Sponsored by:

Mark's Georgia 77 Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 05:41 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Mark's Georgia 77 Project

Last fall at a Saturday Night Hardy's car display I was sitting there with my 76 in front of me, hood up, etc. and talking with people when a guy named Mark, who is a cf member, walked up and started talking about them than said that he was passing through and liked the mid 70's because he had just bought a 77 car for $450 which was largely a semi sort of pile of parts and neglect and planned over the next two years or so to put it together as family, finances, etc. allowed. I believe Mark lives in Savannah and he has since seen me here and emailed me some photos of his car in it's early stages of restoring. Mark still has dial up so posting photos is a real chore from his computer.

Today, he sent me two more photos where the pile is clearly becoming a Corvette again with much to go but suggested if I wanted to I could set up a posting of the photos. Since watching one of these rise like a Phoenix Bird again seems always to be fun....here goes.

This is Mark's $450 Corvette rising from the ashes. Please note, he does not have the advantages of a four car garage, fancy hydraulic side lifts, unlimited budgets but he is persevering and is slowly turning it into a car again. You can see the progress from these photos. If he sends me more as he goes, I'll pass them along here if you like seeing things like this. I believe the most recent photos are from late January. I'll predict there'll be a Georgia Gnat or two in it before it's done as they are everywhere in summer there! Congrats to Mark.

lance
Attached Images       
Old 04-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Jay-Dog
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say thank God for guys like Mark. Bring that honey back to life! Personally, one of my all-time favorite wheels. Going red?

Jay
Old 04-15-2011, 08:36 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going Maroon (burgundy), black interior. Last photo is from this afternoon... last weekend was gorgeous here and I stole Sunday afternoon to prime the hood, t-tops, gas door, headlight doors and the bumper covers. Thanks for the compliment, and I like the Vectors on this car too. And Thanks Lance for setting this up!
Old 04-16-2011, 05:11 AM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 698 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Mark, it's really starting to shape up! Looking good.
Looking forward to more pics.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:42 AM
LancePearson
Drifting

Mark,, how do you handle picking the hood up and down? do you have help when you do that or can you do it alone? Working by myself is awkward and I may use my son as an extra pair of hands if I have a two handed task.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:24 AM
richard emmanuel
Burning Brakes

Default Mark 77

Hey Mark, Richard here in Charlotte. I have a 77 also. You have your work cut out for you but trust me you will enjoy every bit of the sweat, late nite tasks with plenty of sweet chevy memories. Good luck in your rebuild.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:47 AM
T Rush
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if those are going for $450 a pop...I'll take a dozen

I think Markids77 is in good shape..tho that interior looks like you will have to use a bunch of cash on it...does it have a motor/trans?
Old 04-16-2011, 09:00 AM
LancePearson
Drifting

While getting your stuff on here, Mark, I went into the garage and picked something up and in the process opened my 76's drivers door...done that how many times including an 85 mile drive that morning to see friends? Noticed for the first time an oil change sticker about to fall off and picked it carefully off. It was 10w30 from a Firestone place in 1987 and showed that between 1987 and when I got the car it had been driven a total of: 15575 miles in the last 24 years. Mystery of why engine is in such good shape but some hoses and minor systems needed changing. At least I know it wasn't used hard for the last 2/3rds of its life. The replaced axle on the left side was probably done somewhere before 1987 and it finally weakened enough to let go. Driving it more now does show any weaknesses in systems versus p.o. whose wife drove it maybe once a week to work on good days on Fridays.

Lack of use I think can be as bad as hard use to some degree on components. Anyway, this is off the subject but I was thrilled to learn a little more about it even though it was so obvious and I'd missed seeing it many times in 6 months.

Lance

Lance
Old 04-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
Lance, thanks very much for posting Mark's pictures!
Mark, I really do enjoy seeing what people are working on and the progress they make.
I believe there are far more people doing VERY NICE work in a one car garage, (or LESS), without lift, and with a limited budget, than we might think.
For some lucky people there's as much pleasure in doing it as there is in getting it done.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-17-2011, 10:40 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Back in town and catching up. Thanks to all for the kind words and encouragement... it means a lot.

Lance... I tip the hood up on edge lengthwise and lift it from there. I would not try this if I was in finish paint though.

T Rush... It came with a TH350 core and the original block, but no other engine components. I picked up a rebuildable 1978 truck engine, but am currently leaning toward finding a used and ready to detail and install 350 combo... machine work in this area will cost nearly as much as a good running SBC, never mind internal parts cost.

Alan71... I have been fortunate to acquire a pretty comprehensive automotive skill set in my career and have always preferred "rolling my own" to "buying one done". The build is easily as enjoyable as the finished ride; there is seldom a long time between new projects here. I hope my finished project looks 1/3 as polished as your incredibly detailed car. Cheers to all of you, and stay tuned for more as I make some headway.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:35 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Default July 10 Update

Here's what Mark has to say and a photo of the motor going into his project. Note the hot working temps in savannah!

