C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wait... You want WHAT for your car?!?!?! (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:41 AM
KevinK
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL Billy! I haven't laughed that hard in a WHILE...got a little tear in the corner of my eye....

I think that some people are just delusional. I mean, I own a 76', pretty good condition, with a refreshed 350, rebuilt 4 speed, rebuilt suspension, etc, and the absolute MOST I think I could swindle someone for it would be....6 grand? If it had decent paint, maybe 10,000.

I know that sometimes life looms up and screws with our plans...you're 26, you buy this corvette with the hopes of working on it, driving it around, etc, but then things happen, and some more things happen, and before you know, the poor old girl has been sitting for 3 years...and now you need to replaced the brakes, hoses, etc...so it sits even longer because you just don't have that kinda time/money, and you turn around, and it's sat for 9 years. Same thing happened to my dad's vette, then he gave it to me. But for god's sake, don't live in such denial. If the time ever comes that I can't keep my car running, and it sits for long long periods of time, I'll sell it, before I EVER let it get to this point. That man should be totally ashamed of himself, he really should. I would never let ANY investment of mine fall to such a state of disrepair. Lord knows, sometimes money is tight, and sometimes I just go for months without even so much time as to be able to start her up and let her idle for a while, in order to take her for a spin. But this goes beyond that.

When he was telling you about it, did he get all defensive, like, trying to explain why he never bothered to so much as lift a finger to keep the car in half way decent shape? For god's sake, take the insulation OUT of the air clear...and don't scribe for SALE into the DIRT of the car. Get a legit sign. Show the potential buyer that it's not a joke.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:49 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

You have better chances restoring that garbage can to its original condition.

Wow.....The condition those two Vettes look is what I consider a "Garbage Sale"
Old 07-11-2011, 10:44 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But they're all original numbers matching!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:48 AM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I read/hear this all the time..."All I want is what I put into the car" as if that as anything to do with it's actual value.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:18 PM
KTKelly
Burning Brakes

Problem is that some other dipstick, that doesn't know any better, will end up buying it and think he got a deal....
Old 07-11-2011, 01:50 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by KTKelly
Problem is that some other dipstick, that doesn't know any better, will end up buying it and think he got a deal....
A future CF member with many questions.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Texas Stinger
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't even want to know what he used to write "4 sale"
Old 07-11-2011, 04:00 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

And I have a 77 on CL that I can't even get anyone to call about. And it's a really good driver..
Old 07-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by gq82
I read/hear this all the time..."All I want is what I put into the car" as if that as anything to do with it's actual value.
I bought my 2003 Exploder new on 3/1/03 for about $28K. It has 92,000 miles on it, a worn and cracking driver's seat, oxidized paint with tons of small dents and scratches, its second set of tires are looking pretty tired, and I just put a new alternator in it. Who here is going to pay me $28,200? Well? Well? I mean, come on, I just want to get out of it what I put into it! Where's the offers?

Oh, and I forgot: as the original owner, I can guarantee you it has it's original "born with" engine and transmission. Do I hear $30,000?
Old 07-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Texas Stinger
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PKguitar
I bought my 2003 Exploder new on 3/1/03 for about $28K.
Was that a typo or jab at Ford? Do you happen to have it sitting next to a 1998 Explorer with a trash can in middle?
Old 07-11-2011, 05:59 PM
THefley
Instructor

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
A future CF member with many questions.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Legacy Stables
Racer

Default 50+ post in one day

No no no it isn’t worth five grand parted and worth leas than a grand as is. It makes me sad to see that car. Only a unknowable dreamer would buy that car for more than a grand and would get nothing from it but heartbreak disappoint resentment and a perpetually empty bank account. And if he sticks to his price that is exactly what will happen. That car makes me sad and the owner will pass that on to someone else.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:59 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

[QUOTE=Vettebuyer5869;1578095480]So, he decided to keep the primo red C4 instead?

What exactly transpired after you looked the car over? Did you say, "the car doesn't even have salvage value, I'll give you $500?" Or "$5000 seems a little high?" I always like to know what people like this say.
QUOTE]

I honestly think he was wondering why I didnt bring up money or make offers etc. I pulled up in my vette, which might have given him a clue that I know what these cars are worth, esp parts cars.

