Sponsored by:

Conversation about valuations

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 06:14 PM
b1ghwx
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversation about valuations

First time poster... I have recently caught the 'fever' and have decided I want a 74-82 C3 - with 4speed. I have discovered that 4speed cars are difficult to find although it doesn't seem to affect asking prices?

I've been doing some research on Vette's, I've never owned one and never had any desire. Figuring out whats a fair price is confusing. I have seen several nice cars with wild variations in price. Here are two examples:

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/4508540488.html
http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/4509729048.html

Seems to me that the 'right price' for a clean, over 50k mileage, stock, 74-82 coupe is $5k-$9K. Are some sellers just too proud? Or, too cheap?

Last edited by b1ghwx; 06-08-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Hard to tell the condition of a car from craigslist photos. Looking one over closely reveals the real condition. The 74 looks nice and he seems to have it priced right. The 78 seems high. Expect to pay a premium for a car that really presents itself well. You are spot on with your price range, for something needing a little work. If completely done, and shows well, a bit higher. Try and build one, you'll understand.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:56 PM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I have to agree with the above.

The 74 is a nice looking car that, if anything else photographs well. It has rebuilt driveline components, and is at that entry level price range thats palatable.

The 78 is dreaming. If that car was kept in a bubble and had super low mileage, I could see asking that price, and maybe at some point someone would just have to have it.

If you are serious about getting a rubber bumper car, the white one sure is worth going to see in person.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:15 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

If I were you, I'd be all over that '74 if the frame and birdcage check out. As long as you aren't into originality.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:23 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

The 74 looks really nice, but white always photographs well.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:45 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

You're price range looks pretty good to me. Stick to your guns with the options you want, the production of these cars were very large (relative to other years). '79 will give you the best possibility for a 4-speed.

Goodluck!
Old 06-08-2014, 10:00 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

A well built auto is a lot of fun. There's good and bad aspects, regarding either a four speed or an auto. With an auto, I think it's an easier and cheaper aspect, to go with an overdrive, versus the manual. The original four speed is a hoot, but you'd be a sore **** rowing that thing for 400 miles, ask me how I know! Around town, it is a blast to drive, rowing a four speed and working the clutch is always special in my book.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:01 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,606 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Originally Posted by b1ghwx
I have discovered that 4speed cars are difficult to find although it doesn't seem to affect asking prices?
I don't have much experience with the rubber bumper cars. But in my experience the chrome bumper 4 speeds sell faster and bring anywhere from $2k to $4k more depending on the car with all else being equal.

I will be willing to bet as the rubber bump cars age they will follow suit. As cars move further into the category of toy the manual shift becomes much more desirable. YMMV
Old 06-08-2014, 11:25 PM
b1ghwx
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by qwank
If I were you, I'd be all over that '74 if the frame and birdcage check out. As long as you aren't into originality.
That would be my car - if not AT. Been looking awhile, every 'manual' is out of my area. Don't want to ship a car I can't look over first.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:32 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

That would be my car - if not AT. Been looking awhile, every 'manual' is out of my area. Don't want to ship a car I can't look over first.
Two options, then, either Patience or Inspection and Travel to get the Corvette yiu want. If you go the local route and wait, you might as well make yourself a Corvette savvy buyer and educate yourself thoroughly. There's a lot to learn about these cars, that's for sure
Old 06-09-2014, 12:46 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Iceaxe
I don't have much experience with the rubber bumper cars. But in my experience the chrome bumper 4 speeds sell faster and bring anywhere from $2k to $4k more depending on the car with all else being equal.

I will be willing to bet as the rubber bump cars age they will follow suit. As cars move further into the category of toy the manual shift becomes much more desirable. YMMV

The above is true for the rubber bumper cars as well. The four speed cars always bring more dough. This is also because of the rarity as well. Not exact numbers, just memory here, but close enough, that for 1974, 35k Corvettes were built and only 3,700 or about 10-11% were factory four speed cars.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:12 AM
overBlown
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The white one also has a 80-82 rear bumper which is a nice upgrade in my opinion.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:14 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I was dead set on getting a manual car also. I couldn't find a decent one in my price range so I bought the best Auto car I could find and swapped in a 5 speed.

I understand about not buying a car you cant look at though
Old 06-09-2014, 02:01 AM
hopeuntilwecant
Heel & Toe

great post op. im in the same boat and have been trying to discern whats reasonable pricing for these c3s as they tend to vary a ton in price in things like auto trader etc. Chrome bumpers definitely bring the price up a bunch.

best bet is to find one with as nice a shell as you can find with a good frame/birdcage as those tend to be the major issues with these cars as mentioned earlier. whatever other fixes/tweaks tend to be smaller and more managable.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:07 AM
hopeuntilwecant
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
Hard to tell the condition of a car from craigslist photos. Looking one over closely reveals the real condition. The 74 looks nice and he seems to have it priced right. The 78 seems high. Expect to pay a premium for a car that really presents itself well. You are spot on with your price range, for something needing a little work. If completely done, and shows well, a bit higher. Try and build one, you'll understand.
dont mean to derail ops thread, but am new to these cars as well, and as wondering if theres any ballpark idea of how much we should be looking to put into one to get it ready to drive regularly in the summer and be presentable aka not a show car but still turning some heads. (74-82) if we're getting it in the 7-9k range (assuming good body/frame/birdcage)? I know this varies car to car so its probably a difficult question to ball park, but am curious, and definitely don't want to get fleeced on my first vette.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:20 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You say you want a four speed, but post pics of two automatics. All 82s were automatics, so you can skip those when looking.

Good luck with the hunt.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:18 AM
Eljay
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

If you want the stick, get the stick. I had my wants, big block, four speed, convertible, no luggage rack. But.. a nice small block, coupe, with a luggage rack thats a great deal could be ok... but it had to be a 4 speed!

Get notified of new replies

To Conversation about valuations

Old 06-09-2014, 08:47 PM
b1ghwx
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
You say you want a four speed, but post pics of two automatics. All 82s were automatics, so you can skip those when looking.

Good luck with the hunt.

Those were just examples of the wild variations in asking price.

I'm convinced from actual sales on ebay, etc.) that the correct price is that 5-9k range for clean but not 'show' cars. What I'm most curious about is some sellers asking well over 10k when few cars appear to sell in that range?
Old 06-09-2014, 10:08 PM
Capkunu
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I'm most curious about is some sellers asking well over 10k when few cars appear to sell in that range?

If you don't really want to sell something, price it too high. This serves two purposes:

1. You get to keep the car

2. You've proven to the wife that the 'market isn't right at the moment.'
Old 06-09-2014, 10:15 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I think what you will find is that '74-82 cars in the $5-9K range usually have problems. Not to say that if you are patient you can't find a good car. If you move up to $10-12 the cars improve greatly. Those prices would be for a base automatic coupe. A 4 speed (or in the case of a '74 big block) will drive the price up. I see late C-3s on Craigslist all the time priced at $5-9K but most I've looked at have had rust issues, tacky mods, poor maintenance etc.

Quick Reply: Conversation about valuations