C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show me the coolest racing wheels on a C3!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You know guys there are only a couple that qualify for racing wheels,the other 98 % are just custom wheels.mine is a cheap custom
Old 06-27-2011, 10:04 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Billysvette
Paul,now you know those wheels would look better on my car then yours,you should just go a head and give them to me because of that fact
O, you so funny

You know guys there are only a couple that qualify for racing wheels,the other 98 % are just custom wheels.mine is a cheap custom
What qualifies a rim as a racing rim? Mine are a cnc'd 2 piece aluminum rim.... Centerline claims that they are there race series rims...... But again, what makes it a racing rim?
Old 06-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by glackore
Definitely like the Vintage Wheels Works wheels. I run V40's. Still a classic road race wheel look. Pick your diameter and offset; you're done and on your way!

Saved ! Looks amazing !!!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 AM
dgr72vette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 06-28-2011, 08:06 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sumthin' alill' d'frent...

16 x 12 frt. 16 x 13 r.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:53 AM
stavanger
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 97 Posts

Americans Torque Thrust D with Carlisle Spinners

Old 06-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pauldana
O, you so funny

What qualifies a rim as a racing rim? Mine are a cnc'd 2 piece aluminum rim.... Centerline claims that they are there race series rims...... But again, what makes it a racing rim?
Race rims i would say are the ones you see on road race or drag racing machines,super light and strong,Most of the ones here are really custom rims.Race rims usually cost BIG BUCKS too
Old 06-28-2011, 05:58 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Race rims i would say are the ones you see on road race or drag racing machines,super light and strong,Most of the ones here are really custom rims.Race rims usually cost BIG BUCKS too

Well, guess I may fit into this category then,;,,,...

From Centerline Wheels: they are true two piece rims, 2-piece, billet aluminum Forged Wheel -- the center section is welded into an outer rim enabling you to customize the rearspace & width
Manufactured to precise tolerances using highest quality T-6061 Billet Aluminum. Wheels are approx 30% lighter than conventional casting -- that's a proven increase in performance, gas mileage and acceleration 1625 lb. load rating per wheel w/ 32" max tire diameter.
$500 each rim.

So, do i qualify? To be honest, I really don't know...
Old 06-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

From Centerline Wheels: they are true two piece rims, 2-piece, billet aluminum Forged Wheel -- the center section is welded into an outer rim enabling you to customize the rearspace & width
Manufactured to precise tolerances using highest quality T-6061 Billet Aluminum. Wheels are approx 30% lighter than conventional casting -- that's a proven increase in performance, gas mileage and acceleration 1625 lb. load rating per wheel w/ 32" max tire diameter.
$500 each rim.

So, do i qualify? To be honest, I really don't know...
I dont think so ,maybe someone who races can elaborate , ive heard of race wheels higher cost then yours ,but i could be wrong,my wife always says im wrong Paul i am certainly not knocking your wheels they are some fine looking wheels that i would be proud the run on my car. want to trade
Old 06-28-2011, 11:55 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I dont think so ,maybe someone who races can elaborate , ive heard of race wheels higher cost then yours ,but i could be wrong,my wife always says im wrong Paul i am certainly not knocking your wheels they are some fine looking wheels that i would be proud the run on my car. want to trade
its all cool brother!!!!!:che ers:... I just wonder what defines a "real" race rim???? i am curious.. anyone know?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:03 AM
Curby
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

"real" road race rims are rated for loads and certified. If you have some paperwork on your rims that gives you load ratings then you ahve racing wheels. if you bought yours off of an eBay store or a tire store showroom, then they are probably street wheels.

The main difference comes in to play when you are on the track, running through a hard corner and the wheel either holds or it breaks. I saw a 350Z run off into the gravel at Barber's when his cool street wheel broke. He had some really sticky track tires on the car.

I LOVE the V48 wheels, and when I get my flares, I will be ordering a set in the correct offset. I run my car on tracks, but just for fun and only to the limit of the street tires. The forces my car puts on wheels is minimal.

