C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Else Buy The OBX/China built sidepipes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:17 AM
gbarmore
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lonebull
Anyone have a recent ebay # on thi item? thanks lonebull
Email Danny Wong directly and you will probably save money vs. buying through ebay. I just did this and I got a set of stainless headers and pipes, shipping included for $650, that's less than 1/2 the cost of the hookers. Danny was great to work with but it usually took him about a day to get back to me so be patient. They only take PayPal and Money orders so be prepared for that. Mine are supposed to be here via FedEx on Saturday. Woo hoo! Too bad it's going to be a couple months before I can actually get them installed. Boo! Here's Danny's info (Thanks BOSTONCAMARO).

Danny Wong
Sparktec Motorsports
E-mail: danny@fuzionetics.com
eBay Store: www.stores.ebay.com/DaiLoD
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sparkt...s/211525546122
AIM: sparktecmotors

Last edited by gbarmore; 02-15-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Added credit to BOSTONCAMARO
Old 02-15-2012, 04:09 PM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I installed a set a few weeks ago. They didn't fit as nicely as others have stated but I don't blame the headers, I blame a previous owner as the body on my car isn't perfect. Nothing major just had to trim the rocker moldings.

Yesterday I received my Steelshields, plain and simple. They are well worth the price and look great. Took a temp reading when I got home last night from a local cruise and the surface temp was in the mid 70's with the tailpipe 120. I did wrap the muffler inserts with header wrap which helped.

WITHOUT COVERS

WITH COVERS

Last edited by palmbeachvette76; 04-04-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:40 PM
gbarmore
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Compliments on one gnarly looking ride PalmBeach, very well put together....! I really like the look of the Steelshields, they don't seem to distract much from the side pipes themselves...
Old 02-15-2012, 07:18 PM
demoke
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am very pleased with mine. I recently listed a post about my pipes turning a bronze Color up near the headers.(as you can see in the pic). This is the hottest part and seems to need extra tocsin to keep shiny.
I do love the sound and look. Rs
Old 02-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Clubby99
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great. I like the plain Steel Shield on your car. The others look too busy.

I think most of us had to trim the rocker moldings. But the same is true with Hookers.

OBX really rocks when it comes to quality and price. I think the Forum now finally agrees.

Originally Posted by palmbeachvette76
I installed a set a few weeks ago. They didn't fit as nicely as others have stated but I don't blame the headers, I blame a previous owner as the body on my car isn't perfect. Nothing major just had to trim the rocker moldings.

Yesterday I received my Steelshields, plain and simple. They are well worth the price and look great. Took a temp reading when I got home last night from a local cruise and the surface temp was in the mid 70's with the tailpipe 120. I did wrap the muffler inserts with header wrap which helped.

WITHOUT COVERS

WITH COVERS

Old 04-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Aussie Col
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So dissapointed
I put them on my C3 and thought they looked and sounded great. I only drive the car occasionally and was surprised to see holes appearing on both side around where the side pipes join the headers. I contacted both racing parts depot where I brought them (via ebay) and OBX who bring them in from China and they said I must have punctured them. I thought this was odd as the holes are on both sides in the same place. I took the sidepipe off and you can clearly see at 2 points on each pipe where the internal resonater is welded to the pipe - the welds have cracked and developed holes. I sent pictures to Peter at OBX and he changed his tune - but now says despite them advertising a lifetime warranty they will not replace them and has accused me of trying to scam them. I am so dissapointed and upset at the lack of customer service. I guess I will have to find someone to weld these properly for me. I guess its true - you get what you pay for. How can I post the pitures here?
Old 04-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

I am planning on purchasing a set as soon as I get my motor installed, but I will be running fuel injection. Has anyone added an o2 sensor bung? I am curious as to the placement, and availibility of stainless bungs.
Also, I think these would be great in a satin finish. Could the pipes be bead blasted to give this effect?
Old 04-04-2012, 02:22 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Aussie Col
I guess its true - you get what you pay for.

That statement might have meant something different many years ago that doesn't apply any now days.

What it has really come to mean as far as I am concerned now days is a term that sellers and silly buyers use to justify paying too much for something....

I saw somewhere on here someone calling something a "Corvette tax"

Yep seems any time "Corvette" is attached to a part the price goes up, even if the part fits many other cars and offers a better price from some other vender,

Things like import Side pipes and radiators are here to make a mark and save the savvy builder a few bucks, threads like this are priceless so we can weigh the pros and cons of such parts and decide are they really junk or junk because some angry usa vender says they are.

