Sponsored by:

Corvette Repair Shops on Long Island

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:31 AM
tmd442
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Corvette Repair Shops on Long Island

Would anyone happen to have any input on "Vette-Dreams"?
The shop is located in Babylon Long Island, I did a search on line and can't find any comments either positive or negative on the shop.
I plan on taking a ride tomorrow to check out their facility. Looking to have my 71 motor rebuilt.
I'm aware of "Vette Doctors and also Corvette Connection.
I'd appreciate any information.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:11 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tmd442
The shop is located in Babylon Long Island, I did a search on line and can't find any comments either positive or negative on the shop.
I plan on taking a ride tomorrow to check out their facility. Looking to have my 71 motor rebuilt.
There is also Corvettes Unlimited on RT 109 in W Babylon & Corvette Repair in Valley Stream. Haven't had any of them do work for me personally.

If you having the engine rebuilt you don't necessarily need a Corvette specific shop

Jim
Old 07-19-2011, 12:41 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 431 Likes on 258 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

TOMS VETTS IN DEER PARK
Dominick @ Vett Dreams is a good guy, might be having him paint my car in the winter...........he is in the process of moving .

there is also benchmark in lindenhurst

motor rebuild.... ??? I WOULDNT GO TO ANY OF THEM

Go to Jack Merkel / Merkel motors
Shafiroff racing or Mcbetts ................all top notch engine builders

http://www.shafiroff.com/

Last edited by 427SIXPACK; 07-19-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:22 PM
tmd442
Instructor

Thanks for all the info, Will look into Merkel, he's been there since my high school days.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:37 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the info, Will look into Merkel, he's been there since my high school days.
I've had work done by both Merkel & McBetts. Both were top notch and very easy to work with. Neither tried to oversell.

Jim
Old 07-19-2011, 03:11 PM
rvazquez
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 81 Posts
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

just make sure, and I can't emphasise this enough, get it in writing or plan to be there when its done, If you are dealing with an original engine from your '71, make sure the numbers on the block remain intact!!!
I've heard some horror stories from people who had the blocked decked and lost the numbers, say bye-bye to 5K in value!!!
Regards
Roy
Old 07-19-2011, 07:41 PM
tmd442
Instructor

Got a qoute tonight from Corvette Connection in Bohemia, Very honest and straight forward.
I was told they send the block out to either McBetts or PCHS.
3-4 week turn around.
A few more places to look into then I'll decide.
Roy, I am very worried about the numbers if they deck the block.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:49 AM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Got a qoute tonight from Corvette Connection in Bohemia, Very honest and straight forward.
I was told they send the block out to either McBetts or PCHS.
3-4 week turn around.
A few more places to look into then I'll decide.
Roy, I am very worried about the numbers if they deck the block.
I wouldnt go to Corvette Connection for a motor job, thats like going to Eklers for a motor job. They dont do anything in house, they are NOT engine builders, they are mainly a parts distributor & dont really stock much either. Every time I called there they had to order what I needed, never ever anything instock, C A R E F U L !!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:29 PM
tmd442
Instructor

Originally Posted by 427SIXPACK
I wouldnt go to Corvette Connection for a motor job, thats like going to Eklers for a motor job. They dont do anything in house, they are NOT engine builders, they are mainly a parts distributor & dont really stock much either. Every time I called there they had to order what I needed, never ever anything instock, C A R E F U L !!

The only thing (which to me is the most imporant) I was told he wasn't sure if they (the machine shop) could save the numbers on the block if it had to be decked!
A big Red Flag to me.
Went to Vette-Dreams yesterday and Dominick was up front.
I'm still searching..

Thanks for the input

Last edited by tmd442; 07-21-2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-21-2011, 09:54 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 427SIXPACK
Hey in case you did not know , Nobody does in house engine rebuilds . In my shop I farm out the actual rebuild but I do the R/I as I would not trust the monkeys batting on your car with wiffle ball bats . I am sure everybody does the same as everybody has their own place in the repair process .
Old 07-21-2011, 10:16 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

The only thing (which to me is the most imporant) I was told he wasn't sure if they (the machine shop) could save the numbers on the block if it had to be decked!
A big Red Flag to me.
Went to Vette-Dreams yesterday and Dominick was up front.
I'm still searching..

