C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternatives to bubbas alternator mount?

Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 AM
azza2u
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Alternatives to bubbas alternator mount?

Hi all,

The more I look, the more I'm finding of bubba's handywork on my car. The car is an early 68 vert with a NOM '68 327 with '77 heads under the hood. I started checking over Easter into why the alternator was moving a lot with the vibration of the engine. Turns out part of the alternator mounting had broken. Problem is it was a mount installed by Bubba and not GM.

At some stage the 68 exhaust manifold has been replaced with a similarly aged manifold, but was missing the 68's mounting boss for the alternator bracket. No problem, as someone quickly welded up a T bracket to mount between the stock bracket and a single manifold mounting bolt (circled in the pic below)

I've done some searching on these forums and found some options. I can't mount it on passenger side because of a/c and can't mount it low because of the p/s. However as my heads have the accessory holes in them I believe I could use either a mid 70's alternator mount (my preference for a stock look http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-alte...l?dept_id=1196), or an aftermarket mount from the likes of Summit (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SU...1/?image=large). My questions for you guys are these:

1. will these just bolt on and leave the alternator in a similar position to align the belt the same as it is now or will I need to work some form of spacer to align things
2. would using the 70's lower mount attached to the heads mean I could reuse the top adjusting bracket or would there be issues with it raising things and affecting clearance of the radiator pipe?

As shipping parts to Australia is a pain, I'd rather figure these things out here before I put in any orders.

Cheers,
Azza
Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the mounts that bolt to the head and the hockey stick adjuster piece, check my ads NOS
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-p...ieces-nos.html
Old 04-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

A. You need a 68 LH stock exhaust manifold which will have the necessary bolt hole for the alternator mount correct for 68.

B. The 69 and up alternator bracket should mount to your 77 heads.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I bought a later model bracket (mounts to the front of the head) for Liz's 68. It bolted up to the Brodix head just fine, but since it has tall valve covers installed there was almost no room for the alternator to swing for tightening. I ended up just using another (the one that was on it was bent) header mount adapter.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:39 PM
azza2u
Racer

I've seen that there are iron (1st design) and aluminum (2nd design) mid 70's brackets listed on the various vendor sites. Are these pretty much interchangable?
Old 05-01-2011, 07:41 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by azza2u
I've seen that there are iron (1st design) and aluminum (2nd design) mid 70's brackets listed on the various vendor sites. Are these pretty much interchangable?
Yes, but the aluminum from GM is more pricier than the cast one
Old 05-01-2011, 06:32 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 878 Likes on 763 Posts

Default get cast iron alt bracket number 3951337

Look for this casting numer: 3951337

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have holes in the front of your head. I got one for 5 bucks at the junkyard. If you have a junkyard, look for an early 70's GM pickup with a short waterpump.

You can find them on ebay too. Probably one of the best 5 bucks I ever spent....I used to have one of those terrible header brackets that just didn't work very well.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:57 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Summit SME-2001

Azza,

I recently purchased the above part from Summit. It arrived less than one week later and looks the duck's guts. Air freight was pricey, but it was here next week. This should fit your car, and it looks good too.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Old 06-18-2011, 02:07 AM
azza2u
Racer

Unfortunately as I have power steering I have found that the nice chrome mount from Summit won't clear the top of it. Looks like it will have to be the mid 70's GM mount after all.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternatives to bubbas alternator mount?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternatives to bubbas alternator mount?