C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did anyone else have to trim carpet this much?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:55 PM
phildawg19
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did anyone else have to trim carpet this much?

I just ordered a new carpet set from Wilcox, but manufactured by mid america. I went to install the wheel well area and this is what it looks like as of now. I didnt want to trim yet because it just seems like a ton. Also, any tips for trimming these jokers? I have some heavy duty scissors, but i need some help as how much i need to trim and all. I dont have my old carpet when i removed everything from the car in may i was a little trigger happy to throw what i didnt need anymore away haha

here is a pic of the wheel wells

Old 08-03-2011, 03:01 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe with carpet, you want to use a utility knife on the back. You don't want to cut from the front side, or with a scissors, because you will cut the loops and the edge won't come out as nice and it will unravel easier. Talk to a carpet installer about it.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:19 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

try really sharp tin snipes...... also are you sure you have them on the correct sides?....
Old 08-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Are you sure you have a carpet set for a 77?

Some trimming is expected, but the wheel house carpeting in your pic seems to be way too big.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,468 Likes on 790 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I just installed carpet in my 82 also from Willcox. A good utility knife works well. Make sure you keep fresh blades in it. When the knife starts to not cut as well change the blade. I did not have excessive trimming to do. My complaint was the cargo door opening was not precut. That took some extra time to get right.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:47 PM
phildawg19
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onaqwst
try really sharp tin snipes...... also are you sure you have them on the correct sides?....
haha in the pic i had them wrong. i uploaded the wrong picture, but it is still the same amount hanging out. i have trimmed some. im just scared about trimming too much
Old 08-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by phildawg19
I just ordered a new carpet set from Wilcox, but manufactured by mid america. I went to install the wheel well area and this is what it looks like as of now. I didnt want to trim yet because it just seems like a ton. Also, any tips for trimming these jokers? I have some heavy duty scissors, but i need some help as how much i need to trim and all. I dont have my old carpet when i removed everything from the car in may i was a little trigger happy to throw what i didnt need anymore away haha

here is a pic of the wheel wells

Well, you've aready figured out that you should have kept the old carpet...Ouch! BTDT myself on a C3, as a matter of fact! It is just going to take a little more time and more trial and error fittings before gluing it up and sticking it down.

There's plenty of material to trim off - a GOOD thing. IMO, how much is not an issue. Not having enough carpet to fit or cutting it too short IS a problem!

Take your time, buy a quality carpet knife and a pack of quality spare blades, and you'll get it done. Be careful...I don't believe there are many blades in this world sharper than a carpet knife blade. OH! And I bout gave up on that 3M carpet spray adhesive in favor of that green carpet glue MA sells. (some really good stuff!)

P.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
I agree that TOO MUCH carpet is far better than TOO LITTLE.
I found that using a scissors is better than a knife because it gives more control of the cut.
I bought a scissors that had blades that were about 1/2 the length of regular household scissors. This made the carpet easier to cut and the short blade helps to make precise cuts.
You can see the scissors I bought and a regular scissors that I also used for some cuts laying on the carpet in this picture.
Regards,
Alan

Old 08-03-2011, 06:05 PM
thatcorvetteguy
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Use a soldering iron for the setbelt holes
Old 08-03-2011, 09:57 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Measure twice, cut once. You can always trim it a little smaller, but ya can't trim it any bigger. Leave an inch or two extra until the whole thing is done, in case ya need to tug and pull here and there.

Scott
Old 08-04-2011, 01:35 AM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alan, did you leave that much carpet under the sill plates, or was the picture taken before you trimmed? I'm carpeting once the paint's done.
Cheers
Grant
Old 08-04-2011, 05:30 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmagrath
Alan, did you leave that much carpet under the sill plates, or was the picture taken before you trimmed? I'm carpeting once the paint's done.
Cheers
Grant
"...that much under the sill plates..."

In my case, I left a bit more than that. In fact, I cut "V" notches in from the edges to expose the holes for the sill screws - affording as much adhesive purchase as possible. Sills (new) fit just fine.

P.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:51 PM
ButchN
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

I also got my carpet from Willcox & my entire rear section was one piece.
I got the one that Tom said was the best one to get, all pre cut, very little trmming.
I tossed the box, A1 or something. I saw anoteh restorer on this forum had a pic of it in his thread.
And I left about that much under the sill plates as shown above as it was trimmed, sealed & has plastic going from front to back with the holes in there for the sill plate screws to line up with.
I really gotta get off my butt, take some pics & post them here.

Get notified of new replies

To Did anyone else have to trim carpet this much?

Quick Reply: Did anyone else have to trim carpet this much?