C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to C3s, what should I be looking for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to C3s, what should I be looking for?

Hey everyone,

Since my wife eliminated two of our cars and just got herself something to commute in we haven't had a backup commuter. I don't want to use my Z06 as a backup commuter as the freeways down here can ruin a car in a week and it doesn't see rain.

At various points in time I will probably have the convertible down to work on it, and I don't like the idea of not having a backup car.

I bought a 1971 Monte to restore but I'm finding it has more work (sheetmetal) than I really want to deal with.

I'm pretty all over the place at what I'm looking at right now ranging from 2003-2004 Silverado SS, Escalade EXT, 04-06 GTOs early 70s chevelles, firebirds, camaro, corvettes, skylarks, el caminos, Le Mans and GTOs. I have even been throwing around the idea of trading in my 02 vert for a C6 vert and buying a beater.

So again all over the place.

I figured I would ask what are some of the easily identified problems with C3s running 68-74 models? I would prefer a Corvette but in a price range of $8000-14000 I'm guessing finding the "right" car might prove difficult.

Thank you for any input. I know I can do a search and will be, but input from actual owners never hurts. Thank you.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:19 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

IF you can find a rust free car, you will be lucky....Kalifornia or not....

a TRUE Ca. car will not be a rust bucket but many are NE rust buckets...

the things to watch for are the windshield pillars/frame....look carefully through the glass to see the paint, any brown stains like around the VIN tag on driver's side...and you need pull the kick panels on bottom to examine there...

next issue is the frame on the rear kickup/over the wheel/axle assy...

in front, down lo where the T-arm goes into it's socket there....that whole area accumulates mud and rust through like mad, and it's a PIA and expensive to fix.....

other than that, treat it like any other car obvious accident repairs...etc....

Old 10-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mrvette
IF you can find a rust free car, you will be lucky....Kalifornia or not....

a TRUE Ca. car will not be a rust bucket but many are NE rust buckets...

the things to watch for are the windshield pillars/frame....look carefully through the glass to see the paint, any brown stains like around the VIN tag on driver's side...and you need pull the kick panels on bottom to examine there...

next issue is the frame on the rear kickup/over the wheel/axle assy...

in front, down lo where the T-arm goes into it's socket there....that whole area accumulates mud and rust through like mad, and it's a PIA and expensive to fix.....

other than that, treat it like any other car obvious accident repairs...etc....

I'll do a search on inspection panels, thank you. I'd prefer a convertible, any issues with those more than the coupes?

As far as engines go I know there seem to be quite a few different options, with original big block cars fetching more. I'm looking at smog exempt and numbers matching may not really be an issue since my original plan for the monte was a built big block like a 502.

How do C3s hold up with that kind of torque? Do the rears give out?

Can a later C3 be converted over to a metal bumpers body? How hard is that conversion? Thanks
Old 10-29-2011, 07:30 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 601 Likes on 317 Posts

Hey, I just bought a house in Wildomar (off of Gruwell. 3 car garage on one full acre)!

Anyway, I'm confused. It sounds like you have a ZO6 and a C5 vert?

Do you commute with the C5 now and you want a back up car to that?

I've had 4 C3's from 1970 to 1981. I used the 81 (4 spd car) as a DD for a little while way back in 1988-89. I lived in Ventura and worked in Westlake Village. Traffic wasn't too bad back then so it was not bad. The others were all play only cars.

I don't know what your commute is now (hope it's not over the 91!) but I don't think a C3 is a great DD, especially seeing how the newest one would be 30 years old now. I guess if you're commuting to Temecula or so it would be okay. Wouldn't want to drive one to O/C, Riverside or San Diego.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:34 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 601 Likes on 317 Posts

I think the stock rear would hold up to a ZZ502 motor without a problem unless you were drag racing with slicks.

Just saw a thread on here from a guy making metal bumper conversions. Looks pretty slick.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ChiliPepperGarage
Hey, I just bought a house in Wildomar (off of Gruwell. 3 car garage on one full acre)!

Anyway, I'm confused. It sounds like you have a ZO6 and a C5 vert?

Do you commute with the C5 now and you want a back up car to that?

I've had 4 C3's from 1970 to 1981. I used the 81 (4 spd car) as a DD for a little while way back in 1988-89. I lived in Ventura and worked in Westlake Village. Traffic wasn't too bad back then so it was not bad. The others were all play only cars.

I don't know what your commute is now (hope it's not over the 91!) but I don't think a C3 is a great DD, especially seeing how the newest one would be 30 years old now. I guess if you're commuting to Temecula or so it would be okay. Wouldn't want to drive one to O/C, Riverside or San Diego.

Yes, I have an 03 Z and an 02 Vert. The Z has 13k miles and I don't want to drive it to Ontario for however long I would need 1-2 weeks when the Vert might be down for mods, clutch, etc...

The wife has an Elantra but it wont function as something I could use for a week. She wants me to buy a truck or something, but I like the idea of a backup car that is not depreciating. I found another C5 for $10k, but really it seems VERY stupid to own 3 C5s. At least a C3 would be something different.

As far as DD duty it would be a few days or at most a few weeks at a time, nothing regular.

