C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at this '72, whats a fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:01 AM
KevinG
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking at this '72, whats a fair price?

Hey everyone, looking for my first corvette and the '68-'72s are my favorite years. I stumbled across this '72 and I'm digging what alls been done to it, but have no clue what a fair price for this car would be. Can anyone give me some pointers in what the value would be?

specs:
Frame Off restoration done in 9/1989, 32k put on car since
Frame On restoration about 8 years ago
New Paint 6 years ago
406 cu. Inch ending with 440 HP
Fully Ported Iron Heads
4 Port Mains
Steel Hydraulic flat tapped Cam
Headers / Allen Stainless Side Exhaust
5 Speed manual transmission
T-Tops with removable rear window (the last year they did this)
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Blaupunkt AM/FM/CD Radio
Seatbelts
Black Leather Seats
4 wheel disc brakes
17" wheels
*light surface rust on frame from being stored in northern climates*

Close up of the '69 vents:

Tail light lenses are not stock - easy to swap to oem?

Undercarriage shots - was told light surface rust on some of the areas from Northern salt content in the air:

Last edited by KevinG; 03-28-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:31 AM
dgr72vette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wonder why it has '69 front fenders?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

What's the seller asking? The modifications can be expected to impact the value of this car. I would not be surprised if the seller attempts to recover some of the restore/rebuild costs in his/her asking price.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:37 AM
KevinG
Burning Brakes

I believe the seller is asking $27k. It has a log book of the $60k thats been invested throughout the years with the previous owner who's had the car 19 years now.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

I would not be interested in this car at $27K, but I'm not buying. The question is do you want this Corvette at $27K?

Last edited by Easy Mike; 03-28-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:06 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Hate to say it but what an owner has invested is irrelevant when setting a market price. When you get into the world of customized cars much depends on the tastes of buyers in the market at the time.

$27K puts you into the range of well restored originals which are quite often the top dollar cars. Possible if it's exactly what some buyer is looking for..
Old 03-28-2011, 10:17 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
Hate to say it but what an owner has invested is irrelevant when setting a market price. When you get into the world of customized cars much depends on the tastes of buyers in the market at the time.

$27K puts you into the range of well restored originals which are quite often the top dollar cars. Possible if it's exactly what some buyer is looking for..
Well said....

I just happen to like the looks of this car...

BUT with 69 front fenders, side pipes etc I would Not be interested in buying it at all.... UNLESS the price was very very good .. and 27K is NOT even close to being ...Good. !!!!!

Still a nice car...... but not for me...

Bob G.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:45 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Hard to tell from the pictures what kind of quality the car is. If it is all nicely done I can see $20K-$25K.

@garage-ghost: Let me know where you find nice 68-72 resto-mods for $12K. I'll buy two of 'em.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:47 AM
briaineo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-28-2011, 10:56 AM
hammadown
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dgr72vette
Wonder why it has '69 front fenders?
look closer.... 72 panels modded to look like 69 gills.

Hammadown
Old 03-28-2011, 11:08 AM
briaineo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hammadown
look closer.... 72 panels modded to look like 69 gills.

Hammadown
good eye!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:11 AM
KevinG
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the input guys.

Lets say I could pick up the car for $24k and the car was solid/quality restored. Would that be a decent deal? Personally I am not looking for a trailer queen/bloomington gold 'vette. Just something in great shape that I won't be afraid of driving.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by KevinG
...Lets say I could pick up the car for $24k and the car was solid/quality restored. Would that be a decent deal?...
That would be entirely up to you.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinG
Thanks for all the input guys.

Lets say I could pick up the car for $24k and the car was solid/quality restored. Would that be a decent deal? Personally I am not looking for a trailer queen/bloomington gold 'vette. Just something in great shape that I won't be afraid of driving.
Nice looking car and probably quite fast. I'm not much of a value expert on any car but my own, let alone a modified car.

Think about this. You said $60k invested less $24k (?) return equals $36k spent over 19 years. Not bad for any old vette, modified or not. As the next caretaker, are you willing to spend $2k per year trying to keep a 39 year old car on the road? Just want you to be aware of what you are getting into with your first vette. None of these cars will just keep going without dumping more money into them.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:21 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's certainly a nice car, and that engine detailing is superb. However as other have said, you are buying his modifications to the car. That 73 long hood also doesn't belong on there, you can see he's removed the wiper actuator and cover. Not that that's a bad thing as a lot of those were removed because they stopped working, just as long as you understand "all" of the modifications done to the car and how it might affect the later sell price if you sell it.

That said, if you love this car and have got the money, I'd take it as it looks like a well take care of car, especially if he really invested 60k in it.

Myself I'd say the 27k is a bit too high but also think the 15k is too low. I think it comes down to how original do you want your car to be?

I wonder where he got that 406 decal from.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:27 PM
1969RAY
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 112 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'm always surprised at how we, corvette owners, talk down the price of these cars.
Sure, those of you who have numbers matching, NCRS, ready cars and interest, I understand, your intrest is auction value.
But most of us have bought something less than that, spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to make our car dependable and our own.
That commitment is not for everybody. Some want to buy and drive.
If KevinG buys this car and drives it right from the get-go, he's time and money ahead.
We all for the most part, have more money in our cars than they're worth and that includes NCRS owners too.
This is a hobby not a money making investment, certainly for most, not a good money making investment.
My point is that for some, this is a great deal and a far more economical way of owning a classic corvette
than being the guy that puts 32K into his project, is so sick of working on it and spending all his extra cash, that he sells it for a loss.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:32 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 1969RAY
I'm always surprised at how we, corvette owners, talk down the price of these cars.
Sure, those of you who have numbers matching, NCRS, ready cars and interest, I understand, your intrest is auction value.
But most of us have bought something less than that, spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to make our car dependable and our own.
If KevinG buys this car and drives it right from the get-go, he's time and money ahead.
We all for the most part, have more money in our cars than they're worth and that includes NCRS owners too.
This is a hobby not a money making investment, certainly for most, not a good money making investment.
My point is that for some, this is a great deal and a far more economical way of owning a classic corvette
than being the guy that puts 32K into his project, is so sick of working on it and spending all his extra cash, that he sells it for a loss.
Amen brother, nicely said

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at this '72, whats a fair price?

Old 03-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Big Don
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an owner who has paid much more for a mostly correct car, and then spent a lot more money and time for NCRS correctness, I can appreciate the value of this car. It looks great and presumeably has great power. If all the mechanicals are sound, I'd say the enjoyment you will get out of it make it worth the money.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:34 PM
KevinG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1969RAY
Thanks for this insight

I work on newer cars, but don't know much about the classics & the non-ECU engines. This car seems like its ready for its new owner and the only known mechanical issue is the parking brake isn't working. Even though it isn't a matching #s car, the car looks like it was rebuilt with quality in mind. A few custom touches doesn't scare me off. I'll give the guy a call tonight and discuss the details about this car.

If things go right, then the car will be headed my way via an auto transport company since its 1,000+ miles away from me.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:44 PM
1969RAY
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 112 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That said, for that amount of cash, I would want to see the car myself to varify the details.
That's worth a trip to where ever the car is.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Looking at this '72, whats a fair price?