Sponsored by:

1970 Convertable in Iowa

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:06 PM
surf2sky
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1970 Convertable in Iowa

Being new to the forum and the corvette world, I've been interested in a C3 and wanted to know if anyone was around the Iowa area and could take a look at this vehicle.

http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/...tte-40170.html

I haven't got too much information on it just that since 1996, it has been garaged, tuned, and taken care of.

also open to suggestions if there is a car I'm interested in and not around to go visit it?

Thank you
Don
Old 04-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Lemans Blue 69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Much too high of a price. Probably has the base engine and the shifter has been changed and who knows what else. Your are doing the right thing by asking someone local to see it for you. Google some Corvette Clubs in the area and maybe you can find someone to look at it for you.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:49 PM
riski
Advanced

If the car has 44,000 original miles why are you telling him the price is too high? How many 1970 corvette convertibles have that kind of mileage.

In my opinion, it may be a fair asking price. But, you need to see the car in person and check it out with someone who has some knowledge. Additional pictures would also help people on the forum help you.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Don
When they don't show pictures of the engine compartment or the underbody...it is for a reason. When they say the engine is a 350, it is almost always the base motor...otherwise they would proudly say that it is a 350ci/350hp. When they don't say original drivetrain, it probably isn't. The lack of information says it all. No mention of documentation, original paint color, restoration, nothing other than mileage and maintenance receipts for the last 21 years. Nice looking car though. Resale red convertibles are inherently something to be leery of. If it is all original...everything is 41 years old. Keep that thought in mind. It isn't so much what you pay for the car, and whether or not that is either a bargain or a fair price, but what you end up spending on the car to restore it and keep it running for years to come.

Last edited by Faster Rat; 04-19-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:57 PM
petdoc
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 205 Posts

May be worth it, Don. that "OBO" can be pretty broad sometimes. You do really need to get someone knowledgable to check it out. Can you get the code #'s and post them for us, as well as an equipment/option list?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

Can't tell much from the pictures given. The driver side door panel looks a bit funky toward the rear of the door, gap looks odd. Shifter looks aftermarket as another poster pointed out. Wonder what the owner did to the egg crates, looks like the paint was stripped? None of this is a big deal.

More important things to look at are the engine compartment, how clean, how original. Original engine or replacement? A close inspection of the windshield frame and key points on the frame, look for rust. Not nearly enough info here to judge it's value.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:46 PM
surf2sky
5th Gear

Default Thanks guys

Thank you all for helping me out. It's nice to have this.

I'm in the air force and getting re-assigned to las vegas Nevada. I'd love to get a car that I can depend on when the weather is good. Seeing that this is my first time getting an older car, i value all your opinions

I'll conitnue to keep you updated

Last edited by surf2sky; 04-19-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:19 PM
surf2sky
5th Gear

http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/...tte-40292.html

Should I consider paying more upfront like this one? Plus this one has A/C

I see alot of vettes from this place in Pennsylvania. Is it a decent place

Last edited by surf2sky; 04-19-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:59 PM
seacliffe301
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Allow me to throw out a thought to consider on an A/C car...
When equipped with A/C, you lose your fresh air ventilation at the floor.
This breeze dissipates a lot of heat when moving.

Personally, I would only use A/C, when the top is up & is raining.
As a ragtop owner with no A/C, I can tell you I do not miss having it.
I would miss those floor vents.

On the '70, do have someone qualified do a thorough inspection. Well worth the money & peace of mind. Upper 20's for a "good" '70 doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Regarding the base motor in a '70, wasn't that a 350/350?

Last edited by seacliffe301; 04-21-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:57 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by seacliffe301
Allow me to throw out a thought to consider on an A/C car...
When equipped with A/C, you lose your fresh air ventilation at the floor.
This breeze dissipates a lot of heat when moving.

Personally, I would only use A/C, when the top is up & is raining.
As a ragtop owner with no A/C, I can tell you I do not miss having it.
I would miss those floor vents.

On the '70, do have someone qualified do a thorough inspection. Well worth the money & peace of mind. Upper 20's for a "good" '70 doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Regarding the base motor in a '70, wasn't that a 350/350?
Base motor was 300hp. L-46 350 hp.
Looks nice but, you need someone to look it over with you very carefully . Someone who knows where to look for the numbers and se if they match. Frame rust can be a major issue with Vettes. Nothing wrong with the Hurst shifter that replaced the original sloppy shifter.
Being this is your first Vette, Ii hope you are mechanically inclined. Otherwise it gets expensive to have a shop doing the work.
As stated, it's 41 years old, so expect to replace parts. There's a ton of parts suppliers, so most correct parts are available.
Good luck and take your time.
Glenn
Old 04-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Where are you located right now? your info says Newport Beach, CA. If you can't find a local Vette you aren't looking very hard. I would at least wait until your located in Vegas, join a local car club. look around on Craigslist going as far as San Francisco, Phoenix, and San Diego areas (plus all inbetween.) Why go to the Mid West rust belt to look for an old car when your in Mecca as far as vintage cars are concerned. Attend some car club functions in your area, make some contacts and buy the right Vette.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by riski
...why are you telling him the price is too high?...
I also think the asking price is on the high side, possibly because a dealer has it.

Surf2sky: Wait until you're settled in Nevada, then shop for a local car.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 PM
shrekviper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bodhi,
LT1 has the right idea. Patience is the key.
Shrek
Old 04-23-2011, 03:30 PM
surf2sky
5th Gear

LT1,
Flying in Iraq right now. I'll be in CA in a couple weeks (or when I can escape this deployment). I will for sure look in S. Cal. In Costa Mesa, right next to my home, is The Corvette Lady. I'll take a look at their vehicles and see if I'm truly interested in this.

I was looking at one reply from GD70. I don't know too much about about cars (almost nothing) but I figure I could learn a bit from having an older car that needs "self work". Is it difficult to learn the basic's with these vehicles (oil change, preventive mx, etc..)

Cheers
Don
Old 04-24-2011, 11:24 AM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
Don
When they don't show pictures of the engine compartment or the underbody...it is for a reason. When they say the engine is a 350, it is almost always the base motor...otherwise they would proudly say that it is a 350ci/350hp. When they don't say original drivetrain, it probably isn't. The lack of information says it all. No mention of documentation, original paint color, restoration, nothing other than mileage and maintenance receipts for the last 21 years. Nice looking car though. Resale red convertibles are inherently something to be leery of. If it is all original...everything is 41 years old. Keep that thought in mind. It isn't so much what you pay for the car, and whether or not that is either a bargain or a fair price, but what you end up spending on the car to restore it and keep it running for years to come.
Faster Rat Nailed it! For what there asking the interior looks rough.

Get notified of new replies

To 1970 Convertable in Iowa

Quick Reply: 1970 Convertable in Iowa