I currently have American Racing Torq Thrust Originals, that only came in 17" x 8" with a 4.5" backspacing. These are street wheels that look like competition wheels.

I currently have 1/2" ARP wheel studs on the rear hubs, and plan on drilling out the front hubs and rotors for 1/2" studs on them this winter.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:18 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

From Centerline Wheels: 1625 lb. load rating per wheel w/ 32" max tire diameter.
$500 each rim.

lurk:
Originally Posted by Curby
"real" road race rims are rated for loads and certified. If you have some paperwork on your rims that gives you load ratings then you ahve racing wheels. .

yes, this is the written stated road loading rating. 1625lb

and no, definitely not ebay...
Old 06-29-2011, 02:36 PM
my72vette454
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are going on anther frame I am building with c-4 suspension but the other day I decided to see what they will look like. The fronts fit really good but the backs not so good, also I couldnt roll the car and get the back to settle down so its up several inches too high. They are Boyd Coddington F-22 wheels, 18x12 and 18x10.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Curby
"real" road race rims are rated for loads and certified. If you have some paperwork on your rims that gives you load ratings then you ahve racing wheels. if you bought yours off of an eBay store or a tire store showroom, then they are probably street wheels.

The main difference comes in to play when you are on the track, running through a hard corner and the wheel either holds or it breaks. I saw a 350Z run off into the gravel at Barber's when his cool street wheel broke. He had some really sticky track tires on the car.

I LOVE the V48 wheels, and when I get my flares, I will be ordering a set in the correct offset. I run my car on tracks, but just for fun and only to the limit of the street tires. The forces my car puts on wheels is minimal.

I currently have American Racing Torq Thrust Originals, that only came in 17" x 8" with a 4.5" backspacing. These are street wheels that look like competition wheels.

I currently have 1/2" ARP wheel studs on the rear hubs, and plan on drilling out the front hubs and rotors for 1/2" studs on them this winter.
That sound about right,but i guess for drag racing ,those wheels would be rated different,i would think a drag wheel would be rated by how much torque the wheel could take .
Old 06-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

yes, this is the written stated road loading rating. 1625lb

and no, definitely not ebay...
You see,you are doing it again,those wheels would be race wheels on my car,you should just pass them along to me,and i will test them to see if they can hold up to a race wheel
Old 06-29-2011, 05:49 PM
SHOWME
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True race wheels are hard to define.Alot af wheels were used to race back in the day.Ansens,cragers,centerlines,all used in drag racing on pro cars of the 60's and 70's.Road racing was a little more defined but still nothing like what is used today.Knockoff hubs and and wheel styles have changed with the cars.All wheels now are load rated.To me its what era and type.My wheels by todays standards would be street wheels.They are three piece and can be unbolted from the centers and changed for offset or the centers could be changed out if the ring was damaged.(Not just buttons pressed in holes or welded together)They were considered a race wheel in their day.I consider them street wheels since they are not a knock off hub and resemble knock offs.They were common on Porsches.Alot of these wheels could be justified as weekend warrior wheels!(Enough of a race wheel for a street car,if they are strong enough.)
Old 09-24-2022, 09:41 PM
Odin Allfather
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Sir
I saw your rims being painted but no details as to the manufacturer or name of these rims. They look awesome in that gray color and on your red convertible vette. Could I trouble you for information on how I can purchase rims like yours?
Thank you in advance
Charles
Old 09-25-2022, 01:05 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Paging Richard 454

Pics of those M Pars...amazing looking wheel
Old 09-25-2022, 06:19 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,082 Posts

Originally Posted by Odin Allfather
Dear Sir
I saw your rims being painted but no details as to the manufacturer or name of these rims. They look awesome in that gray color and on your red convertible vette. Could I trouble you for information on how I can purchase rims like yours?
Thank you in advance
Charles
It's an 11 year old thread and that user hasn't been around for a year or so
M

Quick Reply: Show me the coolest racing wheels on a C3!