Sponsored by:

Corvettes at Carlisle

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 06:19 PM
kjb13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvettes at Carlisle

Just got back from Carlisle a short time ago. Never saw that many Corvettes in one place before. Judging by the prices of cars for sale, I think I got a really good price on my '81 a few months ago. Gotta love Craigslist,(also gotta be careful). While the stands selling used "stuff" are always a hit or miss deal trying to find what you want, I felt the vendors selling new merchandise were catering to the newer generations. Finding anything for a C3 was a tough job. That being said, "Al Knoch Interiors" had a huge display of interior parts for ALL generations. I bought a T cushion for my console at a reasonable cost, certainly better than the price at MidAmerica, for the exact same thing. Turns out I bought the wrong color. I bought a Doeskin, and it is a little bit lighter than my interior. I called their home office in Texas, and after explaining to Patty what I did, was told that I could ship it to them and they would send me a Camel colored cushion. All in all, a great deal for the dummy who bought the wrong color. I WILL continue to do business with them and recommend them to others. Hopefully the hurricane will miss Carlisle and everyone will return home with more goodies and less money.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi kjb,
Corvettes at Carlisle has certainly changed over the years as the 'Corvette Market' has changed.
In the 'beginning' (1981?) the event was so small that EVERYONE could park on the fair grounds.
It was pretty special back then too!
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-26-2011, 08:49 PM
nutsy
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

how is the turnout? i ask because usually when doing my run from st. clair to scranton i see around 30 vettes going south. today i saw 3. figured the weather gotta be killing the attendance. i was planning on going tomorrow but with the weather i wont make it this year.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:18 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too many c4s and 5s in my opinion.

Went today with the hopes of buying a c3...must say was a little disappointed. Not much out there...and overpriced
Old 08-26-2011, 10:14 PM
kjb13
Instructor

The turn out was growing throughout the day. I got there about 9:00 am and left about 1:00 pm. I have to believe it will be seriously hurt by the weather. I have a buddy who sets up to sell a few later model Vettes each year. A few years ago they had a surprise wind storm that ripped tents apart. One of the bigger tent poles actually came down through his small canopy and through the hood of one of his cars. He sold it as is, to a buyer at the show, rather than deal with insurance hassles and the time involved to get it fixed.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
Just my feelings!
Too many tire shine and carbon fiber gas lid sellers.
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-27-2011, 09:54 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Alan-you can never have too much carbon fiber and your tires can never be too shinny
Old 08-27-2011, 12:08 PM
daveshea
Instructor

Having never been to Carlisle, I have to add my two cents regarding how disappointed I was with the cars for sale.

I went there with the intention of buying a C3 "project" to work on, and was presented with many $50,000 show cars or seriously overpriced junk.

There was actually a guy selling a rusted out, no engine, no interior 70-72 or so corvertible! He was asking $8900 if I remember correctly...

Not sure if he thought he was being funny or what...

Talking to some of the people at lunch that had been there before, I may have been there the wrong day. Some seem to suggest Saturday would have a better selection.

All I know is from 9AM to 3PM, I struck out...guess its back to craigslist and ebay.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:40 PM
kjb13
Instructor

First day sellers are always looking for buyers with more money than brains. Second day, more realistic. Last day, make me an offer, I don't want to take it back home. It's starting to rain here in central PA. My guess is the prices are dropping quick.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:48 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kjb13
First day sellers are always looking for buyers with more money than brains. Second day, more realistic. Last day, make me an offer, I don't want to take it back home. It's starting to rain here in central PA. My guess is the prices are dropping quick.
It wasn't only the prices that were a let down, it was also the selection. I would have stayed until today but didn't see anything worth staying for. Very few 4 speed 68-72 under 25k
Old 08-27-2011, 03:37 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

I just got back a few hours ago,i left a day early cause of the storm closing in here in NJ.This was my 20th straight year going and the show gets worse every year.I know the storm had a big effect this year on attendance as the fairgrounds were dead yesterday and today,the for sale corral was empty as were alot of vendor spots.There were some real nice solid axles and midyears under the pavillion,but overall alot of garbage.One row behind my vendor spot was a 68 sb vert,blue/blue tht needed paint and interior,BUT was a original straight 68 that ran great with smog pump intact for 18k.I made a offer yesterday late but the guy never came today...oh well.Overall Carlisle is becoming very disappointing.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:56 PM
medic1555
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by daveshea
Having never been to Carlisle, I have to add my two cents regarding how disappointed I was with the cars for sale.

I went there with the intention of buying a C3 "project" to work on, and was presented with many $50,000 show cars or seriously overpriced junk.

There was actually a guy selling a rusted out, no engine, no interior 70-72 or so corvertible! He was asking $8900 if I remember correctly...

