Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 454 - What's it really worth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:32 PM
swtatno
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1970 454 - What's it really worth?

The father of a friend of mine has a super nice 1970 model LS5 454 with matching numbers. It runs very well, and he has recently reupholstered the seats. He has also replaced the carpet, added a new jack and finally, rebuilt the engine. Two possible negatives are that he had the car repainted a different color than the original. It was white, and he had it professionally painted a very light baby blue. The hood is also an L88 version. The AC has been removed from the car, but he has the parts. All the bumper parts have been rechromed, both front and back. The engine is extremely clean and runs smoothly. There are no dings or dents, no scratches and all the lines where panels meet look straight. Everything works.

Does anyone know... what is this car really worth? I have the opportunity to buy it, but I don't know where to start in my negotiation with him.

Thanks, everyone.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:41 PM
eastltd
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard it said that changing the cars paint colour depreciates the value. If this is the case, changing it to baby blue must kill the value.

I would deduct $5k from his asking price for the re-paint.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:50 PM
swtato
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Nice originality on the username!

But since we are buds I will let it slide

I know you don't know how to post pics so I will post the ones you sent me.

The color is not what you think it is eastltd. It is not as bad as I thought it might be in the pics. I told him I feel that is the only downfall and a bit of a negotiating point. I will not say what I thought it would be worth so that aothers give their opinion.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:58 PM
swtato
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Old 09-18-2011, 08:03 PM
eastltd
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by swtato
Nice originality on the username!

But since we are buds I will let it slide

I know you don't know how to post pics so I will post the ones you sent me.

The color is not what you think it is eastltd. It is not as bad as I thought it might be in the pics. I told him I feel that is the only downfall and a bit of a negotiating point. I will not say what I thought it would be worth so that aothers give their opinion.
You're right! Not as bad as I thought it would be I had visions of the old Pinto color

I still think it is a good negotiating point.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:41 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Car looks nice, but I have no idea what color it is in real life. That first pic looks white, then the others... maybe a light robins egg blue.... Carlisle Blue??
Old 09-18-2011, 08:57 PM
swtatno
4th Gear

The color is a very light blue. The last picture in the post is what it looks like in person. Any idea what a fair price is for this car?
Old 09-18-2011, 08:58 PM
swtato
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

He is ok with the color, he just wants opinions on starting price to negotiate. He does not want to insult the owner. Give some opinions on what you think a fair price is
Old 09-18-2011, 09:20 PM
UberLegend
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These type of things I tell the seller to put a price on it, "it's yours, you know what you think it is worth, if it's within reason we can do business, if it isn't I walk".

You're dealing with friends, this complicates things.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by swtatno
...Does anyone know... what is this car really worth?...
No.

What's he asking?

Old 09-19-2011, 11:01 AM
swtato
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
No.

What's he asking?

He tossed out $25-30k is what he would "like". I told my buddy he was a little high I thought at that price range.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm that sounds kinda high...how is the frame and birdcage? Has he replaced the brake system, suspension components.....or did he just make the car look good?
Old 09-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Manuel Azevedo
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well now the owners says somewhere around 25 to 30K. Ok that is a fair range by the pictures, so now how much is the car worth to you?!! That is the only thing that matters.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:53 AM
swtato
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Dose11
Hmm that sounds kinda high...how is the frame and birdcage? Has he replaced the brake system, suspension components.....or did he just make the car look good?
Car has been maintained and driven.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by swtato
...He tossed out $25-30k...
Did you toss it back? I see a nice car, but not $30K nice.

Good luck.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:43 PM
dboz
Burning Brakes

Looks like a good 20-25k car to me. Of course pictures only show so much.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:09 PM
swtato
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Did you toss it back? I see a nice car, but not $30K nice.

Good luck.

It is for my friend who started the post. I do not think he threw a price back at him. This was a soft introduction. His sons told my friend their dad was getting older and thinking of sellinghis car. I feel 22-24 is a good price on the car. Really the only fault I see is the color is not original but that would not be a deal breaker.

Get notified of new replies

To 1970 454 - What's it really worth?

Old 09-19-2011, 01:16 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

a great paint job for a new color is better that an old paint job the correct color and needing painted. so you can put your value on the car appropriately. if the paint is great but wrong color, then yes discount a little, but not the price of a full paint job. you will have buyers telling you the same thing when you go to sell it eventually. maybe 2 grand.

the AC makes it a pretty valuable car. looks like the setup is there except for the compressor. if it is all there besides the compressor and the owner has the parts, then just discount whatever would be a price to get it working, maybe a grand.

now you have to look deeper and confirm the numbers and dates on the engine. but looks like the wrong manifold and carb. at worst check the stamps and dates on the cylinder case block. power brakes and tilt/tele is nice. it needs ignition shielding.

The L88 hood I know i will take a hit at selling, but maybe just 1 grand.

now check for condition under the car. old suspension, exhaust, leaks, belts, hoses, discount from that.

check for rust in the frame and birdcage and windshield frame. if there are rust holes, then start your negotiation at 10K and work down from there.

if no rust, original engine, Working AC, great condition car, correct great paint, it is a 30K + car.

it's a rare 70. but discount for the paint and AC and hood about 5 grand. if no rust then its a 25K car. if not in great condition , then discount from 25K.

you will not find a numbers matching big block 70 with great paint and AC ( working or not, most don't even work anyway) for 20K..

if I was looking, 25K would make me go see it, maybe not 30K.

you may not care that there is alot incorrect on the car, but you have to factor this in because you will eventually have to sell it and will have buyers giving you the same story. don't take the hit, make the current owner take the hit.

i would rather have an L88 hood and wrong color than have any rust.. but these cars rust and make sure you look for that and run away if you see much.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Frank.luvstingrays
Racer

Originally Posted by swtatno
The father of a friend of mine has a super nice 1970 model LS5 454 with matching numbers. It runs very well, and he has recently reupholstered the seats. He has also replaced the carpet, added a new jack and finally, rebuilt the engine. Two possible negatives are that he had the car repainted a different color than the original. It was white, and he had it professionally painted a very light baby blue. The hood is also an L88 version. The AC has been removed from the car, but he has the parts. All the bumper parts have been rechromed, both front and back. The engine is extremely clean and runs smoothly. There are no dings or dents, no scratches and all the lines where panels meet look straight. Everything works.

Does anyone know... what is this car really worth? I have the opportunity to buy it, but I don't know where to start in my negotiation with him.

Thanks, everyone.
Hi swtatno,
just ten years ago the car was selling for over an easy 25K...if it was done off frame well then i can tell you the 70 thru 72 cars where really hot cars and went over 50k...
now it's a great time to buy!! if you can
everybody loves baby blue
Peace
Frank
Old 09-19-2011, 10:02 PM
swtatno
4th Gear

Frank, joewill and dboz,

Thanks very much for the data and guidance. It seems that $20K is where I need to be, possibly even a bit higher, to make this a good purchase. I really appreciate the help.

I will take a much closer look for any rust.

Joewill - You are right about the manifold and carb.

Pete

Quick Reply: 1970 454 - What's it really worth?