Sponsored by:

To all the guys that lowered their cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default To all the guys that lowered their cars

Ok i lowered my car down to about even with the rim of fender to top of tire,my problem is that when i fit a dip in road ,my exhaust under car will scrap,how are you guys doing it without this problem?i guess this only pertains to the guys with under car exhaust.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:26 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 06-26-2011, 04:36 PM
garage-ghost
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car isn't lowered and it hits occasionally.
I've learned over the years NOT to straddle a high spot in the road IE: humps, man holes etc.. in stead I hit them with one of the tires and have avoided a whole lot of scraping.

Last edited by garage-ghost; 06-26-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:40 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

stiffer shocks... i have air shocks in the rear also...
Old 06-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by onaqwst
stiffer shocks... i have air shocks in the rear also...
Air shocks lift car to work right how do you get stiff shocks but the car is lowered.I mean the shock would already be compressed.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Also my exhaust is right up close to the bottom,cant get it any closer.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:56 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Can't directly reference your ride heights againt mine, but if I'm not careful even my sidemounts can contact typical speedbumps, and I'm on some fairly stiff coils. That said, the only other thing that has bottomed on more than rare occasions is the lower rim of my scattershield, which has "self-adjusted" over time.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

I guess the only choice is to adjust it up higher
Old 06-26-2011, 06:40 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Add a leaf to stiffen the spring or put a 5 leaf in,stiffer shocks,add some height to the trailing arm bumpers to limit how far car can drop.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:13 AM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flat pipes, do a search, I've posted pics.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:05 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

You mentioned that the wheelwell lip is right at the height of the tire. That seems pretty low to me. The best position for appearance [IMO] is that the space above the tire is the same as the space between the front & back of the tires to the wheelwell. Sounds like you lowered it about 1-1/2" too much. Also, the exhaust system should not be hanging lower than the thickness of the pipes and about 1 more inch below the frame. The stock C3 pipes were welded and has no hardware sticking below the bottom level of the pipes. If that is the way your exhaust system is, you must have lowered the car a bit too much. My car never hits bottom unless I do something stupid.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by enkeivette
Flat pipes, do a search, I've posted pics.
Flat pipes, hmmm
Old 06-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
You mentioned that the wheelwell lip is right at the height of the tire. That seems pretty low to me. The best position for appearance [IMO] is that the space above the tire is the same as the space between the front & back of the tires to the wheelwell. Sounds like you lowered it about 1-1/2" too much. Also, the exhaust system should not be hanging lower than the thickness of the pipes and about 1 more inch below the frame. The stock C3 pipes were welded and has no hardware sticking below the bottom level of the pipes. If that is the way your exhaust system is, you must have lowered the car a bit too much. My car never hits bottom unless I do something stupid.
I guess i have about an inch between the top of the wheel and fender lip,and my exhaust is tight against the bottom.Alot of people here have theirs that low or lower.I guess all i can do is raise it a little higher.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:03 PM
glackore
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With regard to suspension travel, I used to have an issue with my rear tire sidewalls making contact with my fender lip (too much reverse offset on the old American Racing wheels). There was a VERY noticeable difference in suspension travel when I changed my shocks to Koni adjustables. I have my rear on the firmest setting possible and BAM, life is good.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by glackore
With regard to suspension travel, I used to have an issue with my rear tire sidewalls making contact with my fender lip (too much reverse offset on the old American Racing wheels). There was a VERY noticeable difference in suspension travel when I changed my shocks to Koni adjustables. I have my rear on the firmest setting possible and BAM, life is good.
Did they change your ride to be rougher? if not where did you buy them and how much?
Old 06-28-2011, 05:13 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Flatten the pipes. Your car would look even cooler if it was lower. I can get one finger inbetween the top of the rear tire and the fender. The front tire is tucked into the fender at ride height.
The lowest point on my car is my front spoiler... 3" from the ground. Next to hit would be the scattershield and then the sidepipes (4"). I have been driving the car like this for a few years now with no real issues. A few scrapes on speed bumps, but nothing bad. I am a master of spotting potholes now... Baltimore roads cant be worse than the roads here in NJ!

PS. Stiff suspension helps too
Old 06-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vette427-sbc
Flatten the pipes. Your car would look even cooler if it was lower. I can get one finger inbetween the top of the rear tire and the fender. The front tire is tucked into the fender at ride height.
The lowest point on my car is my front spoiler... 3" from the ground. Next to hit would be the scattershield and then the sidepipes (4"). I have been driving the car like this for a few years now with no real issues. A few scrapes on speed bumps, but nothing bad. I am a master of spotting potholes now... Baltimore roads cant be worse than the roads here in NJ!

PS. Stiff suspension helps too
Yes,i like the look of it,but it was scrapping on the bottom to much for me.Stiffer suspension might help and i may look to do that,but my car rides rough now,i would hate to feel it afterward with side pipes you can get away with a little more then under car exhaust. I like the look of your car.

Get notified of new replies

To To all the guys that lowered their cars

Old 06-28-2011, 05:52 PM
glackore
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, the ride is stiffer but you gotta pay the price is you wanna ride lower. I bought my shox from Summit, but most performance parts suppliers have them. I have $500 in my set of 4 Koni Classics.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by glackore
Yes, the ride is stiffer but you gotta pay the price is you wanna ride lower. I bought my shox from Summit, but most performance parts suppliers have them. I have $500 in my set of 4 Koni Classics.
I might try those shocks cant afford that much right now unless i can find a deal on a set or a cheaper set that would work also.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

It was just a little lower then this pic,i think i will put it back to this height until i find a solution.

Quick Reply: To all the guys that lowered their cars