Not sure if he thought he was being funny or what...

Talking to some of the people at lunch that had been there before, I may have been there the wrong day. Some seem to suggest Saturday would have a better selection.

All I know is from 9AM to 3PM, I struck out...guess its back to craigslist and ebay.
Same exact experience for me. Looking for my first Vette and left with just a pair of sore feet and a pocket full of money.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:28 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I just got back about two hours ago, tried to skip out before the rain and winds really pick up here in Eastern PA. I met Rafalc at the show and I looked around and had to agree there were really very few deals to be had this year, and the cars for sale area was far from crowded with good cars. I know it is hit or miss at Carlisle to find what you want but this year was a particularly tough one. Saw some of my regular suppliers this time and had a chance to meet some Forum members and that is always a nice part of the show, attendance at the 12:30 Forum get together was also sparse. Tough year. I intend to take another run at it in 2012 because, well, what the heck, its Carlisle and you just never know what you might find there.

Now for me I consider Carlisle a completed success. Why? I located a 68-72 trailer hitch that I have been looking for to put on my 1971 Barn Find "Sparty" and the price at $20 was perfect. It is the little things that make me happy I guess.

Good luck with those searches guys and be careful with Craigs List, not much luck there for me in the past.

Best regards,

David
AllC34Me
Old 08-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Rickman
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

My .02 on Carlisle from yesterday, Friday. (my 19th consecutive year)

1. Between the expected hurricane and the faltering US economy, Carlisle numbers on Friday were moderate at best. I feel for the vendors who travelled great distances to participate in this usually very festive 3-4 day event.

2. Even Kerbeck trimmed its attractive, poster-rolling lady staff from 4-5 down to 2!

3. The emphasis on C5 and C6 at Carlisle is largely due to the average age of Corvette owners now being 50+ yrs. of age and the tremendous advancements in technology found in C5 and C6. (I see the same trends in my local Club, the Bel Air Corvette Club, Bel Air, MD., with more than 200 active members.)

Most have had older Vettes, but now wish to turn the key (ok, push the button in C6) and drive in the roomy comfort of the C5 and C6 cabins. This is reflected with the vendors also, with a much higher emphasis now placed on C5 & C6 parts and accessories.

4. It is also evident (FlameSuit on!!) that the glory days of restoring C3's are over. I say this with sadness, but it's true: with all the high unemployment in the US, depleted 401k's, and volatile stock market, the majority of would-be restorer's just either cannot afford projects or they cannot afford to be upside-down on a long-term restoration project. I don't see this changing for another 4-5 years.

5. I would like to see Chevrolet do more to attract younger buyers with the new C7 next year. This could be done with a baby Vette ie Solstice-like platform or strippo 2LT MN6 w no HUD, NAV, power seats, etc. List price needs to be south of $40k. Yeah, yeah, I know, this would be Camaro territory, blah, blah. But remember, Porsche did it with Boxster, and now even has a successful SUV.

What say you?

Rickman

Last edited by Rickman; 08-27-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-27-2011, 06:03 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Rickman,well said....
Old 08-27-2011, 06:10 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Hurricane worries took hold. Many vendors were packing up and leaving by 1pm today. I don't expect many people will be there tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:30 PM
blk406
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by medic1555
Same exact experience for me. Looking for my first Vette and left with just a pair of sore feet and a pocket full of money.
Same for me. Wasn't much there. Walked around for hours with 25K in my pocket for nothing. 2nd year in a row I was disappointed.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvettes at Carlisle

Old 08-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Rickman
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jr9170
Rickman,well said....
Thanks, Jerry!

Let's shoot for meeting up next year at Carlisle. I'm not getting any younger!!

Rickman
Old 08-27-2011, 08:10 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I was there all day yesterday ( Fri ) and saw the same trend that I saw last week at Woodward . A high % of C5 & C6 cars. I guess we have to expect this .
Bill
Old 08-27-2011, 08:40 PM
C3POL82
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

I cancelled my trip from CT. on Wed. because of the "now-arriving" storm. Having been there the last two years, I found a festive atmosphere and lots of "stuff" to buy, but Corvette prices at the show seemed unrealistic (especially C-1's, C-2's and C-3's). Lots of parts, especially if you can survive with used stuff. I enjoyed my trips there but would never buy a car at the show.
A tip for anyone looking for a decent C-3. Keep checking the Bargain News in the CT/NY area. They have an online site and you can usually find any number of serviceable Corvettes at sane prices.
I think the excessive cost of parts and restoration services make it unfeasable to undertake a resoration project these days. It's usually cheaper just to buy a decent unrestored car to drive, and a C-4 or C-5 are cheaper yet.

Quick Reply: Corvettes at Carlisle