Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Need input on paint shop screwup!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 03:55 PM
KevinG
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP! Need input on paint shop screwup!

So I found a painter online that I spoke to and went to visit his shop before I decided to trailer my C3 over there for paint/bodywork. I have been working alongside this private painter doing everything from block sanding, replacing exhaust, smoothing in the rear panel amongst other things to save labor costs and to learn a few things. I have spent 90 hours of my own time working alongside the painter on getting the car to the final stage of being sprayed, and paying thousands of dollars in labor costs to my painter as the car progressed. The painter spend 13 hours painting and clearcoating the car while I was not there to eliminate any extra dust, etc.

Car has been painted for 3 weeks now and we've been doing some misc. stuff before we got to the wetsanding, buffing and polishing. The painter pulls the car out into the sunlight yesterday moving cars around the shop & I receive a text message from him. "all work on the vette to stop, possible chemical reaction, will get back to you". So I'm like wtf is going on?

Come to find out, the black pigment in the paint that was issued by the usual paint supplier didn't break down in the red color that I chose. It's got black specs all throughout the paint. This PPG paint supplier that my painter always used was sworn to be high quality. I offered to buy my own paint, but my painter convinced me to go with his usual supplier. I am supposed to go talk to the painter to see what the corrective course of action will be once he gets back to town in a day or so.

Please give me some advice as to what should be done going forward...

Last edited by KevinG; 10-08-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:30 PM
bluthundr
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

Sounds kind of neat, actually. We will have to see some pictures.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:24 PM
RIO68
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need pic's to see but maybe some paint compounds might not mix but I would think very few. Most common thing in my small mind would be something that came from inside a paint gun that had not been cleaned out like it needed to have been. Had it happen to me--never forgot that one!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 06:21 PM
earthquake68
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a body guy, I cringe every time a customer buys his own paint. PPG is a darn fine paint company and in the last 25 or so years of painting cars with PPG, I never had a problem.

Unfortunately, about the only thing you can do is re-shoot the car. Whether it came from the gun or paint can, the specs are blended in to the top coat and no amount of color sanding will get it out.

PERHAPS, the black specs are overspray from another project and the painter didn't realize it at first. Then it's simple to get it right. A light color sand and buff will make look like a million dollars.

Even if you have to re-shoot it, the hard part is done. It's just a scuff and shoot. I don't think you have to strip the car again. Of course, I'm not looking at it. If there are any fish eyes or bulls eyes or fried eggs in the paint, then you would have to strip it again.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:09 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

This is the problem when you get too involved with the decision making on a contracted job. If the painter or paint supplier got your "approval", "OK", or implied consent on the paint products chosen, then you will have to eat the loss. If the paint supplier or the painter made the decisions as to which products to use, and you just selected the color, then whoever chose those products should be on the hook.

Most likely, you will need to retain an attorney to get another party to pay for your losses.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:11 PM
dbeall1968
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by earthquake68
As a body guy, I cringe every time a customer buys his own paint. PPG is a darn fine paint company and in the last 25 or so years of painting cars with PPG, I never had a problem.

Unfortunately, about the only thing you can do is re-shoot the car. Whether it came from the gun or paint can, the specs are blended in to the top coat and no amount of color sanding will get it out.

PERHAPS, the black specs are overspray from another project and the painter didn't realize it at first. Then it's simple to get it right. A light color sand and buff will make look like a million dollars.

Even if you have to re-shoot it, the hard part is done. It's just a scuff and shoot. I don't think you have to strip the car again. Of course, I'm not looking at it. If there are any fish eyes or bulls eyes or fried eggs in the paint, then you would have to strip it again.
I had the same thoughts. If it is deeper than overspray, the car will be fine with a scuff and re-shoot. The cost of the paint is lost, but it could be much worse.
I would like to hear if t was a PPG problem, or something else.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by KevinG
...Please give me some advice as to what should be done going forward...
Follow the advice of your painter. You are paying for his expertise.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:02 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

As long a he is not some craigslist part timer, the PPG area rep can come and check it out and send sample off for lab testing if he feels it's needed.
Highly unlikely it's not the paint system itself, but it has been known to happen. PPG is a good product in all it's lines.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:02 AM
KevinG
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for everyone's input. My painter is going to make it right and the paint supplier is supplying a new batch of paint at no cost. Car will be getting resprayed in a day or so...
Old 10-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks for everyone's input. My painter is going to make it right and the paint supplier is supplying a new batch of paint at no cost. Car will be getting resprayed in a day or so...
Old 10-14-2011, 10:49 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, it makes me wonder why this thread is even posted in the General forum when there's a paint/body forum populated by real experts who could give educated input. Ah, what do I know?

Old 10-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Default Vader Vette

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
So, it makes me wonder why this thread is even posted in the General forum when there's a paint/body forum populated by real experts who could give educated input. Ah, what do I know?

He had an issue not a complaint .He, I think just wondered what we all would do . he didn't ask how to paint a car! Man get a hobby.(just kidding you already have a hobby if You have A Corvette.
And glad to see the Painter and the paint supplier are backing him up how often does that happen?
Old 10-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
Am I the only person concerned about having a car that should have ( and you paid for) just the thickness of one new paint job on it, now ends up with two?
Doesn't too thick a build-up of paint often cause problems after a period of time?
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-14-2011, 07:36 PM
1974ta
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Alan is right.

The paint build up really shows on the grills and other parts by hiding some of the details.

Hopefully there is not too much clear on there or I would think there will be problems down the road.

It also rounds off the sweet lines on these cars.

Since they have to paint the car anyway, they should DA down to the base. As long as they don't penetrate the epoxy primer sealer they should be fine.

Hold their feet to the fire and make sure they do it right.

Don't ask me how I know

Bill
Old 10-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi,
Am I the only person concerned about having a car that should have ( and you paid for) just the thickness of one new paint job on it, now ends up with two?
Doesn't too thick a build-up of paint often cause problems after a period of time?
Regards,
Alan
Two, that's nothing.
Found this when I stripped mine :
Old 10-14-2011, 10:56 PM
flipr78
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
This is the problem when you get too involved with the decision making on a contracted job. If the painter or paint supplier got your "approval", "OK", or implied consent on the paint products chosen, then you will have to eat the loss. If the paint supplier or the painter made the decisions as to which products to use, and you just selected the color, then whoever chose those products should be on the hook.

Most likely, you will need to retain an attorney to get another party to pay for your losses.
This is the furthest thing from reality I have read on here for some time. He went with the paint supplied by the painter and further more the painter is responsible for a paint job free of chemical reactions and blemishes as that is what he is under contract to provide. It is no fault of the customer and he has no responsibility what so ever. It sounds as if your the painters lawyer.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:58 PM
flipr78
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for you, that is exactly what should happen

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Need input on paint shop screwup!

Quick Reply: HELP! Need input on paint shop screwup!