Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1973 Corvette Convertible Resto

Old 08-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Franks73
Sir; thank you for your service, to our country. God Bless you and your beautiful family. As an Army brat, we were stationed in Bad Tolz Germany, hope you have a great experience there. I am doing a rather extensive effort on my 73, and finding your thread has been an inspiration, and learning experience. Best wishes to you, and I dream of the day my 73 is put back together, and I can finally enjoy driving what I think is one of the most beautiful American automobiles ever made. Respectfully, Frank

Old 08-17-2013, 12:29 AM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 762 Likes on 465 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Dang, I just got caught up on this. Enjoy Ramstein, I flew F4s out of Soesterberg, The Netherlands and made it down to Ramstein a lot.

Good luck and Go Noles!
Old 12-22-2013, 06:00 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by F4Gary
Dang, I just got caught up on this. Enjoy Ramstein, I flew F4s out of Soesterberg, The Netherlands and made it down to Ramstein a lot.

Good luck and Go Noles!
Thanks Gary!!!

Here's an update from Germany:

We have finally started to get settled in both in our off-base housing and into our jobs... Tass got a dental assistant job at Baumholder (Army) and she drives about 35 minutes each way to work... Although it was tough in the beginning, she's in the groove now... My drive is about 10-12 minutes door-to-door... Not too bad...

It is now looking like we will be here for "at least" 2 years possibly 3... Certainly worse places in the world to be stationed, but not used to this doom and gloom weather... Have seen the sun once or twice in the months of November/December... It hasn't been that bad, but certainly is not close to the Vegas weather that we are accustomed to... Know most of you are experiencing a lot worse weather than us here in Germany, so I’ll quit whining…

So what I currently planning is a trip back to Vegas in the Feb-Mar-Apr timeframe to go pick the Vette up and get it to Long Beach for shipping to Germany... Prices so far are $1,200 for shipping with 350 Euro due at the port when I pick her up... Not too bad, just have to figure out how to get the Vette from Vegas to LB and from Bremerhaven, Germany down to Ramstein... Also, want to swing by customs to ensure there are no hidden costs there that will be a surprise after the car is enroute...

If anyone has any experience with this, would be excited to hear about your experiences and what you've learned through the process...

Tracking with an early spring to have some more pictures up and getting this build back on the road again, so to speak ;-)

Happy holidays to everyone...

Rogman
Go Noles!!
Old 12-22-2013, 08:47 AM
harris1507
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you and the wife are doing well. I hope you have a Great Christmas. I always loved Germany during the holidays. Good luck on getting the car over to Germany. What are you and the wife driving?

Right now I am at Camp Leatherneck Afghanistan. If you got a DSN phone give me a call anytime 318-357-3039. I will be here till the end of June. Take Care Randy

Don't drink too much Bittburg Beer, LOL!
Old 12-22-2013, 10:41 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Originally Posted by harris1507
Glad to hear you and the wife are doing well. I hope you have a Great Christmas. I always loved Germany during the holidays. Good luck on getting the car over to Germany. What are you and the wife driving?

Right now I am at Camp Leatherneck Afghanistan. If you got a DSN phone give me a call anytime 318-357-3039. I will be here till the end of June. Take Care Randy

Don't drink too much Bittburg Beer, LOL!
Thanks Randy, appreciate it... We have an X5 and X3 here in Germany...

You stay safe in AFG!!! Hope you get a much longer stay at home on this rotation back than previous...

I'm a SanWeld Hefe type of guy ;-)

Rogman
Old 12-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Roger - great to hear all is well! Sounds cheaper to ship to Germany than from FL to NJ on a truck �� . I suspect the land transport costs will make it a bit more expensive but container rate sounds very reasonable to me. Take care and have a merry Xmas and happy new year. ����
Old 12-23-2013, 10:37 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lupigiato
Hey Roger - great to hear all is well! Sounds cheaper to ship to Germany than from FL to NJ on a truck �� . I suspect the land transport costs will make it a bit more expensive but container rate sounds very reasonable to me. Take care and have a merry Xmas and happy new year. ����
Thanks Mike!!

Rogman
Old 03-11-2014, 02:56 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Okay Team, I am finalizing dates and flight arrangements to come home and prep the Vette for shipping... While I am not attempting to get her road worthy, I certainly would like to get her to a point where she can drive onto the hauler/container/etc... I am very nervous about letting the delivery clowns have the keys and going for a Ferris Bueller joy ride... Including travel, I am planning on 11 days (13-23 Apr)...

