Sponsored by:

5 best reasons to own a C3 over a C5 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 PM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boltnut
another comment like that and the C5 idea goes out the window......
Going back to your kids comment.. I am currently 21 yrs old.. My dad still has his '73 vette that he bought in '73 (second owner). I can still remember times when I was 4 years old crawling up under the car while he was working on it. I can clearly remember the cruises we use to go on and when I would tell him to "go fast". I remember all the times where I would chose to ride in the vette over any other car that we had. I can remember the times that I would hope that my dad would pick me up in his vette from preschool and school.. Heck, I still remember to this day the last time my dad picked me up from high school soccer practice in his vette. I remember my coach saying how awesome the car sounded. I remember all my buddies complimenting the car. I knew when I turned 16, I was going to buy myself a '73 vette and I did.

Just think about the memories you could make with your children.. You might think that it might not have that much of an effect on them, but I can tell you that it has on me and it will on them!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:53 PM
Kavinsky
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. say helo to over intusive technology that takes away alot of the feel of the car and makes it feel like another boring modern daily driver.

although it could be worse, ferrari doesnt even sell a proper manual gearbox anymore

2. older is better, they'll never make them like that again in this world

3. DIY repair and you feel like you've acomplished something by fixing it yourself

4. look around at modern cars, you just feel better off especally when faced with a nisan cube, a scion XB or a honda element

5. Chrome bumpers, real chrome too.

Last edited by Kavinsky; 08-31-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:11 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I've owned two different C4's. and always thought I wanted a C5 or C6. But after i got my C3, I am in total love with it, and don't even notice C5's and C6's on the road anymore.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:14 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

I read a lot of the posts, but not all. The advantage of the C3 is that it doesn't have any computers. No what is it, no OBII codes?? Also, the carbs on a C3 can be rebuilt on your kitchen table. The C3 will not have the creature comforts of a C5. Also, here in California, an early C3 can escape the smog rules, so you can put in any engine you want. An early C3 will not have air bags, which is a good feature.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:08 PM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boldnut....

Are you retiring or are you just retiring your wrench...????

I am 67 (will be 68 in a few weeks) and currently have 64 72 76 79 88 (35th anniv coupe) and 98 Corvettes in the garage..3 are coupes and 3 are convertibles...

3 of my cars are C3's..mostly because I could afford a C3 when I got caught up in this hobby and my children were out of college...

The C2 and all 3 C3's are just plain simple mechanical cars and easy to work on..which to be honest I enjoy doing..

The C4 and C5 are on the other hand cars I personally have no problem working on IF the problem is not electrical on the computer is involved...

I purchased the 98 as a retirement present and traded in a 95 because I deserved a new car...LOL

Anyway I prefer the older ones BY FAR over the newer Corvettes EXCEPT on trips..
I just have a huge smile n my face after driving my 64 72 76 and even my 79 BUT I honestly have to get out of them after 2 hours behind the wheel or I will not be able to walk...

My wife on the other hand will only ride in one of the older cars IF the trip is less then an hour and she casn't get in or out of the C4 but enjoys riding in the 98 no matter how long the trip is IF the top is UP....so her hair does not get messed up..

Keep the C3 and buy a C5 to get the best of both world's as others have said...i

BTW..my favorite overall car to drive is my 76 4 sp low optioned car while it does not win in any single category overall it gets my vote as the last car I would sell if I had to divest of my cars...

I have no intention of buying a newer Corvette Period...

Bob G
Old 09-01-2011, 03:13 PM
bigblockmuscle08
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1977
because babes cant do this in a c5

hahaha well said
Old 09-01-2011, 03:30 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblockmuscle08
hahaha well said
Old 09-01-2011, 03:31 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

for me , the c3 is just so much more fun to drive than a c5
Old 09-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FRSTR90
Going back to your kids comment.. I am currently 21 yrs old.. My dad still has his '73 vette that he bought in '73 (second owner). I can still remember times when I was 4 years old crawling up under the car while he was working on it. I can clearly remember the cruises we use to go on and when I would tell him to "go fast". I remember all the times where I would chose to ride in the vette over any other car that we had. I can remember the times that I would hope that my dad would pick me up in his vette from preschool and school.. Heck, I still remember to this day the last time my dad picked me up from high school soccer practice in his vette. I remember my coach saying how awesome the car sounded. I remember all my buddies complimenting the car. I knew when I turned 16, I was going to buy myself a '73 vette and I did.

Just think about the memories you could make with your children.. You might think that it might not have that much of an effect on them, but I can tell you that it has on me and it will on them!
Amen brother

My son already says its his car
Old 09-01-2011, 04:12 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

^I agree, a friend of the family has a C6 convertible. Although I like that car, and it has more power, I think its more fun to ride in the C3.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:06 PM
SubjectAlpha
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll just chime in here as a C6 owner. I lurk here in this forum because I absolutely love the look of the C3s. In my opinion, they are hands down the best looking Corvette model ever. Second place I'd give to the C6, mostly because it took a lot of styling cues from the C3. C6's are a lot more curvy than C5's.

