C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secretaudio stereo for 69 Vette - any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:31 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Secretaudio stereo for 69 Vette - any thoughts?

I am looking to put some tunes in my car in case I ever want to listen to the stones or something and take a break from those sweet sounding side pipes. Was curious if anyone has any experience with the SST-3 secretaudio system and also thoughts anyone has on speakers. I want to keep my original radio in but not used or at most would consider replacing it with something that doesn't require any cutting of the bezel or anything.

http://www.corvettepartscatalog.com/...oducts_id=1448

These look like a pretty cool rear speaker system just not sure how well they will sound with the convertible top folded down. Anyone ever hear these before?
http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-chal...1963-1982.html

So glad I found this site. Truly appreciate everyones support of eachother.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:00 PM
shrekviper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM sent...
Old 06-08-2011, 08:44 AM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like a cool setup. I just put a kenwood in mine, a pair of pioneer 6x9's. The front are the small 3x5? I think but they only line up for two bolts and its tough to get dash pads in. Also a sony Xplode amp behind pass dash. I had to cut corner off amp to get it behind there. A friend just gave me a couple subs, not sure if I am going to put them in? System sounds good to me its in a vert, I had to boost power to back speakers to here better while top is down.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:45 AM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by Timsride
That looks like a cool setup. I just put a kenwood in mine, a pair of pioneer 6x9's. The front are the small 3x5? I think but they only line up for two bolts and its tough to get dash pads in. Also a sony Xplode amp behind pass dash. I had to cut corner off amp to get it behind there. A friend just gave me a couple subs, not sure if I am going to put them in? System sounds good to me its in a vert, I had to boost power to back speakers to here better while top is down.
Thanks. Where did you put the 6x9s?
Old 06-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 69VetteFla
Thanks. Where did you put the 6x9s?
Forget where he put the 6x9's...where did you say you put the Amp?? Behind the Dashboard???
Old 06-08-2011, 04:27 PM
my72vette454
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something you might consider doing is installing speakers and a 4 channel amp and plugging an ipod in directly to the amp via the headphone jack. I dont have room in the stock location for a radio anymore and after thinking about it for a bit I decided to try it and it works pretty good actually. I have a pair of 6x9's in the back and kick panel speakers along with the dash speakers, (all aftermarket) then I bought a hundred dollar sony amp from walleyworld and wired the front four speakers to the front channel and the 6x9's to the rear channel. I got a cord for my pod that plugs into the headphone jack and has rca jacks on the other end. Then I got a pair of splitter rca cables so I had 4 cables to plug into the amp. I used the gain controls to adjust the sound front to rear where I want it then just use the ipod to control the volume. I have an lg flip phone with a bunch of music on it so the other day I bought a headphone adapter at radio shack to go from the phone to the ipod jack and it works good too. I need to try my little xm radio next but I am sure it will work as well. I decided that with all the options out there anymore there is no reason to even have a head unit anymore, heck plug your smart phone into it and stream pandora or other audio programs. Just leave your stock radio there and nobody will bother stealing it. The sound probably isnt quite as nice as what a good head unit will put out but it has more than enough volume to hear it over the sidepipes when I am cruising down the road 75 with the tops off and the windows down.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:34 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by my72vette454
Something you might consider doing is installing speakers and a 4 channel amp and plugging an ipod in directly to the amp via the headphone jack. I dont have room in the stock location for a radio anymore and after thinking about it for a bit I decided to try it and it works pretty good actually. I have a pair of 6x9's in the back and kick panel speakers along with the dash speakers, (all aftermarket) then I bought a hundred dollar sony amp from walleyworld and wired the front four speakers to the front channel and the 6x9's to the rear channel. I got a cord for my pod that plugs into the headphone jack and has rca jacks on the other end. Then I got a pair of splitter rca cables so I had 4 cables to plug into the amp. I used the gain controls to adjust the sound front to rear where I want it then just use the ipod to control the volume. I have an lg flip phone with a bunch of music on it so the other day I bought a headphone adapter at radio shack to go from the phone to the ipod jack and it works good too. I need to try my little xm radio next but I am sure it will work as well. I decided that with all the options out there anymore there is no reason to even have a head unit anymore, heck plug your smart phone into it and stream pandora or other audio programs. Just leave your stock radio there and nobody will bother stealing it. The sound probably isnt quite as nice as what a good head unit will put out but it has more than enough volume to hear it over the sidepipes when I am cruising down the road 75 with the tops off and the windows down.
That is a great idea! I'm not going to listen to the radio or want a cassete player or cd player anyway and will only use an Ipod for music anyway. I think that is the way to go. I am wondering where to put the amp - I can probably find a small size one that would fit in the middle box behind the seat but not sure I wan't to use up any of that precious little space. Thinking about making a box and mounting the amp and a couple of 6x9s and putting tucking it all the way back behind where the convertible folds. Where did you put your amp?
Old 06-08-2011, 04:40 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

i installed a secretaudio set up in my 71 el camino years ago (2002) and my personal opinion is that it was just a fair setup. i used it because i could hide it and leave the OEM radio in the dash for the original look. in my opinion there are many other manufacturers out there with better products at comparable prices, but that's just my opinion.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:48 AM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Don't use the Eckler's sound bar. I bought it & ditched it. There's no base whatsoever so you can just as well use 4 speakers.Look for a amp/sub combination. It's small has a good bass and easy to connect. I know I've posted it before, but I swear by it now. Less complicated then seperate amp. Do have to mention that I have replacement dash speakers & added kickpanel speakers (Kenwood).
Nick
Old 07-15-2011, 06:56 PM
C2FANATIC
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default secret audio

i bought my dad a secret audio for his 32 ford and he loves it

Get notified of new replies

To Secretaudio stereo for 69 Vette - any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Secretaudio stereo for 69 Vette - any thoughts?