Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I hold on to my original parts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 03:48 PM
montroe
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I hold on to my original parts?

Good Afternoon,

This is my first post on the Corvette forum. I am an ex Porsche guy who got tired of getting my butt kicked by a local C3 so I recently picked up a 75 coupe, which is an L82 car with a ZZ4 motor, air, PW, PB, tilt, headers and Flowmasters. The sale also included the original L82 motor (needs a rebuild).

My first project was to replace the home made fan shroud with dual 14” electric fans. The fans work great! They both come on at 205 and off at 190. It takes them about two minutes to drop the temperature and turn off. My next project was to replace the front bumper cover with a new urethane cover. It was as challenging as I expected after reading some of your posts but the end result was great. My next project is to replace the original seats with more comfortable racing style seats. I will probably also update the wheels with something in the 17 or 18 inch range.

My question is, do I really need to clutter up my garage by keeping the original motor, seats and wheels? I could never see myself wanting to reinstall the original parts but do they realistically add to the value of the car if I decide to sell it?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Montroe
Old 09-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by montroe
...My question is, do I really need to clutter up my garage by keeping the original motor, seats and wheels? I could never see myself wanting to reinstall the original parts but do they realistically add to the value of the car if I decide to sell it?...
When it comes time to sell, the stock parts would be of value to about half your potential buyers; the other half wouldn't care.

It's up to you whether you want to keep the parts, but, with that said, once they're gone, they're gone.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by montroe
Good Afternoon,
This is my first post on the Corvette forum. I am an ex Porsche guy who got tired of getting my butt kicked by a local C3 so I recently picked up a 75 coupe, which is an L82 car with a ZZ4 motor, air, PW, PB, tilt, headers and Flowmasters. The sale also included the original L82 motor (needs a rebuild).
My question is, do I really need to clutter up my garage by keeping the original motor, seats and wheels?...

Thanks for your thoughts,

Montroe
Congrats & welcome to the forum.
I would keep the engine as a spare since I can build it. I don't care about stock so I would sell/give away the wheels esp. if steel, seats, etc.
Which Porsche?
Old 09-26-2011, 04:56 PM
montroe
Cruising

Thanks for the response guys. I think that I will hold on to the motor and get rid of the rest.

Ganey, my last Porsche was a 1978 930 which had a 3.3L 300 HP turbo. I think it was the first year that Porsche added an intercooler. I cant count the times that that heavy rear end got away from me in the turns.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

montroe
Welcome to the forum. Always nice to hear about another convert from the dark side. You better hurry up and post some pictures of your car. Forum members will just keep pestering until you show what ya got.
Faster Rat
Old 09-26-2011, 06:00 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it was a vert, I'd keep all the parts. Otherwise, sell 'em here or on fleabay and "reinvest" the money into your ride. There are lots of things you can do to them to make the ride/handle better. I'd rebuild the L82 (with a little more omph) and sell the ZZ4. My .02./:\
Old 09-26-2011, 06:18 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Not unless you want to end up like this.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-p...hop-stuff.html
Old 09-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi m,
WELCOME!!!
I'd try to keep everything that you even THINK might be an original part.
A future owner might be VERY glad to have them, and you will be rewarded a hundred times over!!!
Regards,
Alan

O.K. the last part is an exaggeration.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:05 PM
montroe
Cruising

Thanks for the welcomes and ggod advice guys! I will post pictures ASAP.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Bugman Jeff
Instructor

My philosophy on my old parts: I only keep it if it's date coded, numbers matched, or not readily available either used or reproduction. Keeps the garage much less cluttered
Old 09-26-2011, 10:21 PM
dboz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My philosophy, who cares about the next guy. Just worry about the current guy. If the next guy wanted the car he would have bought instead of you. Use the money for some good stuff. I doubt you bought it for collectability anyway. You bought a hot rod. Dump the junk.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:38 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the extra motor has the partial VIN number matching the car you would want to keep that. I never throw anything away so I would keep any parts that you remove for a future buyer. All that junk does nothing but add to the value of the car. My 72 is far from original now but if someone wanted to return to to the day I bought it all of the parts are in my possession.

Rick B.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by dboz
...My philosophy, who cares about the next guy...
Anyone and everyone with a car to sell.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I keep things that I think I will need in the future, like all the smog parts I took off, just in case the whole USA goes California emissions. Or anything I think will be hard or expensive to buy if the day comes when I want to restore it back to original
Old 09-27-2011, 11:39 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
If the extra motor has the partial VIN number matching the car you would want to keep that. I never throw anything away so I would keep any parts that you remove for a future buyer. All that junk does nothing but add to the value of the car. My 72 is far from original now but if someone wanted to return to to the day I bought it all of the parts are in my possession.

Rick B.
IMO a future buyer who wants all original will likely want one which they don't have to take apart and reinstall the original parts. Some may go along with it for a big discount. If you have to sell lower, is it worth it? I can see a future buyer going along with changing a few small parts but if I were the buyer I wouldn't want to hear about having to reinstall the original engine, possibly have to rebuild, unless I'm getting the car cheap enough to make it worth my while.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:28 PM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dump the junk.

In my mind a '75 is an antique for sure but not a collectible. Repo parts are available. I'll go out on a limb and say that most folks interested in buying your 'all original, #'s matching '75' will want it all put back to original before they buy. Are you willing to do that? Heck, you'd probably get more for it in the race trim it's in now.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:12 PM
montroe
Cruising

Guys, thanks for the valuable advice and different perspectives.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:33 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by dboz
My philosophy, who cares about the next guy. Just worry about the current guy. If the next guy wanted the car he would have bought instead of you. Use the money for some good stuff. I doubt you bought it for collectability anyway. You bought a hot rod. Dump the junk.
Good advice.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I hold on to my original parts?

Quick Reply: Should I hold on to my original parts?