1980 C3 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:17 AM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Redo the guts first!

I have a c2 project ongoing but am planning for a c3 next. I think you have one of the nicer year group cars, post the early c3 collector types ie 68-70 or so.

Your year group is what Im thinking of for my project and I see a lot of similarites to my c2 project for different reasons. Many c1/c2 cars cannot be restored due to neglect or actions by previous owners.

Your year group could be looked at the same way because some of the original equipment was not the best example of GM engineering. Restoring a low compression/low HP motor is ok for some. I personally would start by tearing out most of the guts of your car starting with the engine, transmission, differential and updating the suspension. I might then move on the the interior.

It is easy to keep the Corvette flavor of the car by using later/earlier generation Corvette parts in the resoration. C4 suspension and differential replacement is very common. C5/C6 seats possibly. Earlier C3 speedo, tach and guages, etc.

When you get to the exterior, I have seen a c3 stinger hood that did a fair job of capturing the early gen c2 flavor or you could go with a c3 big block hood.

Im 53 and I use my 23 yr old son as a sounding board. His tastes and mine are drastically different, much like the opinons on this thread, lol. I like to find areas where we both like something and I add that into my build. By doing this, I have a broader market if I ever have to sell my car.

I will also admit that there are many areas where we find no common ground, lol. If my Corvette has the proper engine I dont need the big stereo my son will have. Why spend $3k on stereo when I can pour an extra $3k into my motor, lol. He would probably remove $ from the motor to put it into bigger speakers, lol.

Ive also had a generational disagreement with my mechanic, lol. He is the same age as my son and cannot understand why Im not going with an LS based motor. From a performance standpoint he may be right. From an appearance standpoint I am right. My 565hp SBC 427 with Inglese 8 stack EFI looks like motors you might have found in race cars from the 60s. I could buy his pick - an LS7 based motor with 650hp for the same price. Either choice will get respect when the hood is opened. That last statement is a good approach to all mods, (opinion).

In any case welcome aboard from an Old Fogie!!
Old 10-05-2011, 02:21 PM
riarms
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Well I appreciate the pick of the bubble lights. I was curious about them, but I don't think its something I want to do.

I like the chrome accents around the windows. I think I consider this.

BTW, what are those white lines in the grill of this picture? I was thinking of putting some DRL LED strips next to the yellow light, but I have been trying to see if someone did it already. If you did, I would love to see a straight on shot of your car.

Otherwise, I love the paint job. The car looks great.

I know most people are worried about ricing my car, but I am really not into that. I just want some ideas of mods to improve the look on the outside and make it personal. As well as ideas for the inside, such as the push starter that I mentioned earlier. Little things. I have no intentions on making fake exhaust noises, 20" subs, 20" wheels, a huge spoiler, ground effects and purple headlights.
the window and rocker trim are all original, i just removed the paint and polished them, the lines on the grills are just chrome body moldings you can buy at Auto zone they are made to go around doors. I did put a ten inch sub in mine because the hooker pipes are so load you couldnt here the stock crap they put in the car. I also put new seats and door panels that I got from Wilcox he sent them to me two toned black and blue which looks nice. Ill get you some pics when the motor is back in the car
Old 10-05-2011, 05:21 PM
startwith80vette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mods: bumper, hood, paint, sidepipes, corbeau a4 seats.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:21 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by startwith80vette
You seem to be surrounded by Mustangs. Did you pass the Chevy lot?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:33 PM
startwith80vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
You seem to be surrounded by Mustangs. Did you pass the Chevy lot?
just had to show them what a real car looks like
Old 10-05-2011, 08:49 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

just had to show them what a real car looks like
I can't concur as I will soon own both myself. Oh, the house divided; brought on by myself.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

AAAHHH yes, the endless front bumper!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Clubby99
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to this link for ideas

http://www.riceboypage.com/index.html
Old 10-06-2011, 03:51 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Clubby99
Go to this link for ideas

http://www.riceboypage.com/index.html
This is funny. But I have definitely seen a lot worse than what is on this site.

Indiana is filled with ricer cars. You see a lot of them at Universities. I wonder why, lol.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Lots of options out there, Its your car so do what you want.

