Sponsored by:

1969 ZL1 (yellow car) replica coming up for sale this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:57 AM
ZLone
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 ZL1 (yellow car) replica coming up for sale this weekend

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, I'm a relative newby.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...w=166&lottype=

http://www.corvetteonline.com/news/c...-off-at-mecum/

Corvette ZL1 Replica to be Auctioned off at Mecum

by Lindsey Fisher on July 28, 2011
3Comments

The 1969 Corvette ZL1 was the most expensive and rarest Corvette created back in the day. Only two production Corvettes were equipped with the rare all-aluminum L88 427 CI engine based on the Chaparral Race Car engines. Because they are so rare, finding a ZL1 is nearly impossible. This is why creating replicas is the easiest and cheapest way to go if you want the “ZL1 experience.” One of these replicas popped up recently as part of the upcoming Daytime Auction in Monterey, California.

This ZL1 replica was originally manufactured as a big block car, making the replication process a little bit easier for its creator. It also came with radio delete and side exhaust. Just like the ZL1 Corvette that inspired this replica, the car originally came in Daytona Yellow with a black interior. Both the interior and paint were completely redone upon completion of the mechanical restoration process, giving the car a straight-from-the-factory look. The replica comes with new Firestone tires, starter, condenser and battery. To top it off, the car’s electrical system was recently gone through and the replica was tuned for optimal performance.

While this isn’t the real deal, the replica allows the ZL1 spirit to live on for a fraction of the price. We’re sure that this car will get plenty of attention from ZL1 fans. In addition to the replica, the winning bidder will receive a Hot Wheels ZL1 model, many manuals, books and magazines about the ZL1 Corvettes. If you want to bid on the replica, it will cross the auction block on Friday August 19th at 4:55p.m. Keep in mind that a new ZL1 engine is available for this car with 1969 specifications but it doesn’t come with the car.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

....realistically, I'd rather have the clone and be able to drive it, not worrying about it's museum status and value of the real one. Plus, the original doesn't have it's original motor anyways, so does it really matter?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

So exactly what engine is in this clone? I'll bet it is an iron block engine, not even aluminum heads. All the hype about the real car, no information about this car other than it's birthday. Hey, you can buy my car, which was born 3 weeks later, put on an L88 intake and hood, paint a black stripe on it, take out the radio and call it the yellow ZL-1 replica. Drive it all you want, I do. I'll even find a toy car to go with it.

Last edited by Faster Rat; 08-15-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:31 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ZLone
Is this your car that's being auctioned off ?
Old 08-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Jay-Dog
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet you could buy 100 of my cheapo 76 look-a-like's for the price of the original ZL1. $10K vs. 1 Million? Clones are the way to go for those of us that want to drive cars.

Last edited by Jay-Dog; 08-15-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:44 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
So exactly what engine is in this clone?
yes, really... kind of a basic question one normally expects answered in the description of a car, no ?

Looks like a nice ... uh... "tribute" car, but how do you guage the value of something like that? Interesting that the description claims the car was an original radio delete sidepipe car. That is fairly unique, but again, not sure how relevant to where it sits now.

Keep in mind that a new ZL1 engine is available for this car with 1969 specifications but it doesn’t come with the car.
If it was a really good replica it would come with that engine intalled. I think it would be cool if it had the same vin as Rogers car. You could go over there one night and break a few windows at his showroom and then start a rumor that the cars had been switched... JUST KIDDING!!!

Last edited by PRNDL; 08-15-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ZLone

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...w=166&lottype=

http://www.corvetteonline.com/news/c...-off-at-mecum/

Corvette ZL1 Replica to be Auctioned off at Mecum

by Lindsey Fisher on July 28, 2011
3Comments

The 1969 Corvette ZL1 was the most expensive and rarest Corvette created back in the day. Only two production Corvettes were equipped with the rare all-aluminum L88 427 CI engine based on the Chaparral Race Car engines. Because they are so rare, finding a ZL1 is nearly impossible. This is why creating replicas is the easiest and cheapest way to go if you want the “ZL1 experience.” One of these replicas popped up recently as part of the upcoming Daytime Auction in Monterey, California.

1. - This ZL1 replica was originally manufactured as a big block car, making the replication process a little bit easier for its creator. It also came with radio delete and side exhaust. Just like the ZL1 Corvette that inspired this replica, the car originally came in Daytona Yellow with a black interior. Both the interior and paint were completely redone upon completion of the mechanical restoration process, giving the car a straight-from-the-factory look. The replica comes with new Firestone tires, starter, condenser and battery. To top it off, the car’s electrical system was recently gone through and the replica was tuned for optimal performance.

While this isn’t the real deal, the replica allows the ZL1 spirit to live on for a fraction of the price. We’re sure that this car will get plenty of attention from ZL1 fans. In addition to the replica, the winning bidder will receive a Hot Wheels ZL1 model, many manuals, books and magazines about the ZL1 Corvettes. If you want to bid on the replica, it will cross the auction block on Friday August 19th at 4:55p.m. 2. - Keep in mind that a new ZL1 engine is available for this car with 1969 specifications but it doesn’t come with the car.

What the OP says. ^^^^

What the OP means. VVVVV

1. - This is an NOM big block car that doesn't have its original engine anymore, so it isn't worth much, so we decided to try a new approach to making a buck or two.

By "the replica was tuned for optimal performance", we mean the engine is low compression and runs of junk gas. There is a ton of torque which will smash you into the seat more than a Corolla, but it is far from being high performance.

2. - Key word, new. This is a new crate engine with 1969 specs. It is not a 1969 ZL-1 engine, which would be worth a ton of money on its own.

