Sponsored by:

So this is what it's like driving a C3

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:28 PM
THefley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ptroxx
Slow down little buck-a-roo........I guess you get to find your new fiberglass guy sooner than later....

Sorry man... I got my car out of the paint shop on april 2nd, april 9 a woman hit me...its going back to the show nxt week...so i feel ya..
WOW that JUST SUCKS!,

Originally Posted by 81pilot
Ah an 81...Great choice! I got my 81 because it was the year I graduated from High School! I had a '79 Trans Am in High School, but always wanted a Vette. I can't stand walkin past her and not getting in, unless I am riding my motorcycle. But I would still rather drive the car!!! Hard to explain to someone who does not have one!
Same here, Got an 81, thought I graduated in 84, drove an 76 trans am but always wanted a vette.

after 2 blood sucking leaches (ex wives) I married a self employed assistant surgeon that makes most of the money in this house hold. Just sold my Harley that I never found the time to ride (and had many friends lately get killed on their bikes) so I used that excuse to buy the car I always wanted. I could have gotten a new one but why when a C3 is so much better looking than all the rest
Old 06-08-2011, 05:35 PM
forcerecon38
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are right !!!! the 80 to 82 is the sexxxyest vette ever made !!! but they do ride like a truck till you do alot of mods to your suspension ! but hey its a classic my 81 sits n her garage next to my 74 911 and gt by my cbr 1000f race bike !!!happy vetteing !!!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:41 PM
garage-ghost
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by larryg3
I can only tell you one thing it never gets old I really enjoy taking my toy out for a ride. I always like the comments and the thumbs up. so congrats and enjoy. The most difficult part is to wipe the grin off your face when you get out of the car.

And I've had mine for 28 years.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:42 PM
robertkinder
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stoge
Yeah, that is part of what its like driving a C3.

Here's some of the other parts:

"What just fell off?"

"Brake fluid, ATF, coolant, oil, power steering, & diff fluid: the 6 things most often
found on the garage floor under my car."

"Air conditioner is ice cold, but it's still 400°F in here."

"What's this lever on the center console? Its clearly not a parking brake."

"Yeah, you can't get that part anymore, so I just tied the old one up there with some duct tape and an old shoestring."

"My engine has a stamp with a signature on it. Who is Bubba anyway?"

"No don't open that! The door to the glove compartment won't close if you open it. That's not really a glove box anyway -- its an 8-track tape storage rack."

"My steering wheel is about 20° tilted to the left, but the back of the car tracks to the right. Its like driving a slinky."

Oh, well, you get the point... if not yet, you will someday.

Good luck and enjoy the insanity.

That would be sooooo damn funny IF it was not soooooo damn true!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:49 PM
marcuscarlos
Advanced

Default C-3

Originally Posted by Dose11
I have always wanted one of these cars...and as some of you all know I picked her up on sunday...well I have always thought that these were some of the best looking cars made...and I don't see too many(actually saw someone with a 2 toned Blue and Gray one today at a traffic light on Cobb Parkway let me know if you are here!) so I never thought ppl cared about them....BOY WAS I WRONG...On the way back from Tennessee I was stopped at the rest stop...a Guy just stood there in front of my for 5 minutes and kept saying she was beautiful...and I only had her for 45 minutes! Yesterday was my first day out driving...and me and the wife cruised around town with the tops off. I have received thumbs ups, waves, ppl saying G*d D*mn while driving by, 2 Guys in the parking lot coming from dinner asked me how much I wanted for it...went to a little lounge the Bouncer was like...You Got you something there young man...thats nice...

And its not the ppl that make me feel like wow! It is the car in general sitting in it is the coolest thing I have ever experienced...the Curves of these Cars are to die for...I feel like I am in a whole different world when driving and when I open my garage door or walk outside I just say wow! I just came back from buyavette to set up a inspection and walked their showroom it was like heaven...and I own a little piece I took some pics I will post of the dealership. But I am glad to be apart of the C3 family...one of my best decisions yet!
WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME!!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Spacecoast
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stoge
Yeah, that is part of what its like driving a C3.

Here's some of the other parts:

"What just fell off?"

"Brake fluid, ATF, coolant, oil, power steering, & diff fluid: the 6 things most often
found on the garage floor under my car."

"Air conditioner is ice cold, but it's still 400°F in here."

"What's this lever on the center console? Its clearly not a parking brake."

"Yeah, you can't get that part anymore, so I just tied the old one up there with some duct tape and an old shoestring."

"My engine has a stamp with a signature on it. Who is Bubba anyway?"

"No don't open that! The door to the glove compartment won't close if you open it. That's not really a glove box anyway -- its an 8-track tape storage rack."

"My steering wheel is about 20° tilted to the left, but the back of the car tracks to the right. Its like driving a slinky."

Oh, well, you get the point... if not yet, you will someday.

Good luck and enjoy the insanity.

