Sponsored by:

strut rod bushings

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 AM
steveprokop
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strut rod bushings

I am replacing the strut rod bushings in my 78 corvette. When I replaced them I noticed that the inner sleeves were about 1/4 inch larger than the dia. of the cam bolts. It appearred that the original bushing sleeves were the same I.D. as the new ones. I would not think that ther should be any play in these bushings. I am pretty sure that I ordered the correct bushings. A little frustrated. Any advice?
SteveP
Old 05-28-2011, 10:13 AM
BTGRN75
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by steveprokop
I am replacing the strut rod bushings in my 78 corvette. When I replaced them I noticed that the inner sleeves were about 1/4 inch larger than the dia. of the cam bolts. It appearred that the original bushing sleeves were the same I.D. as the new ones. I would not think that ther should be any play in these bushings. I am pretty sure that I ordered the correct bushings. A little frustrated. Any advice?
SteveP
Waiting for answer. I noticed the same on mine and am wondering too.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Vette Rookie
Instructor

Not completely up to speed on this, but there should be washers on that end that have smaller holes thru them to act like a reducer.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:51 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

i just did this job on my 76' and the poly replacement bushings were a snug fit with no play anywhere.i bought them from a local vender.(no name to the place).i was also advised by the owner to use the original bushing caps insted of the thicker ones supplied in the kit.worked out great.good luck.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Rally68
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Strut rod bushing ID is 5/8", same as the shock mount; the cam bolt is 1/2". The Cam bolt side is assembled with 2 lip washers that make up the difference, sometimes called a strut rod bushing washer or bushing cap. If you lost yours all of the vendors sell them.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:59 AM
steveprokop
Heel & Toe

Default Bushings

Thanks for the feedback.
When I took out the original bushings there were no lip washers. I put new poly bushings in without them. Darn it, I have to start over. I installed new side yokes in the differential,all new bushings, u-joints and cushions, and had the springs re-arced. It was not a-lot of fun trying to get those stut rods back in place. Hopefully It will be easier this time..
Steve
Old 06-12-2011, 06:26 AM
steveprokop
Heel & Toe

Default adjustable strut rods for 78 vette

The adjustable strut rods a a great value. I replaced them because the original rods were so hard to install and adjust. They were very resonable easy to adjust and quality built. The original bushing and washers are expensive. The cam bolts used to adjust the toe in/toe out are limited in the amount you can adjust. I highly recommend these as an altenative, unless you are trying to keep your car original.
Steve

Get notified of new replies

To strut rod bushings

Quick Reply: strut rod bushings