldn't afford the gas on it and let it sit for 2 years? Seems a little off to me
Old 11-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Colonel Sanders
Heel & Toe

He claims the rear bumper was a preference and that the front one he cracked loading the car up on a trailer (from when he bought the remains of the 1st owners project). I do have the vin, so if I decide on this car, I'll check to see if anything was reported. As for the price, it seems great with the exception of the pile of rust behind the front kick panel. That isn't very encouraging to me.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:43 PM
CPeasley
7th Gear

I went down to my garage and took some pics of the similar rusty spots on my vette so you can have a comparison to use, as soon as I can figure out how to get them uploaded I'll post them here.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:56 PM
CPeasley
7th Gear

These are the same spots on my '78. Hope it gives you a good frame of reference for you.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:58 PM
forvicjr
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Bought my 81 for two grand, There was no rust, but there also was nothing else besides a decent body. Interior was absolute ****. replaced every panel of the interior. mechanical part of the car was also a bust. I love my car though. Only way I would sell would be for a steel bumper car.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying Advice/Am I getting myself into trouble?

Old 11-22-2011, 10:59 PM
Colonel Sanders
Heel & Toe

the pictures aren't showing up for me. I use this site for image uploading. there's an option for that even has it ready for posting direct images on forums

http://tinypic.com/
Old 11-22-2011, 11:27 PM
CPeasley
7th Gear

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] Ok, still learning how to post pics. Building old corvettes I can do. Computer tech, I'd rather have a root canal!
Old 11-22-2011, 11:37 PM
Colonel Sanders
Heel & Toe

haha, I'd take computer stuff.. but building computers was my original "do it yourself" kind of project.

Your first picture looks better than the car I saw, at least in that spot. The 3rd one.. good grief, that's pretty bad. I'm not great at recognizing frame parts, where did it come from? (somewhere in the birdcage?)

Anyhow, how difficult/expensive does it end up being to repair the rust? Patchwork would be -relatively- easy and cheap, but buying replacement parts seems to be quite expensive

Quick Reply: Buying Advice/Am I getting myself into trouble?