Last edited by Bangkok Dean; 10-07-2011 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:00 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Bangkok Dean
[SIZE="4"]
That is one crazy engine bay!!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:16 AM
startwith80vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tim H
AAAHHH yes, the endless front bumper!
that's my cow catcher
Old 10-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Kavinsky
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow1980
Here are some of the mods to my 1980:

Clifford alarm system - remote to unlock/lock doors and set alarm.

Metra power antenna.

See my site for more info.

Hmm I have to admit I really like the idea of a modern remote access control and what's the story with the Metra power antenna?

does it have to extend out to work like the normal antenna or can it be left in its resting positon and still just work as well as the normal one in its extended position?

Lots of options out there, Its your car so do what you want.

what's the color of the tanish leather and the tanish carpet on this one and who made the carpet itself?

its very smooth and slick looking carpet and I really like it.

Last edited by Kavinsky; 10-07-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:31 PM
woodsman,ab
Advanced

Originally Posted by riarms
I like my bubble tail lights and the bonded bumperson my 81, I hate how the the bumpers dont line up right on a lot of the 80-82"s.i also removed all the black paint from all the window and rocker tirm. As far as the ricer comments its your car and you should do to it what ever you like

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
how did you remove paint from window trim and what color is that? Looks awesome!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Yellow1980
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Kavinsky
Hmm I have to admit I really like the idea of a modern remote access control and what's the story with the Metra power antenna?

does it have to extend out to work like the normal antenna or can it be left in its resting positon and still just work as well as the normal one in its extended position?
The Metra power antenna goes up when the radio (Kenwood KIV-BT900 Digital Media Receiver) is turned to tuner mode, and goes down in any other mode. It also does not require the a power antenna relay (another possible point of failure with the unreliable factory reproduction). Here's a link to the install article http://www.calweb.com/~griffitt/MetraPowerAntenna.html.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:23 PM
riarms
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by woodsman,ab
how did you remove paint from window trim and what color is that? Looks awesome!
I pulled the molding off the car be carefull doing it you should buy the tool made for pulling them off or you could bend them. I just bought paint striiper from home Depot and some steel wool. The color is an 06 chevy colbolt color dupomt 815K
Old 10-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Smadoo
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

My 80 is mostly stock, but I have tweaked it a bit.

I added chrome molding strip (yes, the kind sold in rolls at autozone) to the slats in the grill

I also covered the center console/parking brake assembly in leather.
I sourced the leather from a $5 leather coat from my local Goodwill.(sorry, I don't have any pics)

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 C3 Mods

Old 10-10-2011, 01:05 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim H
Things that are accepted by the old foggy crowd are, dual coffee cup holder on the emergency brake handle, plaster the interior with fake wood stencils, fuzzy steering wheel cover, plastic bag tapped to the dash for old Geritol bottles, hat hook on rear glass for beany driving hat and large sun glasses, and last but not least an envelope stapled to the bottom of the dash for senior citizen coupons to the Old Country Buffet!
I rest my case!
Old 10-11-2011, 03:03 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kavinsky

what's the color of the tanish leather and the tanish carpet on this one and who made the carpet itself?

its very smooth and slick looking carpet and I really like it.
The interior was dome locally. The seats and door panels are leather and the carpet was selected from a Benz carpet roll. Sorry I don't know the manufacturer of the carpet. But the leather was supplied from a cow that had some bad luck.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Kavinsky
Advanced

Originally Posted by Yellow1980
The Metra power antenna goes up when the radio (Kenwood KIV-BT900 Digital Media Receiver) is turned to tuner mode, and goes down in any other mode. It also does not require the a power antenna relay (another possible point of failure with the unreliable factory reproduction). Here's a link to the install article http://www.calweb.com/~griffitt/MetraPowerAntenna.html.
hmm sounds quite handy.

The interior was dome locally. The seats and door panels are leather and the carpet was selected from a Benz carpet roll. Sorry I don't know the manufacturer of the carpet. But the leather was supplied from a cow that had some bad luck.
so from a mercedes then? it is downright beautiful

Quick Reply: 1980 C3 Mods