I agree with the people who say it's better to have both, if that's in the cards for you. If you must upgrade, I'd heartily recommend going all the way up to a C6. It's just flat out a better car than the C5. If you can get past the idea of fixed headlights, you won't be disappointed.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:14 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

If it was in the cards, I'd have one of each, C1-C7
Old 09-01-2011, 06:26 PM
couperdecar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jfeelgood04
C-3's to me resemble a womans body. Could you ever get tired of that? I know I wouldnt or won't...ever.
EVERYTHING reminds me of a womans body ! Hell I drive up and down a couple hills and it reminds me of a womans body.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:41 PM
couperdecar
Burning Brakes

1 )depreciation. Your C5 will still depreciate @ 20% / year.
2) licence. C5 is double what a C3 is.
3) Maintenance : I copied this from the C5 forum:

My uncle has a C5 that currently has a problem where the fuel indicator gauge says the car is empty, even after fueling.

When he took the car to the dealer, they put it on the analyzer and then told him that the sensors in the gas tank needed to be replaced. They quoted him $1,600, saying the parts were roughly $500 and labor would take 7 hours. They told him something about having to dropping the rear end of the car to get to the gas tank.

REPLY:
wooooow... this is a very common problem for the C5 ......

4) Tires ; Much cheaper on a C3
5) Did I mention they remind me of a womans body

Last edited by couperdecar; 09-01-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Kavinsky
Advanced

Originally Posted by 24695bob
Boldnut....

Are you retiring or are you just retiring your wrench...????

I am 67 (will be 68 in a few weeks) and currently have 64 72 76 79 88 (35th anniv coupe) and 98 Corvettes in the garage..3 are coupes and 3 are convertibles...

3 of my cars are C3's..mostly because I could afford a C3 when I got caught up in this hobby and my children were out of college...

The C2 and all 3 C3's are just plain simple mechanical cars and easy to work on..which to be honest I enjoy doing..

The C4 and C5 are on the other hand cars I personally have no problem working on IF the problem is not electrical on the computer is involved...

I purchased the 98 as a retirement present and traded in a 95 because I deserved a new car...LOL

Anyway I prefer the older ones BY FAR over the newer Corvettes EXCEPT on trips..
I just have a huge smile n my face after driving my 64 72 76 and even my 79 BUT I honestly have to get out of them after 2 hours behind the wheel or I will not be able to walk...

My wife on the other hand will only ride in one of the older cars IF the trip is less then an hour and she casn't get in or out of the C4 but enjoys riding in the 98 no matter how long the trip is IF the top is UP....so her hair does not get messed up..

Keep the C3 and buy a C5 to get the best of both world's as others have said...i

BTW..my favorite overall car to drive is my 76 4 sp low optioned car while it does not win in any single category overall it gets my vote as the last car I would sell if I had to divest of my cars...

I have no intention of buying a newer Corvette Period...

Bob G

hmm I wonder if those fiero seats I've been reading about would remedy that 2 hour drive problem
Old 09-02-2011, 09:07 PM
70L46
Le Mans Master

CF Pit Crew
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Almost CI III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Another vote for having them both
Old 09-05-2011, 07:39 PM
boltnut
Drifting

Ok. I might not keep the 73 C3 in the end but I'm not getting a C5. Not unless I could have both. I just can't part with the old school feel and look when it comes to hobby cars. The 73 is the latest model I've ever owned when it comes to classics and I'm ok with that.

One of the reasons I made up my mind is that over the entire long labor day weekend I did not see a single other C3 on the road but saw countless C5's. Another is that I spent the whole weekend in the garage bleeding brakes and loved it. Another is the car market sucks now. But mostly it's the way I feel when mind overules matter and I get the car to run better.

Thanks for the input.

Get notified of new replies

To 5 best reasons to own a C3 over a C5 ?

Old 09-05-2011, 09:08 PM
ButchN
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

You decide:

I plan on getting a DD Vette next year & am considering late C5 or early C6, but I plan on keeping my C3 because I've always loved the C3 lines.
The C3 will be the show car & the 5 or 6 I end up with will be the go car.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:40 PM
mad pad house
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To roughly quote another man"It is loud it is American.It's like driving sex"How can any car be better than a C3.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:04 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Make your C3 reliable. Replace the motor with an LS, put relays anywhere you are dealing with a lot of switched current, run grounds EVERYWHERE, buy a suspension kit from one of the vendors, and get some updated wheels and tires.

Think of the money you're putting into the car as the payment you would be making on the C5.

Quick Reply: 5 best reasons to own a C3 over a C5 ?