Sponsored by:

Change color on int.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:35 PM
72 bucket of parts
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change color on int.

Anyone ever try to change the color of black door panels to something lighter? I found some black door panels but i need them to be '72 blue. Can that be done?

Kelley
Old 10-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

SEM automotive interior dye. I shot 68 code 411 dark blue SEM over the black the PO had left me.

SEM is good stuff.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:48 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Parts must be cleaned well with detergent to get all the old 'protectants' off them before re-dying. I suggest that you remove the trim materials off the door panel before you spray. If you don't want the trouble of removing the lock plate, just mask over it well.

If you don't have spray equipment, buy a PreVal gas canister/bottle sprayer at the auto body paint supply store where you get the SEM dye. It is very inexpensive and does a very good job of spraying the [thin] vinyl dye.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the dyes (Corvette America) say to use a primer or white base to cover black of darker colors. Not sure about SEM but I hear that its the best.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:14 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Corvette America sells spray cans. I would advise someone to use liquid dye (in a can). The main reasons are that I know how liquid SEM applies and that it will look the same as the original interior color and sheen; and that a spray can will not contain much liquid dye. It may take several spray cans to have the same coverage as a 1/2 pint can of liquid dye, so it's much more cost effective.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:35 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Corvette America sells spray cans. I would advise someone to use liquid dye (in a can). The main reasons are that I know how liquid SEM applies and that it will look the same as the original interior color and sheen; and that a spray can will not contain much liquid dye. It may take several spray cans to have the same coverage as a 1/2 pint can of liquid dye, so it's much more cost effective.

I couldnt agree more. I used Corvette America 68 dark blue dye and it wasnt even close to being correct. Went to the local body shop supply with my correct colored arm rest for them to copy from and had a pint of dupont vinyl dye mixed for 60 bucks. I put it in a cheapo harbor freight touch up gun and my interior came out fantastic.

Get notified of new replies

To Change color on int.

Quick Reply: Change color on int.