Here's what I have prepared so far in a checklist:

- Get car moved from storage unit to buddy's home/garage (towed on a tilt bed)
- Check all fluid levels
- Finish connecting PS hoses and bleed system
- Buy and re-install water pump serpentine belt
- Wiring (at least fuse box, engine harness and SPALs)
- Quick alignment (one of the front tires is about 15 or so degrees out right now)
- Windshield install (need to plan this in advance to ensure company has glass in stock)
-- Don't forget to install corners and clips first!!!
-- Do I need to order the 3/8 windshield ribbon sealer
- Re-bleed the brake system (very little petal currently)
- Install convertible top (old top, just get it on for protection during shipping)
- Purchase/install door glass
- Install hood latches
- Optional: may need to hook up fuel gauge as the shipping company usually wants 1/4 tank or less (think they can pop the lid and use a flash light to see how much fuel is in her)

Sure I will add to this list, and curious to hear your comments... Do you think I have enough time planned (list is not in sequence order)??? Anxious to get back to working on her...

Rogman
Old 03-11-2014, 03:52 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Roger, although it's not in Belgium, I'm glad you are settling in. You never know we might meet during on of the bigger Corvette meetings.
If you want I can give you contact details of a Dutch guy who used to live in Texas. He now resides in Spain but he was and still is in the part and car shipping business from the US to Holland. The guys who he used to work for him still fill the containers. You might not use him but he might give you some tips? Don't know if he ever shipped to Germany.
I personally would use a single container and have it loaded up while you are present

I think most glass installers use the newer polyurethane glue like sikaflex.
Be sure they use the foam and spacer blocks to get the windshield to the correct height. Alan has a nice pic of how it should be done.
Success,
Nick
Old 03-11-2014, 04:05 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Originally Posted by dembo
Roger, although it's not in Belgium, I'm glad you are settling in. You never know we might meet during on of the bigger Corvette meetings.
If you want I can give you contact details of a Dutch guy who used to live in Texas. He now resides in Spain but he was and still is in the part and car shipping business from the US to Holland. The guys who he used to work for him still fill the containers. You might not use him but he might give you some tips? Don't know if he ever shipped to Germany.
I personally would use a single container and have it loaded up while you are present

I think most glass installers use the newer polyurethane glue like sikaflex.
Be sure they use the foam and spacer blocks to get the windshield to the correct height. Alan has a nice pic of how it should be done.
Success,
Nick
Thanks Nick... Yepper, please PM me the contact info for the Dutch guy... Would like to get his views... Shipper said it could take several days to get through US customs after it is dropped off, as I asked to see it loaded... I know my X5 sat in Baltimore for two weeks before it went on a ship, but that was at the height of the summer move season...

Rogman
Old 03-12-2014, 08:11 AM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Roger, you can mail him at info@hollandranch.com. Website in Dutch http://www.usa2ned.com/
Nick
Old 03-12-2014, 02:12 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Rogman just remember that simple parts like nuts and bolts are difficult the get hold of in Germany since everything is metric

Also if there is any parts shop for Corvettes around where you live it will cost much more for parts than in the US and they will probably have to order the parts from the US
Old 03-12-2014, 02:30 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Originally Posted by dembo
Roger, you can mail him at info@hollandranch.com. Website in Dutch http://www.usa2ned.com/
Nick
Thanks Nick, I've reached out... I'll let you know what he recommends...

Originally Posted by TheSaint
Rogman just remember that simple parts like nuts and bolts are difficult the get hold of in Germany since everything is metric

Also if there is any parts shop for Corvettes around where you live it will cost much more for parts than in the US and they will probably have to order the parts from the US
Thanks Roger... If the vendors won't ship to our APO boxes, I'll ship to my mom and she'll re-ship for me... Will certainly take a little longer...

Rogman
Old 04-23-2014, 02:24 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Long overdue update:

Well, the first flight out of Germany was delayed several hours on Sunday which meant that my arrival in Vegas would push from 8pm to 11pm... Got in safe and sound, but was VERY tired... Today was the first time I slept into 6am (was waking up at 3am--wide awake), and I've been dragging badly around 7-8pm most nights... Hope tonight will be a little better...

