Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ebay buyers AUHGGGGG !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:40 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

OK, so what do you do when he returns the old ones that he replaced on his car, with the good ones that you sent him. He keeps the good ones, returns the old damaged ones, and claims this is what you sent him. He has the documentation that he contacted you and you misrepresented the items.

He wins.

kdf
Old 04-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, another angle to the scam. Good Point there.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by kdf1986
OK, so what do you do when he returns the old ones that he replaced on his car, with the good ones that you sent him. He keeps the good ones, returns the old damaged ones, and claims this is what you sent him. He has the documentation that he contacted you and you misrepresented the items.

He wins.

kdf
Not so, because it would be then obvious those are not the same. Take picture of the returned parts and mail them to Ebay along with the pic of the sent part. That's pretty much how Avalon Johns got his case resolved.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:16 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

i realize this is an after the fact type of response, but i have found that when selling "used" parts on ebay, i have resorted to marking them in some way on the back so i can easily identify that infact they are the parts i shipped out. there seem to be too many people out there trying to replace parts that are damaged off their cars and they pass them off as what was delivered to them. i take detailed pictures of all sides of the items and haven't lost a "disputed" sale yet on ebay when providing the proof that what the buyer is claiming as damaged isn't the stuff i originally sent off based on the "coded" identification markings i made. maybe i've been very lucky, but i've only had 1 issue selling used parts.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:15 PM
harveyhalabookie
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by srs244
i realize this is an after the fact type of response, but i have found that when selling "used" parts on ebay, i have resorted to marking them in some way on the back so i can easily identify that infact they are the parts i shipped out. there seem to be too many people out there trying to replace parts that are damaged off their cars and they pass them off as what was delivered to them. i take detailed pictures of all sides of the items and haven't lost a "disputed" sale yet on ebay when providing the proof that what the buyer is claiming as damaged isn't the stuff i originally sent off based on the "coded" identification markings i made. maybe i've been very lucky, but i've only had 1 issue selling used parts.
Very good advice, but unfortunately there are many scammers on ebay. I sold a brand name, unused holster for a gun that had the gun model branded on the side. The buyer claimed it did not fit his gun and ebay asked me to refund his money. I stuck to my guns and eventually they reimbursed the buyer. In my opinion ebay got taken for a fool. I also sold a snow thrower two years ago that was made for a specific tractor. I could not have been more specific on the model number and what tractor it was for. A guy came from out of state to pick it up, called me two days later and said it did not fit his tractor so he wanted a refund and reimbursement for his gas, tolls, and truck rental. I told him no way because I specified what tractor it was for. He then made claim that the machine was broken two days after that to Ebay. I provided statements to Ebay and after a month they finally ruled in my favor, but only because the item was local pickup. Of course the buyer gave me negative feedback and I look like I sold damaged goods. You just can't win!
Old 04-13-2011, 05:32 PM
mar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woah! I have 522 Good Feedbacks on Ebay but a long time ago, got screwed during a similar process/scammer.

OK - you should go thru the Ebay Resolution Center and CANCEL the auction thru Ebay. He sends the parts back and you refund him. There are no Feedbacks on Cancelled auctions. This is the only way to protect yourself. Do it right away.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:00 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by redvetracr
I would tell that lying thief to SEND THEM BACK...then and only then would I give him a refund.
He will probably send them back cracked in half.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:16 PM
JMS71VETTE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay

Originally Posted by Denpo
If buyer can't take a picture and/or return the good, them he can get lost, probably a scammer.
Hit him with a negative feedback, exposing his shody scheme, this will make him harder to keep on screwing people.
I don't think a seller has the option of leaving negative feedback anymore once a buyer pays and payment is accepted.Its to bad, but you could follow buyers activity and when he has something for sale....return the favor to him! Not very nice, but.....he sounds like a bad dream waiting to happen.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:33 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

I went back and read Avalon Johns thread on his dashpad. Its pretty interesting and how similar this is to his problem.

kdf
Old 04-13-2011, 09:19 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 263 Likes on 210 Posts

that thread ended up being an insurance claim..
Old 04-14-2011, 10:12 AM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Update, the buyer has put a case in with the resolution center. I have now given my side of the story, for what it is worth. From what I have been reading and hearing from others, as they say " I guess I am screwed."
I will let you know what happens.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:33 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do not negotiate with terrorists.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:48 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You definitely don't have to refund anything until they return the part, if that helps anything at all. My wife sells tons of things on ebay and has a problem every once in awhile. I tell her to chalk it up as the cost of doing business. She fights things like this all the way and some times she wins, sometimes she loses but she never lets them keep the item, just as a principle.