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
How much are tag fees each year in Texas and do they require current tags ? Buying tags each year can be a good "motivater".
Ive never heard of tag fees...

Originally Posted by bb62
Even if one fully restored that car to NCRS top flight specs, just how much is a low HP auto trans 77 worth anyway? I can't believe that the car would be worth restoring if the owner GAVE IT AWAY. Is there anything the car doesn't need?

I agree, it looks like a parts car - if that. Looking at the rust on the brake master cylinder, I can't imagine what the frame or birdcage look like. Maybe the fiberglass could be restored and used by someone with significant body damage.
Actually its a texas car, and there is no rust in any of the frame, suspension floors or rad support. Its mechanically nice, but cosmetically shot.

Originally Posted by paul 74
Why do you waste gas to look at cars like this?

For one, this was a tip from my friend, I didnt knwo the condition till i got there. If this had been on CL i wouldnt have wasted my time bc I woudl have known the price before hand.
Originally Posted by KevinK
LOL Billy! I haven't laughed that hard in a WHILE...got a little tear in the corner of my eye....

I think that some people are just delusional. I mean, I own a 76', pretty good condition, with a refreshed 350, rebuilt 4 speed, rebuilt suspension, etc, and the absolute MOST I think I could swindle someone for it would be....6 grand? If it had decent paint, maybe 10,000.

I know that sometimes life looms up and screws with our plans...you're 26, you buy this corvette with the hopes of working on it, driving it around, etc, but then things happen, and some more things happen, and before you know, the poor old girl has been sitting for 3 years...and now you need to replaced the brakes, hoses, etc...so it sits even longer because you just don't have that kinda time/money, and you turn around, and it's sat for 9 years. Same thing happened to my dad's vette, then he gave it to me. But for god's sake, don't live in such denial. If the time ever comes that I can't keep my car running, and it sits for long long periods of time, I'll sell it, before I EVER let it get to this point. That man should be totally ashamed of himself, he really should. I would never let ANY investment of mine fall to such a state of disrepair. Lord knows, sometimes money is tight, and sometimes I just go for months without even so much time as to be able to start her up and let her idle for a while, in order to take her for a spin. But this goes beyond that.

When he was telling you about it, did he get all defensive, like, trying to explain why he never bothered to so much as lift a finger to keep the car in half way decent shape? For god's sake, take the insulation OUT of the air clear...and don't scribe for SALE into the DIRT of the car. Get a legit sign. Show the potential buyer that it's not a joke.
You should have listened to all the things he did on it. "It just needs a fuel pump

Originally Posted by gq82
Originally Posted by UNSC-S117
No no no it isn’t worth five grand parted and worth leas than a grand as is. It makes me sad to see that car. Only a unknowable dreamer would buy that car for more than a grand and would get nothing from it but heartbreak disappoint resentment and a perpetually empty bank account. And if he sticks to his price that is exactly what will happen. That car makes me sad and the owner will pass that on to someone else.

THE WORST PART IS HE SAID HE WASNT A CORVETTE GUY, BUT A CHRYSLER GUY.... There is the proof in his driveway
Old 07-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Texas Stinger
Was that a typo or jab at Ford? Do you happen to have it sitting next to a 1998 Explorer with a trash can in middle?
Just a jab at the name, not even really with Ford. This is my second Explorer, and generally, they have been good vehicles.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:05 AM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope he gets $5k for that, if only to indicate that my car might be worth $7k.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Snoopysvet
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I know of a primer 1973 4-speed car sitting outside on blocks with no rims and tires, been there at least 8 years. They want 8K for it
Old 07-12-2011, 04:29 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,548 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I was just at Mecum and they only got $6800 for a 77 that was in good condition! What a POS!

Get notified of new replies

To Wait... You want WHAT for your car?!?!?! (PICS)

Old 07-12-2011, 07:08 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

So was he selling the car for $5000 or was that a ransom request?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:40 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Cars are still there. Last time I talked to him, he had lowered his price to 4k for both
Old 08-22-2012, 12:18 AM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Poor - Poor cars !

Frank

Quick Reply: Wait... You want WHAT for your car?!?!?! (PICS)