"For various reasons not much happened this spring; things just got in the way. Forum member mikejpss was kind enough to sell me this low miles 1980 L82 awhile back, and the following photo shows the result of my last two weekends endeavors to get it ready to drop in. There are all new gaskets and seals, fresh paint, an Edeblrock 2101 intake, NGK spark plugs and a new Pro Flow air cleaner. Not shown because I can't install them until I paint the new water pump are freshly rehabbed front bracketry, an alternator and rebuilt A/C compressor.

I am expecting the new A/C evaporator coil in this week which was (I think) the last item I needed to acquire so I can do all the "peripheral" mechanics in the engine compartment. Plans are afoot to barter for a TCI kitted turbo 350... add a fresh convertor, mounts and some u-joints and my powertrain will be complete! I am undecided if I should paint the car first and detail the engine compartment after, or the other way around????? Opinions and comments appreciated.

Cheers from Savannah where the daytime temperature has exceeded 90 degrees for 52 days straight and counting! Mark"

Posted for Mark by Lance
Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2011, 08:33 PM
PA14JIM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quite the transformation, looking good, wish I could trade you a few degrees F. Taking all the advice you all gave me weeks back, shot another coat of K36 and hopefully last block sand job before color. I need a friend like Lance for posting pic's. I really enjoy this site. Jim
Old 07-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

Looking good! What kind of bike is that behind the engine?
Old 07-10-2011, 10:15 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

PA14... I'll send you a care package of BTUs... there are a genuine surplus here of late. Mick71... that's a 1974 Triumph TR5T... the last of Britain's 500cc twin production. I spent 3 years carefully building that one to resemble the 1973 ISDT (think world Superbowl of offroad motorcycle racing) factory bikes. 1973 was also the only time that event has ever been held in the USA... in Dalton Massachusetts not 20 miles from where I grew up. I had, at the time a brand new TR5T and went to watch the world race "in my backyard". It was a fascinating experience! No paid admission, it rained cats and dogs most of the week, and you could walk right up to riders and team members and have conversation! I had to sell the 73 shortly thereafter, but wanted an "ISDT replica" since that day. Started with a bare frame, not even a swingarm and completed it nearly 3 years from date of first receipt. Unfortunately I blew up the first engine the second day I rode the completed restoration... racing of course. The motor is fresh to include a NOS crank and rods, but has never been fired up. I need to be ready in my mind to treat it properly next time.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:18 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Mark is a pretty good mechanic obviously with more than just this project under his belt. I am older in my 60's and when I first got the 76 Vette last fall, I really was a little intimidated about the heavy wrenching work.

However, when I've watched projects like these, studied the books, looked and worked on my car and learned what the pieces are and how the systems work more and more I realized that what has been slowly happening is my knowledge is growing. With the knowledge things that seemed impossible now don't seem so much so. More of a choice now on how to spend my energy than whether I understand it or would not be able to do it. You just slowly build a base of information about these cars and turn around one day and realize you are beginning to understand it mechanically in ways that make it not so intimidating. Some of the best examples for me have been the body off frame restorations (in part or more) where I can see the actual systems and relate them to what is on my car.

So, Mark's engine may or may not have the correct NCRS valve covers on it but in the end he's not only putting his project together he's teaching people like me in the process.

To Mark and all the others who think this is maybe just another mechanical/electrical/hydraulic project, I'd like to say thanks. It isn't why they do it I don't believe but it is a fringe benefit to others like me.

Besides, Mark and his wife are nice people having met them in person!

Lance Pearson
Old 07-10-2011, 10:36 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Finned alloy valve covers cost enough alone to provide all the parts needed to reseal, repaint and refresh the stuff needed to get this engine ready to run again in my car. This is a "no budget" build so if I get serviceable bits in any purchase they get rehabbed and used for now.

I wish to thank people like Lance, who met me briefly one night in person last year, and who has become a good friend even though we never speak one on one. I also wish to thank Allc3forme, mikejpss, sccavette,and everyone else here on the forum who shared parts, knowledge and encouragement so far! I hope I have been of at least some service to other folk here as we share this madness called Corvette ownership. Long may we run!
Old 07-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Sweet bike! I am a bike guy at heart. I was lucky enough to ride with some skunk stripe guys in '04 Rattlesnake Enduro. Well, for a little while anyway...... Wrong forum, but pics would be nice

Get notified of new replies

To Mark's Georgia 77 Project

Old 07-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

PM sent (I think)...
Old 07-12-2011, 08:40 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Stay tuned Mick. I have lost my archive pics of the bike, and my 10 year old digital took a dump Monday night while taking some auction listing pics. I've dug out the old 2.3 megapixel Sony but can't find the power cord for the rechargeables... !!*&$###!!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

No problem. Send me an email and I will send you some pics of my relics if you want. Cool of you to post pics of project.

Quick Reply: Mark's Georgia 77 Project