A 4 Speed gets what kind of mpg? I figure anything better than the 13 a truck usually averages and I have a good case to present to the wife.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:02 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Electron
I'll do a search on inspection panels, thank you. I'd prefer a convertible, any issues with those more than the coupes?

As far as engines go I know there seem to be quite a few different options, with original big block cars fetching more. I'm looking at smog exempt and numbers matching may not really be an issue since my original plan for the monte was a built big block like a 502.

How do C3s hold up with that kind of torque? Do the rears give out?

Can a later C3 be converted over to a metal bumpers body? How hard is that conversion? Thanks
Convertibles vs coupe, not really much difference with issues if cared for

502 torque- Might have a problem and need to beef up the rear end a bit more, depending on how you drive it.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by milo30
Convertibles vs coupe, not really much difference with issues if cared for

502 torque- Might have a problem and need to beef up the rear end a bit more, depending on how you drive it.
That would be long down the road after my C7 comes home. The C7 is going to "function" as my DD backup. The Z will stay a garage queen and at that point I could do something fun with the C3. Until then it would be used just as a nice driver.

I have been seeing some nice driver quality Verts just outside my price range, but it seems like slim pickings in my local area, plus prices always seem to be higher in SoCal.

I may have to expand the search, although driving several hundred miles in a car that old seems scary without knowing its reliability.

Of course buying from a forum member would always be a plus. I also have to look into the possibility of a loan as I don't have $14,000 cash and I know older cars have been an issue to finance lately.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:15 PM
jon1all
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I am a C4 owner just poking my head in the C3 section because I too am thinking about maybe picking up a C3 in the future... but as to your desire to have a DD Vette... have you considered a C4? They are the bargain of the Vette world right now and earlier cars (the L98-powered ones) can be had for a song right now... even 'verts... and completely within your price range. They are good cars and can make good DDs (I drive mine a couple times a week to work (56 mile commute)) as long as you make sure to get one well cared for (which mine was when I bought it). Anyway, the C4 may not be your favorite generation, but it is still a Vette and at least it wouldn't be another C5.

Anyway, since by your own admission you are "all over the place" on this... a C4 might be worth considering... and it would probably be easier to find a DD quality C4 than C3. Just something to think about... enjoy the hunt (which is half the fun anyway, right?).
Old 11-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jon1all
I am a C4 owner just poking my head in the C3 section because I too am thinking about maybe picking up a C3 in the future... but as to your desire to have a DD Vette... have you considered a C4? They are the bargain of the Vette world right now and earlier cars (the L98-powered ones) can be had for a song right now... even 'verts... and completely within your price range. They are good cars and can make good DDs (I drive mine a couple times a week to work (56 mile commute)) as long as you make sure to get one well cared for (which mine was when I bought it). Anyway, the C4 may not be your favorite generation, but it is still a Vette and at least it wouldn't be another C5.

Anyway, since by your own admission you are "all over the place" on this... a C4 might be worth considering... and it would probably be easier to find a DD quality C4 than C3. Just something to think about... enjoy the hunt (which is half the fun anyway, right?).
I don't want to mess with smog on a C4. I DD the convertible and a C4 is a lot less fun as a future project car than a smog exempt C3, 2 smog illegal C5s and a soon to be C7 are enough of a headache already without adding a fourth car that will need to pass smog. They are cheap and I've been looking at them.

Grand Sport number 399 came up for sale today at $22,000 with 100k miles. Too bad it is outside my range, something like that would be worth the investment.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:41 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Suggest C3 buyers guide by Richard Prince

Suggest you get a book called C3 buyers guide by Richard Prince, one of the best I have seen on C3 things to look for.

Also, my first reaction is a C3 would not be too good of a daily driver. Might be great fun, but this is a 30 to 40yr old automobile unless totally rebuilt and even then??

Agree with the above post, I would find a good 92 to 96 with the LT1 engine, bargins abound on these. When it comes project time, sell the C4 and get the project you want. My 2 cents.

Good luck and it is a buyers market!

Last edited by 20mercury; 11-06-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 20mercury
Suggest you get a book called C3 buyers guide by Richard Prince, one of the best I have seen on C3 things to look for.

Also, my first reaction is a C3 would not be too good of a daily driver. Might be great fun, but this is a 30 to 40yr old automobile unless totally rebuilt and even then??

Agree with the above post, I would find a good 92 to 96 with the LT1 engine, bargins abound on these. When it comes project time, sell the C4 and get the project you want. My 2 cents.

Good luck and it is a buyers market!
Yeah I'm considering that too, but you don't really think the C3 could function reliably for a 2 week interval? I'm not DD the thing all year long. It would be a backup car to the DD.

Are they that finicky?

I'm kind of on a 70-71 Pontiac Lemans kick right now too, and I can get a really nice one of those sub $10k. So we'll have to see how this plays out after I sell the Monte.

Thank you for the reading tip.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:24 AM
CHarper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

It depends on the car! I bought my 82 a few months ago in very good shape with 69000 miles and drive it 4or 5 trouble free days a week. Some here would say $14,500 for a CE was too much but i'm driving rather than working. Pick the right car and your down time will be less than in cheaper ones.

Get notified of new replies

To New to C3s, what should I be looking for?

Quick Reply: New to C3s, what should I be looking for?