C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of home-painting my car, any one who did it and willing to give some advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:11 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Thinking of home-painting my car, any one who did it and willing to give some advice?

I just fed up looking at the scraches, cracks, paint peeling away .. etc, on the car's body, and since I did everything on this car myself since I bought it, I'm thinking of getting it painted at home by me as well (thats including prepping the car, stripping the old paint, applying the new paint, wet sanding .. etc), of course I never did that before and I can only guess what I can do in that regard. Now for those of you who have done it before, did you learn how to do it by reading some books or watching some videos and then applied what you learned? or have you been painting cars before and knew your way through the process already? .. in other words, is it worth taking the risk to learn the how-to and then apply it to your dear car?
Old 11-10-2011, 08:07 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

you will do better herehttp://forums.corvetteforum.com/paint-body-138/one of the tricks that i learned here was to buy a cheap tent ,and paint the car in it.you could even put the tent in the garage .
Old 11-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

I have seen some very nice looking paint jobs come out of home garages. We (a few of my buddy's) did my camaro in a garage in the early 80's. They had done the prep work on the 1983 ridler winner, so they knew the ropes. But we sprayed mine in candy in a 2 car garage. That paint still looked nice when I sold the car 8 yrs later.
Recently a fellow corvette club member sprayed his C3 in his garage. Paint looks fantastic, he credits his hvlp spray gun, but I think technique had more to do with it.
I will add, be prepared for 1 big mess. Sanding, primers, fillers more sanding, then the actual painting leaves a lot of cleanup. Best if you can dedicate or close off 1 side of your garage. Dust gets everywhere, regardless.

Last edited by Sunstroked; 11-10-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:37 PM
RobbSalzmann
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
I have seen some very nice looking paint jobs come out of home garages. We (a few of my buddy's) did my camaro in a garage in the early 80's. They had done the prep work on the 1982 riddler winner, so they knew the ropes. But we sprayed mine in candy in a 2 car garage. That paint still looked nice when I sold the car 8 yrs later.
Recently a fellow corvette club member sprayed his C3 in his garage. Paint looks fantastic, he credits his hvlp spray gun, but I think technique had more to do with it.
I will add, be prepared for 1 big mess. Sanding, primers, fillers more sanding, then the actual painting leaves a lot of cleanup. Best if you can dedicate or close off 1 side of your garage. Dust gets everywhere, regardless.
BTDT, agreed on all counts, particularly the mess aspect. I built a homemade dust collection thing and tried to keep the dust level managable with it, but your daily shop sweep & mop will be serious chore.

Its worth it though!

Good workout for the arms and shoulders followed by lots of satisfaction.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:21 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Go for it ! You can do it and its well worth it. 1st timer here. Did everything to my 68 body from taking it apart, stripping, bodywork, priming, and then LOTS of blocksanding, to the point of wiping it with the tak rag moments before my buddy shot it for me here at home. Went with Dupont products, BC-CC. Was a lot of work, but only a tiny fraction of the price. With the HVLP gun the fumes really were not all that bad. Built a little wall around the compressor with plastic to keep the dust down.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:47 AM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this for you in tech tips... under "OTHER" in the red bar at the top of the page.
I hope you find it useful!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=111&TopicID=3
Old 11-11-2011, 03:22 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I didn't know that we have a separate section for the body and paint, I'll be there for a while.

Thanks a lot guys, it seems that I will start planning for it seriously from now on.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:23 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by John 65
Go for it ! You can do it and its well worth it. 1st timer here. Did everything to my 68 body from taking it apart, stripping, bodywork, priming, and then LOTS of blocksanding, to the point of wiping it with the tak rag moments before my buddy shot it for me here at home. Went with Dupont products, BC-CC. Was a lot of work, but only a tiny fraction of the price. With the HVLP gun the fumes really were not all that bad. Built a little wall around the compressor with plastic to keep the dust down.

Wow, John! that looks impressive!, I hope mine will turn even half good as yours.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:25 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by sly vette
I found this for you in tech tips... under "OTHER" in the red bar at the top of the page.
I hope you find it useful!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=111&TopicID=3
Thanks for the link, I went through it quickly and it seems it has all what I'm looking for, I'll make a print out and read it thoroughly.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:40 AM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done several cars at home including my 71. One thing to keep in mind are the local laws most cities, counties and states have environmental laws that continue to get stricter and restrict the types of paint and how much you can paint in a residential area. Be aware of the health risk involved as well.

Last edited by Roco71; 11-11-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:11 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Painted mine (and a few others) in this little garage back in '94 using 'ol school tech. Razor blade striped, Ekler spray gelcoat, blocking 500 coats of acrylic lacquer primer surfacer follow by buckets of PPG 'Bright Yellow'.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:34 AM
RIO68
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Roco71
I have done several cars at home including my 71. One thing to keep in mind are the local laws most cities, counties and states have environmental laws that continue to get stricter and restrict the types of paint and how much you can paint in a residential area. Be aware of the heath risk involved as well.

Did a lot of night work and hoped everyone was inside!!!

Last edited by RIO68; 11-11-2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: move link
Old 11-11-2011, 09:42 AM
outlawkinser
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Read this posting. Might have some useful information.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...with-pics.html

Mike
Old 11-11-2011, 10:37 AM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

90 percent prep, 10 percent paint
Old 11-11-2011, 10:42 AM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Shot of the door of my 67 Camaro, sprayed at home in a little painting room I have set up.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow 72
Painted mine (and a few others) in this little garage back in '94 using 'ol school tech. Razor blade striped, Ekler spray gelcoat, blocking 500 coats of acrylic lacquer primer surfacer follow by buckets of PPG 'Bright Yellow'.

I really like your car from the color to the wheels and side pipes I assume that is a blower peaking through the hood!
Old 11-11-2011, 01:40 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I really like your car from the color to the wheels and side pipes I assume that is a blower peaking through the hood!
Ya think??

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of home-painting my car, any one who did it and willing to give some advice?

Old 11-11-2011, 04:04 PM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

The blower belt & pulley are dead giveaway......::
Old 11-11-2011, 04:30 PM
RobbSalzmann
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Yellow72, I think you're wearing a different scoop everytime I see your car! One for each day of the week?
Old 11-11-2011, 04:44 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back on topic... yes you can paint it yourself. Read up on the many ways to strip it and use one of them, then repair any cracks/divots/damage. Prime it using whatever your local paint jobber recommends and block it out, and block it some more. Practice your spray technique during theprimer phases and see if you can get your last prime coat to lay down absolutely smooth and run free... if yes then I would say you're ready for topcoats; I would not purchase "shiny" paints until you are certain you will attempt it yourself.

If at any time during this process you feel overwhelmed or under-talented you can certainly allow a pro to take up the job... you will have saved BIG bucks no matter how far you get because paint prep labor is very expensive. There is a wealth of knowledge and encouragement to be had here on this forum, and I for one think you can turn out a pretty nice job.

Quick Reply: Thinking of home-painting my car, any one who did it and willing to give some advice?