Sponsored by:

Curly bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:19 AM
commander_47
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Curly bumpers

I have an 81 that is going through a prettying up process.....and have a question for the group.

How in the world do you flatten out the curly bumpers. My nose has never been in an accident, yet under each blinker, intake grill the plastic has curled up.

By null at 2011-11-06
Old 11-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy a new bumper

But these bumpers can warp overtime....no real way to fix I believe...except for getting a new one.

I could be wrong though.

Might sound crazy....but maybe try heating it up and flattening it??? I wonder if someone has tried that before?
Old 11-06-2011, 12:37 PM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Could you not , on the underside, epoxy a metal bar stock the length of this portion , to give it strength ? Just a thought. If it were mine I would try this b4 investing in another bumper-fiberglass and NOT OEM...then repainting, etc. Seems like this could be an easy fix if you think hard enough.
1/4 X 1 X 12 -14 inches ????
Old 11-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Steve COSD
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 82 since 82. It looks to me like the nose somewhere in the area of the front license plate area it has been bumped. In the back of the nose is a plastic support that has areas of square pockets that may be damaged. Look under the nose of the car and see if there is any distortion to the front support that attaches to the frame. This area where the support to the frame could have been pushed toward the rear of the car. Most 80, 81, and 82 corvettes have damage to the front apoiler area. The reason is most were crashed into parking blocks because of driver inexperience and the spoiler being so low to the ground.
If you attemp to repair this it may become costly. If this is the original bumper any attempt may cause the bumper to crack into many pieces. The reason is the plastic for these bumpers have become very brittle with time.
Good Luck
Old 11-06-2011, 06:29 PM
commander_47
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve COSD
I have an 82 since 82. It looks to me like the nose somewhere in the area of the front license plate area it has been bumped. In the back of the nose is a plastic support that has areas of square pockets that may be damaged. Look under the nose of the car and see if there is any distortion to the front support that attaches to the frame. This area where the support to the frame could have been pushed toward the rear of the car. Most 80, 81, and 82 corvettes have damage to the front apoiler area. The reason is most were crashed into parking blocks because of driver inexperience and the spoiler being so low to the ground.
If you attemp to repair this it may become costly. If this is the original bumper any attempt may cause the bumper to crack into many pieces. The reason is the plastic for these bumpers have become very brittle with time.
Good Luck
It appears upon closer inspection that you are correct. There is a metal bracket that curves under the pointed nose to the bottom spoiler.

Looks like my "wife" (yeah, that's got to be it) must have hit one of those low parking blocks some decades ago .

The metal bracket is pushed up a bit. I took out the bolts that flank the metal bracket and hold the plastic bumper and this seems to have relieved some of the "curl".

If I can't fix it, it just gives me an excuse to put in a Daytona front end right?

Thanks for the assist.

Get notified of new replies

To Curly bumpers

Quick Reply: Curly bumpers