What impresses me is a person that builds their car with skills and savvy spending not some fellow who boasts how he "got what he paid for" spending double for every part in his build...

Old 04-04-2012, 06:59 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

So dissapointed
I put them on my C3 and thought they looked and sounded great. I only drive the car occasionally and was surprised to see holes appearing on both side around where the side pipes join the headers. I contacted both racing parts depot where I brought them (via ebay) and OBX who bring them in from China and they said I must have punctured them. I thought this was odd as the holes are on both sides in the same place. I took the sidepipe off and you can clearly see at 2 points on each pipe where the internal resonater is welded to the pipe - the welds have cracked and developed holes. I sent pictures to Peter at OBX and he changed his tune - but now says despite them advertising a lifetime warranty they will not replace them and has accused me of trying to scam them. I am so dissapointed and upset at the lack of customer service. I guess I will have to find someone to weld these properly for me. I guess its true - you get what you pay for. How can I post the pitures here?

This probably isn't any comfort to you, but back in the late 70s, I bought a set of the Hooker sidepipes, in the black painted finish. Problem 1, the black paint Hooker put on them burned off in a couple of weeks. They never specified that it was a paint good for shipping only. Problem 2, after just 2 summers of driving, the welds that attached the primary tubes to the collectors rotted out, and the collectors fell off, rendering the sidepipes useless.

I sent Hooker 2-3 letters, expressing my dissatisfaction...no response, and I couldn't get anybody to listen to me when I tried a phone call. Those things cost me $700 in 1977!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Satoa
Instructor

Did Danny quit carrying these? can't find 'em
Old 04-04-2012, 08:57 PM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Satoa
Did Danny quit carrying these? can't find 'em
Looks like there out of stock at the moment

http://www.racingpartdepot.com/servl...ipe-%26/Detail

Last edited by palmbeachvette76; 04-04-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Satoa
Instructor

Originally Posted by palmbeachvette76
Looks like there out of stock at the moment

http://www.racingpartdepot.com/servl...ipe-%26/Detail
Thanks PalmBeach - I was about to cry - just about to get back into a C3 and Hookers for my only choice? -AARRGGH

I'll bookmark that link...
Old 04-04-2012, 09:18 PM
optiman
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I was in contact with Danny, pipes out of stock. Couldn't wait any longer purchased SS hookers. Just finished installing today. I luv sidepipes, best upgrade ever!!
pictures to follow
Old 04-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Clubby99
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So dissapointed

I'd like to see some pics. The resonators are tack welded. Those pipes are stainless steel and thick. Difficult to puncture with tack welds.

Curious. No one else had that issue.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Aussie Col
5th Gear

Default drilled them out

I ended up drilling out and sealing the holes with stainless steel bolts and put muffler putty around the inside where the baffles join the side pipes. not happy with the look but at least i can use the car again. I'm going to buy some head shields to hopefully cover them up
Old 07-06-2012, 06:10 PM
optiman
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by optiman
I was in contact with Danny, pipes out of stock. Couldn't wait any longer purchased SS hookers. Just finished installing today. I luv sidepipes, best upgrade ever!!
pictures to follow

sorry really late posting, having too much fun
Old 06-14-2014, 09:59 AM
samdjr74
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I'm bringing another thread back from the dead, sorry. Has anyone been able to contact Danny lately? I know this info is old, just wondering if it's still good.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Else Buy The OBX/China built sidepipes?

Old 07-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Bfail
Instructor

Originally Posted by samdjr74
So I'm bringing another thread back from the dead, sorry. Has anyone been able to contact Danny lately? I know this info is old, just wondering if it's still good.
Danny had two resonated OBX pipes left and I picked one up from him last week. Since I couldn't find anyone else selling resonated or non resonated, I picked up a set and I believe he is out of stock now.

The inserts look like the hooker max flow and not the reverse flow. I hope they sound good. I was considering removing the inserts, but I am having second thoughts about trying to get those tack welds off. I am mostly concerned about sound and not performance, since I just have a regular old L48 and don't race it. If they really bog down my current performance, then I will take them out.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:01 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Any reports after using these pipes for a year?

Last edited by Richard Daugird; 12-30-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:43 PM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Great post!

This goes to prove that just because something is "China" made doesn't mean it's junk....in some cases it's a great product at a great price.
Right, a great product at a great price that puts great Americans out of work. You couldn't pay me to put Chinese parts on my car.

Quick Reply: Anyone Else Buy The OBX/China built sidepipes?