On to the Vette... First order of business was to get it moved from the storage warehouse to my bud's house... Most things haven't been going as originally planned, and the tow driver was no different... Despite all coordination, the driver when called Monday morning didn't know anything about the tow and was at the doctor, UGH!!!! So my appt at 9am turned into an early afternoon pickup... No worries, this gave me time to get all my parts from storage to my bud's place, and by 130pm, the Vette was in the garage--HuuuYAHHH!!!

Before I go on, want to give out some huge shout-outs!!! No way I could be doing this without the help of a couple of buds--Paul who is allowing me to stay at his house and letting me kick his brand new Audi S5 out of the garage... Second, John (screen name "Lil Red Corvette") has helped me coordinate the tow driver and contacts for the glass install... He is also letting me have unfettered access to his garage and tools!!! These two guys have been awesome and I say, "Thanks a ton!!!!"

No onto the checklist:

- Get car moved from storage unit to buddy's home/garage (towed on a tilt bed) DONE!!
- Check all fluid levels
- Finish connecting PS hoses and bleed system
- Buy and re-install water pump serpentine belt
- Wiring (at least fuse box, engine harness and SPALs)
- Quick alignment (one of the front tires is about 15 or so degrees out right now)
- Windshield install (need to plan this in advance to ensure company has glass in stock) Scheduled for Monday!!
-- Don't forget to install corners and clips first!!! DONE!!
-- Do I need to order the 3/8 windshield ribbon sealer No longer needed
- Re-bleed the brake system (very little petal currently)
- Install convertible top (old top, just get it on for protection during shipping) DONE!!
- Purchase/install door glass Scheduled for Monday!!!
- Install hood latches

Not doing bad on the checklist, but need to keep momentum going... Here are some pics:

Installing corner moldings (not the easiest of tasks):

Convertible top install (this is the top that came with the car--will change to a stayfast black top, but's that's for another time)...

Oh yeah, installed new hood insulation you can see in the last pic... Starting to clean the door glass channels and hardware...

What type of grease should I coat the channels and hardware with when re-assembling??? This article describes using chassis grease...

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...all-adjust-21/

What are your recommendations???

More to follow later tonight... Thanks for looking, commenting and following...

Rogman
Old 04-23-2014, 04:21 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Nice! Glad to see you are getting settled in. The car looks great.
I have a few friends that I lean on a lot to help me through this and I know how much that means. Anyone will want to ride on your vette when it is done but your true friend will help you get it done.
Looking forward to seeing more progress.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:10 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Originally Posted by brent319
Nice! Glad to see you are getting settled in. The car looks great.
Thanks Brent!!!

Originally Posted by brent319
I have a few friends that I lean on a lot to help me through this and I know how much that means. Anyone will want to ride on your vette when it is done but your true friend will help you get it done.
Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Rogman
Old 04-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi rogm,
Many people use white lithium grease on the window mechanisms/tracks/rollers, and also on the door latch and handle mechanisms.
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To 1973 Corvette Convertible Resto

Old 04-23-2014, 07:50 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Looking good bud! You are going to have a crowd gathered around that Vette anywhere you take it over there.

Adam
Old 04-23-2014, 10:12 PM
TurboStitchCW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Capt (I'm gonna call you Capt regardless of your rank unless you don't like it...you just seem like "Captain"), good to hear from you again. I was wondering how things were going, so I searched this old thread and low & behold there was an update. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you this leave. Best of luck getting your checklist done. Just wish I could be there to help you out.

Good to hear y'all are settling in in Germany!
Old 04-23-2014, 10:33 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi rogm,
Many people use white lithium grease on the window mechanisms/tracks/rollers, and also on the door latch and handle mechanisms.
Regards,
Alan
Thanks Alan!! I bought some white lithium grease, but thought I'd ask...

Originally Posted by AdamMeh
Looking good bud! You are going to have a crowd gathered around that Vette anywhere you take it over there.

Adam
Thanks Adam... Pretty excited about getting it over there ;-)

Originally Posted by TurboStitchCW
Hey Capt (I'm gonna call you Capt regardless of your rank unless you don't like it...you just seem like "Captain"), good to hear from you again. I was wondering how things were going, so I searched this old thread and low & behold there was an update. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you this leave. Best of luck getting your checklist done. Just wish I could be there to help you out.

Good to hear y'all are settling in in Germany!
Appreciate it TSCW!!!

Rogman

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1973 Corvette Convertible Resto