Newsflash for the OP:

It takes more that new paint and the same color to create a replica or a clone. You seem to have a yellow Corvette with black interior and maybe a black fender stripe. That is not a replica or a clone.

Last edited by Mark_Milner; 08-15-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Note after rattling on & on about a paint job the engine is not stated

"Keep in mind that a new ZL1 engine is available for this car with 1969 specifications but it doesn’t come with the car."

PS I don't expect this to fool any real collectors.

Last edited by Ganey; 08-15-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: PS
Old 08-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Jay-Dog
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey fellas.... lighten up.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:22 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty car. A few owners from now however this car will be represented by some greedy azzgasket as the real deal.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:24 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Well, the term "replica" is a rather serious claim IMCO, denoting a convincing copy or faithful clone that actually needs the disclaimer. There is a lot more to a ZL1 than a BB, paint accent and radio delete. No mention of what spec BB is installed, gearing, J56 brakes, alum rad, the shroud appears incorrect (IIRC), the block appears to be painted silver, and I'd like to think they'd show a close up of the engine ID plate and octane warning sticker...

Oh, it's a nice car, but I'd suggest the term "tribute" would be a far more accurate description. Sadly, I agree that someday some jerk will probably try to sell it as the real thing. My $.02

edit - Actually "poser" might be a better word than even "tribute".

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 08-16-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

the new ZL1 is a clone of the original ZL1 with a lot less horsepower......so not much of any thing is real except its a Vette....on top of that it could also be a small block car
Old 08-16-2011, 09:03 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

- California titled: only 2 ZL1s were production built and sold according to GM records
- Restoration from the ground up, including new paint, interior and all new suspension
- The Corvette ZL1 still lives as the rarest and most expensive engine option to leave the St. Louis Corvette plant
- Built 3/18/69 and sold to Gene Jantzen Chevrolet in St. Louis, Missouri, located across the street from the GM/Chevrolet plant (Source NCRS)
The ZL-1 option did not exist when this VIN was built.
During the normal changeover for the 1970 models the plant closed for a week for retooling. After a week off for inventory and tool changes plant production of the 1969 model resumed on Monday, August 4, 1969. A number of changes were associated with the resumption of production; these included the raised white letter tire option and the ZL-1 option. 69 Stingray Guidebook
All '69's made after this date are collectively known as 'second design' 69's.

Last edited by 69 Chevy; 08-16-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Zee06
Instructor

The so-called "replica" is an automatic and the original is a 4-speed. To me that is a no-brainer for missing the point here...Whoops..
Old 09-20-2012, 02:05 AM
Russell Murray
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Paul Borowski
Plus, the original doesn't have it's original motor anyways, so does it really matter?
Actually, it did when Wayne Walker sold it after the restoration and Roger seems to think it's still in there...

Last edited by Russell Murray; 09-20-2012 at 03:34 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:31 AM
Russell Murray
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
The ZL-1 option did not exist when this VIN was built. All '69's made after this date are collectively known as 'second design' 69's.

The Yellow ZL1 was built 9/11/69 and was documented to be the first RPO version built.
I wonder if that's the original hood? Zagos had dropped in a 454 to sell it, perhaps he put those emblems on it? Was this at the Nabors Brothers shop?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
...So exactly what engine is in this clone?...
Interesting that neither listing supplies that information.

Mecum knows better than to throw around the term "radio delete."

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 ZL1 (yellow car) replica coming up for sale this weekend

Old 09-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Russell Murray
The Yellow ZL1 was built 9/11/69 and was documented to be the first RPO version built.
Russell,

How was that established?

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Old 09-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Russell Murray
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Rowdy Rat
Russell,

How was that established?

Regards,
Stan Falenski
Part of the mountain of documentation Wayne gathered was records from George Heberling, the resident engineer of the Corvette plant, who had ordered the car for his own use. He had the sequence info, the build order, the stripe blueprints, and many other items for that car in his personal records. The GSA grabbed their "prize" when they seized the car but the documentation was left behind and has apparently vanished.
Semper Fi, Stan!

Last edited by Russell Murray; 09-20-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Russell Murray
Part of the mountain of documentation Wayne gathered was records from George Heberling, the resident engineer of the Corvette plant, who had ordered the car for his own use. He had the sequence info, the build order, the stripe blueprints, and many other items for that car in his personal records. The GSA grabbed their "prize" when they seized the car but the documentation was left behind and has apparently vanished.
Semper Fi, Stan!
Semper Fi Russell!

I wasn't aware that any documentation was left behind... I was aware that it has been MIA ever since the government took possession of the car. I always gathered that the docs were lost in the transition somehow, but from your comments, it sounds as if they never took any of the paperwork to begin with.

From your post in the other thread, you mentioned that you observed a lot of this while Wayne still owned it. If that documentation included proof that this was the first car built for sale... Well, it would certainly put an end to any conjecture about factory assembled ZL-1 Corvettes sold before #29219.

It is odd though... GM was cranking out ZL-1 Camaros in December of 1968 so you would think that the option would have been offered a least a bit earlier in a Corvette before September 1969.

It also puts into perspective how long ago some of this happened. If I recall correctly, Wayne found and restored that car sometime in the late 1970's... Over 40 years ago! Heberling was still alive, the car was relatively new, and documents/records for these cars were a lot easier to come by. It's no wonder Wayne Walker had a bunch of info on this car.

Good stuff... Thanks for your comments Russell!

Regards,

Stan Falenski

Quick Reply: 1969 ZL1 (yellow car) replica coming up for sale this weekend