Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 Borgeson power steering need help

Old 04-22-2017, 11:55 AM
live4corvette
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 68 Borgeson power steering need help

Approximate location of new steering box showing amount of column to be collapsed

Does the clamp hold the collar tight against the outer column?

after collar has been moved down the shaft. Are the rings part of the bearing?

This is the gap created when pushing the shaft up

Do I need to move the break lines?

I am in the process of converting from factory manual steering to Borgeson power steering. It is necessary to shorten the steering column by an inch or so. According to the instructions and other thread I have read, the 68 column should be collapsible. I have tapped on the end of the shaft and watched the shaft move into the collar, thinking I have made progress. Then I looked at the cabin side of the column and noticed the entire shaft has moved out of the column. Is that supposed to happen? Do I need to remove the column to get it to collapse like it is supposed to? Is there anything to hold the shaft into the column? Does the clamp hold the collar against the firewall? When the shaft is pushed back down, are the rings supposed to be there or are they part of the bearing, and need to be replaced? Do I need to move the break lines? Can I simply unclamp and slide over or do I need to have them re-bent? Please help! I need some guidance.

Thanks,
Old 04-23-2017, 06:40 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Remember how old your 68 is, almost 50. From seeing what happened to the steer column my suggestion is to remove the column and take out the shaft. You'll need to inspect for damage from the column separating that way. 68 columns use some parts from 67 and is a 1 year only column. It's approximately 2 inches you need to collapse the column, when dissembled start soaking in penetrant fluid. Put a chalk mark about 1 inch from collapse point and collapse to that chalk mark. You can put it between 2 pieces of wood and use a hammer to get it to move [DO NOT GO TO FAR] also put the nut on the steer wheel end. Then reassemble column, install and make final shortening adjustment in the car. You don't need that clamp, that collar is on there I had to cut mine off and did not reinstall a new 1. My 6t8 got R&P, the 69 got the Borgeson, had to replace both upper and lower bearings [lower got an iolite bushing] on the 6t8. To get the column to collapse on the 69, it required a lot more that just tapping. Oh ya put grease on shaft before collapsing. Brake lines bend very easily, they should just need a minor tweeking, when doing my 69 with power brakes no mod was needed for the brake lines. T
The following users liked this post:
live4corvette (04-23-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 01:37 PM
Crimson Thunder
Burning Brakes

Received 444 Likes on 272 Posts

I could be totally wrong about this, but I thought the collapsible steering column started in 69.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:19 PM
live4corvette
Intermediate

Should there be a retaining ring on both sides of the upper bearing?

What holds the upper bearing in this casing?

Update...the column is now out of the car and somewhat disassembled. The upper and lower bearings are bad. It looks like I can find the lower bearing at Ecklers, but I have not found a source for the upper bearing. Any ideas where I can get one? The column collapses fairly easily, so adjusting for the new gear box will be a breeze. Once I put the new bearings in and adjust the column to the correct length, what keeps the shaft at the new length? It looks like if I pull on the steering wheel, the shaft sill simply expand back the factory length. Do I need to weld it at its final position?
Old 04-26-2017, 08:26 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by crimson thunder
i could be totally wrong about this, but i thought the collapsible steering column started in 69.
The following users liked this post:
Crimson Thunder (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 05:21 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

No welding on shaft, it would not collapse if you did, it's a friction fit. Where have you looked for parts? The upper brg is also a friction fit, if loose in housing a locking agent could be used, might require very light tapping for install. When I received parts the lower brg was wrong, it's more like the 67 brg. You'll have to refer to an AIM regarding the snap rings. T
Old 04-27-2017, 07:44 AM
live4corvette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by terrys6t8roadster
No welding on shaft, it would not collapse if you did, it's a friction fit. Where have you looked for parts? The upper brg is also a friction fit, if loose in housing a locking agent could be used, might require very light tapping for install. When I received parts the lower brg was wrong, it's more like the 67 brg. You'll have to refer to an AIM regarding the snap rings. T

I have only looked for the bearings online at Ecklers and Corvette Central so far. Any suggestions?

It seams to me that when everything is assembled and back in the car, a simple tug on the steering wheel and the shaft will slide back out. It does not appear to be that tight. May be different in the car.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:59 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

We don't want the steering wheel coming out, now do we?, I don't have a 68 AIM book to refer to on if there are and where there might be snap rings.
You could check WILCOX [CF supporting vendor], Dr Rebuild, for your parts. T
Old 08-04-2017, 04:47 PM
live4corvette
Intermediate

Update on steering. I finally found snap rings and re-assembled the steering column. I completed the pulley set up and took the car to a shop for front end alignment and new tires (BF Goodrich TA radials). They set everything to factory spec, but the steering is all over the road and impossible to handle. There is a significant amount of play in the wheel before response. I did not re-install the steering stabilizer shock because I had read in a post that it was not necessary when doing this conversion. A guy at Borgeson asked if they set 3-5 degrees of positive caster. The guy that did the alignment is going to check to see what he set it at and let me know.

Do I need the stabilizer shock? Could the caster make that much difference? Any other ideas? Please help. I am frustrated and don't know where to turn.

Thanks,
Old 08-05-2017, 12:06 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 877 Likes on 762 Posts

Where did you end up finding parts? Are there special part numbers? Do you have a picture of the final look inside the engine compartment? I have a 68 and I'm pondering this also.

Last edited by carriljc; 08-05-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:11 PM
live4corvette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by carriljc
Where did you end up finding parts? Are there special part numbers? Do you have a picture of the final look inside the engine compartment? I have a 68 and I'm pondering this also.

I found the retaining clips for the steering column at a local hardware store. I bought an handful of different size external ring clips and found one that worked.

I posted pictures on a new thread called 1968 suspension rebuild and power steering conversion. Let me know if you want more pictures.

Get notified of new replies

To 68 Borgeson power steering need help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 68 Borgeson power steering need help