C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keislers fault or not??? I still cant drive!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 04:33 PM
dmeesq
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Keislers fault or not??? I still cant drive!!!

Last year I got a TKO 500 Corvette kit from Keisler. Shortly after I started noticing trans fluid on my underside of the car. Had it up on the lift at Gordons place one day and he noticed the cap was blown out of the yolk.

He said its a common problem with this yolk and Keisler knows about it and is replacing the yolk with a new cap system.

I called Keisler and they said they would send me one, that was in the first week of MARCH! I called again, the said end of APRIL, I called again they said end of MAY, I called again, they said well basically WHO KNOWS because they cant seem to get them in from their supplier!

I cant drive with trans fluid flying out of my trans and my issue is its half way through the driving season already and KEISLER is still selling the TKO 500 kit on EBAY?????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Keisl...#ht_2128wt_939

Well thats is, im not a happy camper!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:43 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

They should stop sales of that product until the issue is resolved. I hope you are on the road soon.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I noticed same thing too, on my TKO600 from Keisler. Wondered if I had somehow, torn rear tail seal during pre-install checks?

After a few days of consistent leaking, I decided to pull driveshaft and check the seal real well. Found the same as you guys: the cap in the center of the trans yoke was not sealed and source of leak.

Removed the yoke, cleaned it and silver-soldered the cap around its perimeter. Then I ran a small bead of RTV over that, reassembled, and reinstalled.

I don't leak from that site anymore.

Hope they get you fixed up ok and soon. Sorry you're having the problem because Keisler is usually great on customer service. Good Luck.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:58 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Well that's one company I will not do buss. with in the future. If they have you on hold for that one part that long, what's to say about anything else under their warranty? Not good buss. practices. Especially in todays market when $$ is tight.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:04 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if the new ones being sold now have the problem fixed or are they selling a known problem still with no replacements? If this is all true then it is sad. I have always heard good things about them. I have been considering sticking with a standard and getting one of theirs. Maybe I'll do like my wife wants and swap over to an auto od transmission.

I'll be waiting to see if they respond to the issue on here and what they have to say. Truly sad if they aren't fixed but they still sell them with no parts to fix them.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:22 PM
dmeesq
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

I cant say all my experiences with Keisler had issues. They were very helpfull when I got the trans and even gave me a great deal because there was a delay. But this is a real PITA!!!!

And if they know about the issue ( and they do ) I hope they are selling the transmissions with the new yoke, and if thats the case why cant they take one of those and send it to me????
Old 06-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Are you shtng me. You still don't have this yet. I thought you were driving around by now. I'd be furious as I am sure you are. What is the hold up and why cant the ytake one from a kit. This is rediculous. Lets cut a round plug and JB weld the plug in so you can drive.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:24 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Can't imagine how they have 100% positve feedback.
If you paid with a credit card use your bank to get their attention.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:35 PM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

You know what, pull the damn yoke out and solder/weld it like the other guy did. I know it's a pain in the *** to pull the driveshaft but thats all you have to do...well maybe buy another u-joint if that doesn't go well. I siliconed my OEM one after hearing about problems. You can be on the road in a couple of days and not have to wait for anybody.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:36 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

That or file a small claims court suit in your locale including an amount for lost use of the vehicle. As soon as they get a copy of the suit, they will send you the required part. I'm sure they are run by MBA a$$holes that keep those needed parts for new production. Heck, they already have your money...there's no motivation for them to send you anything. Light a fire under 'em...
Old 06-13-2011, 07:36 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.
Received 262 Likes on 148 Posts

Last week when I was in Indy for the power tour I spoke to a guy from Lexington KY who had made the whole trip. He was driving a red '63 convertible and I asked him how he liked the TKO. He said aside from the leak he loved it. The guy started describing the situation and it sounds exactly what you are encountering. I find it quite remarkable this issue hasn't been sorted out yet. I love purchasing something and find that performs exactly as expected. I absolutely detest purchasing something and find it not to perform.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:08 PM
centralcalvette
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I suggest you call these clowns daily until they get their act together. I'm so tired of A$$holes like that. Their Ebay site rants about customer satisfaction, this thread doesn't seem to support that. And at five grand, you'ld think they would have already fixed this leak. Time to call the credit card company and get your money back.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When you are expecting one thing, and it is not 100%, it can be very disturbing.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:15 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
Can't imagine how they have 100% positve feedback.
If you paid with a credit card use your bank to get their attention.
Because people leave feed back once they get the item or right after they instal it and are happy until they find the issue. Then it's too late to leave that kind of feedback.

I hadn't heard of the issue before and was kind of shocked. Sounding as if it is more common than I thought. If that's the case, I can't believe that they aren't being sued or atleast forced into a recall of the product.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:40 PM
ikwhite
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well as somone who still does not have a tranny for his project and is definitely leaning towards a manual 5 spd OD, I would say this thread has caught my attention and not in a very good way for Keisler.

ikwhite
Old 06-13-2011, 11:29 PM
shmoky
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ikwhite
Well as somone who still does not have a tranny for his project and is definitely leaning towards a manual 5 spd OD, I would say this thread has caught my attention and not in a very good way for Keisler.

ikwhite

I too am thinking about a 5 speed. This has me a little worried as Keisler was my first choice.

shmoky
Old 06-14-2011, 12:41 AM
69FASTFUN
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 142 Posts

I just got a quote from them, I am now having second thoughts!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Keislers fault or not??? I still cant drive!!!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:01 AM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with my kit years ago and like others have indicated, I soldered the cap to the yoke. That solves the problem once and for all.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:55 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Binnie77
I had the same problem with my kit years ago and like others have indicated, I soldered the cap to the yoke. That solves the problem once and for all.
Thanks for posting the pic , I was wondering what exactly was wrong.
If the fix is that easy I wouldn't be waiting around for them.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:07 AM
KeislerSales
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys and gals,

We realize this is an ongoing issue and we are working with our supplier to correct the situation since this is a product that we do not manufacture. In the meantime, do what others have done to temporarily or permanently fix the leak so you CAN drive.

The slip yoke can be removed in about 20 minutes with common hand tools.

1. Remove the yoke and clean well with brake cleaner to remove any residual tranny fluid.

2. a) Use high strength epoxy to coat the OUTER area of the plug sealing it off. Do not get the epoxy on the inner splined area.

b) Use JB Weld in the same manner as above. I prefer epoxy.

c) Weld the plug in place for a permanent fix.

d) Send the yoke to us to perform letter a. We will cover shipping both ways.

3. Advise Ben of the leak so we can get a new unit out to you if yours is not repairable when they are available. ben.dehaven@keislerauto.com

4. Drive your car and enjoy!

I know this is a real pain during driving season and your patience is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Keislers fault or not??? I still cant drive!!!