Maybe you'll get lucky and he can't return the bad ones because they are a different color or something and he'll just drop it. Either way one or 2 bad marks won't hurt you with all the positive feedback you should have.

Sucks that people ruin things for the rest of us.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:12 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Whether I get the parts back or not, if ebay sides with the buyer, they can apparently take the money out of my paypal account. Refund the buyer's full payment, and I may never see my parts again.
I wonder if maybe, because he is buying vette parts, if maybe he is a forum member???????
Old 04-14-2011, 08:39 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldsarge
Whether I get the parts back or not, if ebay sides with the buyer, they can apparently take the money out of my paypal account. Refund the buyer's full payment, and I may never see my parts again.
I wonder if maybe, because he is buying vette parts, if maybe he is a forum member???????
They can't actually take the money out. They can put a hold on your paypal and maybe even the ebay account until they get it back. In the long run if you want to keep that ebay account and do business then you would have to pay.

What my wife did on one similar situation where the buyer tried to say something was wrong with the item and filed a claim but did not want to ship the item back was that she called the local police in that jurisdiction and filed a theft report because they got their money back and held onto the product. The police actually called the person and spoke to them about the pending charge and they sent the item back.

Now that said if you are forced to pay and get items back that you could somehow prove weren't the items that you mailed out and were pictured in the ebay ad, it's no more than a phone call to give it a try to stop a scammer.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:15 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by PRNDL
I guess that is the one I was thinking of. The circumstances sounded so similar. Is this a new scam?
yup, that was me. sold a perfect dash to some dope in Canada. he broke it, cursed me out on the phone, lied and got his money back. i went through hell getting my money. in the end, he sent back the dash he destroyed, he got his money back minus all the shipping, paypal awarded me all my money back (i had to get a police report) and he left me my first negative feedback in something like 11 yrs. i went from 100% positive to 97.8%. i have had 20 or so positive transactions since then and the feedback has not inched up at all...still 97.8. Ebay blows, there customer reps and service stinks. they WILL hold your money but he has to send them back in the same condition shipped. that is where the fun begins. keep all your photos. photograph it immediately upon receipt of the parts back (have a witness, i used the mailman). ebay now has the right to view messages from and to you about the sale so be careful what you say. they are going to make you get a police report.

my suggestion, fight it. he is probably going to leave you negative anyway so at least get your money for the parts he screwed up. pm me if you want the details. it is truly a sh%t sandwich.

Last edited by avalonjohn; 04-14-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:42 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

mark your parts before they ship... take some photos with the marks for evidence later...

hence why i avoid ebay....

Get notified of new replies

To Ebay buyers AUHGGGGG !!!!!!

Old 04-15-2011, 12:51 AM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Avalon John,
I went back and reread all your threads and posts. It made an interesting read and story. That was a lot of work for what you had to do to make things right.

In this case I hope the person marked his interior parts in some manner to tell if he gets the originals back.

kdf
Old 04-15-2011, 04:40 AM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldsarge
Sarge,

If, he is a CF member, I doubt very seriously he will raise his ugly head at this point....or ever... for that matter!

Best of luck to ya regards your snafu. Keep us up to date on the situation.

Stay in tune...
Old 04-15-2011, 08:29 AM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by joewill
that thread ended up being an insurance claim..
if you are referring to my dashpad sale, it was not an insurance claim. in the end, we both got our money but i was stuck with his negative comments. ebay's feedback system is complete BS.

Quick Reply: Ebay buyers AUHGGGGG !!!!!!