Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner.....she has arrived

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 06:19 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New owner.....she has arrived (pics uploaded)

Well...I made the trip. I looked the car over again, I'm sad to say I did miss some things the first time around ...you definitely learn a lot by searching for a potential buy. And nothing else compares to the help I've received here on the forums. Thank you to everyone for answering my questions and helping out.

The total drive was 200 miles, I made it averaging around 60 mph and burnt less than 3/4 tank.

At first I was very careful and afraid...even had trouble shifting gears. Half way through I was flying, I hit 80 at one point. Pressure was steady just around the line before 70, Temp was steady just below the second line, Amp steady in the center - brand new battery (maybe a tad to the right). No overheating.

The ride was rough as the roads were not the best of roads but I also think the car has its original suspension (which I knew coming into this).

I already have a list of about 5 things that I need to look into so don't be surprised if I'm asking for advice and tips from time to time. The most noticeable was:

-the steering pulling to the right and having more play when turning the wheel to the right

-the clunking (banging) sound when letting off the gas followed by pushing in more aggressively. The same was noticed when changing gears and accelerating...the car jumps a little (probably due to me being out of practice with manual) and "BANG" ... sure sounds like the bushing between the diff and frame

-squeaking when turning at slower speeds...I'm guessing Ujoints need greasing up and louder than expected whining sound coming from the rear...replace diff fluid?

-and then there is the suspension....every c3 I've been in has a rough, hard ride with some rattling inside but I will definitely be taking care of it

Here are some low quality phone pics and a video ... I will make sure I get more and better quality

Pics

PS.
I would definitely like to meet someone who is a c3 expert around the central/north NJ area and have them look the car over, point out the good and the bad, the things I missed and possible solutions and future problems. This person would need a lift as I do not have one. Of course I would be willing to pay a small fee for the favor. Please PM me.

Last edited by rafalc; 09-18-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi R,
WELL!!!
A NEW old Corvette owner!!!
Now the fun really begins.
In the picture the oil pressure and temperature looks to be right where my 71 sb runs. The ammeter appears to be a hair low, but it might just be the angle of the picture.
Will you sleep in the car tonight?
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-17-2011, 06:57 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi R,
WELL!!!
A NEW old Corvette owner!!!
Now the fun really begins.
In the picture the oil pressure and temperature looks to be right where my 71 sb runs. The ammeter appears to be a hair low, but it might just be the angle of the picture.
Will you sleep in the car tonight?
Regards,
Alan
I think I would if there was more room inside
Old 09-17-2011, 07:04 PM
McVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey congrats man ....from inside view car really looks goooooood...enjoy and with me and u asking questions here we should keep this place popping....lol
Old 09-17-2011, 07:23 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on getting it and the safe drive home. I have a 76 sb with four speed and I spent 8 months getting it ready for one day on a road track for safety and for the future for casual use and ended up redoing the brakes, having the front end play checked so that I knew there was none, putting four new KYB shocks on it, replacing the two rear body mount bushings...#4,#8, replacing a broken short side yoke due to p.o. hammering it beyond normal..replaced both. Engine ran well and it does better with tune up, advanced timing settings, etc. The gear box was in good shape as was the engine when turned properly and a rebuilt quadrajet was put on it. Runs really well now within its limitations on compression. Junked the 76 complete exhaust system and converted to true duals, etc. The car is a terrific car on the road cornering and driving and makes me smile every single time I drive it. I remember the night I drove it home from Spotsylvania up near Fredericksburg. The woman I was dating came up after work with me and I paid and got the title, etc. then hopped in the car on a 50 degree night, headed for a gas station and filled it up, answered questions from other people gassing up then turned south on I95 which is hugely busy, hugely fast and wound up next to 18 wheelers looking at the center of the tire hubcap at eye level. It was all at night, all new, all slightly weird at first and unfamiliar. 50 miles later I'd run it up to just under 100 and found out you don't stay anywhere next to the semi's and was beginning to learn the car. Now, that car is as familiar to me a year later as my sailboat used to be...it just is part of me when I'm in it...

You'll figure the mechanical things out but I didn't assume the p.o. had done anything right and the first thing I had done was to flush and change every fluid and filter so I knew it was right including differential, four speed borg warner transmission, radiator, oil, plugs, new wires, etc. I wanted to know the provenance. The p.o. had a diesel mechanic maintaining it and I found the plugs gapped to .030" from the guys gas engine memory before they had high voltage ignitions...I could go on but it is so satisfying to drive it now that it can breath, is timed for power, etc.

With the 255 x 60's on it the car corners like an octupus with 16 arms.

Can you tell this is really something special to me? Sounds like you will be very much like me with yours and I just can't do anything but wish you the best. You can see mine on my albums if you want.

Lance P.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Congratulations

When I picked up my 68 vert in May, it was only an 80 mile drive and was disappointed it wasn't further

Have fun investing a lot of love and cash into your new toy
Old 09-17-2011, 07:47 PM
UberLegend
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the '70's club.

This is the first of your threads I've viewed, had to search through the threads in your profile to find out what you were doing. Maybe fill out your profile, post up the before purchase pics?

Good looking car

June 4, 1970
Old 09-17-2011, 07:48 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats! when I picked mine up it was a one way 260 mile trip home, the AC was out and it was 107 degrees so the tops were off. I had the goofiest sunburn on ONE side of my face the next day! But the grin continues! Congrats!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:07 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Can you guys recommend some parts/brands?

Oil filter
Oil grade? 10w30?
Prestone 50/50?
Tranny fluid?
Diff fluid?
Plugs/wired
PS fluid
Brake fluid

Anything else I should do right away?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Vette Fetish
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome! How about posting more pictures! WE love to drool all over our keyboards when we lean in real close to get a closeup look at a forum members Vette!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:25 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 811 Likes on 456 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Congrats
Just did the same thing 2 weeks ago with a 68 427 4spd.
Drove her home 136 trouble free miles. Loved it
Congrats again.
Dump the fluids
Check the brake pads
Safety checks etc....
Drive Er!!!
Marshal
Old 09-17-2011, 08:40 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 09-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

The clunking at the rear may be the differential bushing toward the front of the pumpkin head. Pretty easy to change out, but a little tricky.
It solved my clunk between gears and letting off the gas.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-17-2011, 09:53 PM
medic1555
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know you've been looking for some time now. Congrats on the new hobby!
Old 09-17-2011, 10:23 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tim H
The clunking at the rear may be the differential bushing toward the front of the pumpkin head. Pretty easy to change out, but a little tricky.
It solved my clunk between gears and letting off the gas.
[IMG][/IMG]
Thanks Tim, exactly what I was looking for....a picture of what to look for & where. Very helpful, thank you
Old 09-17-2011, 11:00 PM
PhilaScott
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats !

Told you that the trip would be easy!...

The pic of the gauges looks about right.
The play in the wheel is alignment and a steering box rebuild.
(if you find greasy oil on the driver side near the tire... that will confirm steering box).
Regarding suspension, mine did get the fiberglass one piece leaf so maybe that's in your future too.
Glad you made it back in one piece.
Let's see more pis of the whole car !

Again.. congrats.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:10 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

pics uploaded

Get notified of new replies

To New owner.....she has arrived

Old 09-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks like a keeper! Good luck with your repairs!
Old 09-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking good there sir
Old 09-18-2011, 03:55 PM
garage-ghost
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, how many times did you go to the garage to look at it?
Come on, we all know you did.
Looks great, enjoy.

Quick Reply: New owner.....she has arrived