Thanks for the input
corvette shops do most work on the cars that are mostly out there.
they work mostly on C4, C5, and C6 because that is what gets them their business and that's the majority of corvettes that are on hte road. There is not a whole lot of C2-C3 cars out there that the owner does not work on themselves, so watch out. I bet alot of machanics never touched a C3. That being said, from an above post.. its just an old chevy small block and any engine shop should be able to work on it.

any shop that cannot guarantee that the pad won't be decked should be strung up.. you need to run from someone making a statement like that.

also, to help guarantee that, just tell them do not deck the block, it rarely if ever needs it and the service is usually only sold to a car owner when a shop owner needs to make a boat payment.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:35 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by paulywannafly
Hey in case you did not know , Nobody does in house engine rebuilds . In my shop I farm out the actual rebuild but I do the R/I as I would not trust the monkeys batting on your car with wiffle ball bats . I am sure everybody does the same as everybody has their own place in the repair process .
NOBODY ??? WOW thats really painting with a broad brush.........

I guess what I was trying to say here, is that "CORVETTE CONNECTION" is not a motor / engine shop, nor are they known for doing motor work. They are mostly a small "VERY SMALL" distributor of parts, dont stock much & do very minor work in their repair shop. I wouldnt let anyone there tear my engine down & rebuilt it, even if it was F R E E !!!

MCBETTES / SHAFIROFF / MERKEL are strictly engine shops & from what I know of them, do EVERYTHING IN HOUSE !!!

They all are very well known, engine builders, they build race engines for the local short track cars, racing engings for boats, as well as large horse applications for dragsters. "PROFESSIONALS"
REMEMBER: You get what you pay for.........
Old 07-22-2011, 06:41 PM
tmd442
Instructor

Originally Posted by joewill
corvette shops do most work on the cars that are mostly out there.
they work mostly on C4, C5, and C6 because that is what gets them their business and that's the majority of corvettes that are on hte road. There is not a whole lot of C2-C3 cars out there that the owner does not work on themselves, so watch out. I bet alot of machanics never touched a C3. That being said, from an above post.. its just an old chevy small block and any engine shop should be able to work on it.

any shop that cannot guarantee that the pad won't be decked should be strung up.. you need to run from someone making a statement like that.

also, to help guarantee that, just tell them do not deck the block, it rarely if ever needs it and the service is usually only sold to a car owner when a shop owner needs to make a boat payment.

The owner of Vette-Dreams told me 98% of blocks do not need to be decked, He stated that the numbers will not be touched!

As you said they send the block out to a local shop who actually does most of the rebuild.
He seemed very upfront and I liked the shop, C1's - C6 were there.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

This was in Corvette Fever a few years back. All the shops listed were from readers that had good luck at those listed. Looks like Corvette Dreams got a

Gary.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

As a previous poster mentioned, I wouldnt have a Corvette specialty shop build a motor. Trailing arms yes, engine no.

JA Performance is another top notch builder that no one has yet mentioned. I had a 454 built by James back in 2002, and it was a very well assembled piece, with competent choice of parts, and some awesome headwork. I would have him build another motor in a heartbeat.

Ive heard good things about Ace Crankshaft, as well as LAB. And as always there is the machine shop boys at SK on 109.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:28 AM
tmd442
Instructor

I appreciate all the information, Still shopping around.
My gut feeling so far is Vette-Dreams, I'm not in a rush to have it done.
Probably wait until October or so.
The following users liked this post:
Vettesic (05-21-2022)
Old 07-30-2011, 03:23 PM
tmd442
Instructor

Well I stopped yesterday to Vette-Doctors in Amityville.
Very nice place, They send the block out for the machine work but do all the engine building in house, they actually have a clean room where they do the assembly.
Carmen (the owner) is getting prices for me and I will update when I hear back from him.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Joseph Robles
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vette dreams

hi im look for vet dreams or for the number if any one can help me plz all give me a call to let me no 570-575-9320 ty

Last edited by Joseph Robles; 05-17-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:40 AM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joseph Robles
hi im look for vet dreams or for the number if any one can help me plz all give me a call to let me no 570-575-9320 ty
incase your still looking / 631-661-4613
dominick / vette dreams / falmouth ave babylon ny

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Repair Shops on Long Island

Quick Reply: Corvette Repair Shops on Long Island