Damn that is such the truth. When I got my 72 a few months back someone said that you will absolutely LOVE the car sometimes and the other will want to throw rocks at it And crazy enough, I have come to find they were so right. It is a sickness worse than Ebola and I seriously don't think there is a cure
Old 06-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Spacecoast
Drifting

Oh.. And welcome the the insanity club
Old 06-08-2011, 09:18 PM
BARRY L-48
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the sickness that is called C-3 ownership,but beware,there is no cure for this addiction,but then again,who would want one!
Old 06-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Alex/plus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by THefley
WOW that JUST SUCKS!,

Same here, Got an 81, thought I graduated in 84, drove an 76 trans am but always wanted a vette.

after 2 blood sucking leaches (ex wives) I married a self employed assistant surgeon that makes most of the money in this house hold. Just sold my Harley that I never found the time to ride (and had many friends lately get killed on their bikes) so I used that excuse to buy the car I always wanted. I could have gotten a new one but why when a C3 is so much better looking than all the rest
And , you just bought another blood sucking leach.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:13 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasYankee
People who own newer Vettes get excited about the latest mod they installed. Us C3 owners get excited if the damn thing just starts!

I've owned mine now going on 6 years. I still get pumped up when I get behind the wheel for a spin out in the country topless with momma.

Congratulations on the nice looking Vette. I'm sure you'll love yours through better or worse just like the rest of us.
I live close to Texas the next time you and momma go ridin topless let me know where!! (Not that I care about you)
Old 06-08-2011, 10:36 PM
fadingrockstar
Racer

There is something special about a C3, I've had mine now for four years. It's an 82 in white. Just the other day I was getting gas and someone came up to meto ask about the car. That never gets old. I did get blown off the line by a "new" GTO, my son was with me and we both laughed, the GTO was faster but it was UGLY! C3's are the best period!
Old 06-08-2011, 10:44 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,149 Likes on 737 Posts

welcome to the c3 club, a vast array of cars and options. easy to work on and easy to enjoy. I have a 1972 stock low mile car. Basic maintenance and the car will run forever. P.S. sound and heat mat under the carpet makes the A/C much better in the summer. I usually take out the rear window, lower the side windows and enjoy. I have a C4 and newer but the 1972 is my first choice. As my other half says: she (the 72) has one purpose in life - look pretty and cruse ... and she does it well.

enjoy the C3...
Old 06-09-2011, 04:17 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Take two asprins, And Get Out And DRIVE!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:05 PM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 135 Posts

Welcome to the madness...er, club! I drive an '82 because I graduated in 1982. She's slow and suffers from all of the C3 downfalls but man does she take me back in time to the good ole days! Enjoy!

Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 AM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is a gorgeous striping on the hood on the light blue '82 in case no one else says it. Hand done or a decal?

Lance
Old 06-10-2011, 11:51 AM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LancePearson
That is a gorgeous striping on the hood on the light blue '82 in case no one else says it. Hand done or a decal?

Lance
More than likely its a decal. It is identical to the decals used on all the other 2 tones.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PKguitar
Yeah, kinda like how a shooting gallery can be viewed as a support group for heroin addicts.
I need a fix NOW, man...

Originally Posted by 81pilot
Ah an 81...Great choice! I got my 81 because it was the year I graduated from High School! ...

But I would still rather drive the car!!! Hard to explain to someone who does not have one!
Same reason for mine. My personal time machine and all the cool memories.

Originally Posted by TexasYankee
People who own newer Vettes get excited about the latest mod they installed. Us C3 owners get excited if the damn thing just starts!

Congratulations on the nice looking Vette. I'm sure you'll love yours through better or worse just like the rest of us.
Originally Posted by marcuscarlos
WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME!!!!
Originally Posted by Spacecoast
Oh.. And welcome the the insanity club
Hi Dose and yes, welcome. Great friends here to enjoy the ups and downs of C3 ownership.

Now, how about getting those pictures of yours posted so we can get a better look? You'll soon learn, we are very visual here (obviously: topless women or cars are a big draw).

Last edited by Dustup7T2; 06-10-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: add text

Get notified of new replies

To So this is what it's like driving a C3

Old 06-12-2011, 10:19 AM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by LancePearson

Lance
Thanks - it is a factory decal. The two-tone paint scheme was available in 1981 and 1982 in several color combos...this is Silver Blue over Dark Blue avail only in 1982. Below is a close up of the decal colors and paint. Proud to say that this is factory original paint and stripes.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:26 AM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is good looking. I really like the hood striping on the raised centerline of the hood. Best I've seen but it's all artistic choices.

Mine is red so I'm not sure what I'd do if I could find one but probably a much darker color like a black or something like that.

I may go back to looking again after seeing yours.

Thanks for sharing. Nice Vettes....who, by the way, just won as the factory racing team the Le man's GT Pro class again for the 7th time and won the GT Am (must be one year old technology) as well.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustup7T2
I need a fix NOW, man...

Same reason for mine. My personal time machine and all the cool memories.

Hi Dose and yes, welcome. Great friends here to enjoy the ups and downs of C3 ownership.

Now, how about getting those pictures of yours posted so we can get a better look? You'll soon learn, we are very visual here (obviously: topless women or cars are a big draw).
Pictures will be coming soon

Quick Reply: So this is what it's like driving a C3