C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the path down to resto-mod, is it slippery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:38 AM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default the path down to resto-mod, is it slippery?

So my many month conundrum for me has been whether to go with the bigger radiator (26") in my car or stay with the stock type setup (18").

I'm torn because installing the bigger radiator would mean that I could remove my expansion tank. For some reason, to me that's a fairly recognizable component of my engine bay. To see that gone would signal that another modification to my car has taken place. Also, any one savvy enough in Corvettes would know that the 26" radiator I put in doesn't belong there.

Pros:
*bigger radiator = more cooling
*if I ever go with Vintage Air A/C there's more radiator space to keep things cool

Cons:
*one more modification to my car

If the hood is already incorrect (lt1 in a non-lt1 car), the transmission isn't correct (auto now vs manual past), and the car is the wrong color (red instead of blue), am I really doing further damage to my originality of the car by changing the radiator and the core support?

Maybe I'm already at resto-mod city and have been living there for a long time.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

IMO, if you have the real, original motor (not a restamp) in the car, The car should remain as stock as possible for resale value, but if you never intend to sell the car or if the original motor is gone, do whatever you want with it.

But, a radiator is a simple bolt in change, doing things like adding body flares, or frame changes are more permanent.

Doug
Old 04-05-2011, 12:38 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

The engine, from the stamp I've looked into, seems like it's original to the car. I plan on keeping all of my radiator components so that if I ever did want to switch back I could. I think I've been on the web too much and had it drilled into me "keep it stock". I really thought this switch would be a no-brainer, but after having the car for a while and understanding the Corvette world, it's been a LOT harder to pull the trigger.

I know what most on here would say "It's your car, do what *you* want to do". I'm finding that sage advice hard to implement.

I've already done or plan to do other small changes like a monoleaf rear suspension, Vintage Air A/C, Steeroids, etc. But again, most of these are bolt-in type changes, nothing that couldn't be undone.

The car will never be original, especially since the PO cut the trans crossmember to fit in the automatic.

Let it be known that some PO did the hood, color and trans changes.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I'm missing something. Considering the modifcations already made to the car, are you wanting us to talk you in to the radiator swap? At this point, does originality matter to you?

Here's an out: factory installation of the optional AT would have included the bigger radiator.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you intend to drive the car it needs to run cool. I installed a Dewitt radiator with dual fans and that still wasn't enough until I installed an expansion tank The expansion tank I used was for a '78 or so.

I never really knew what an expansion tank did until I humbled myself and looked it up on How Stuff Works. When the engine heats up water is forced into the tank. That much I knew. What I didn't know is that when the engine cools, water is siphoned back into the radiator. The benefit is that whether hot or cold, the radiator is always 100% full.

As far as resale value goes, it's a heck of a lot easier to sell a stock car than modified.

~Jay
Old 04-05-2011, 03:54 PM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
I'm missing something. Considering the modifcations already made to the car, are you wanting us to talk you in to the radiator swap? At this point, does originality matter to you?

Here's an out: factory installation of the optional AT would have included the bigger radiator.

Stay in tune....
Old 04-05-2011, 04:04 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

It's done, the deed is complete, a weight has been lifted. I went ahead with what I wanted and got the 26" Dewitts A70A. I had John Dingman at Dewitts add the temp sensor hole in case I ever switch to electric fans, but I'm going to try to keep with my stock fan and metal shroud first and see if that fits.

Now to order my core support from Crane Corvette Supply in San Diego as they have the best price I've found.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay M
If you intend to drive the car it needs to run cool. I installed a Dewitt radiator with dual fans and that still wasn't enough until I installed an expansion tank The expansion tank I used was for a '78 or so.

I never really knew what an expansion tank did until I humbled myself and looked it up on How Stuff Works. When the engine heats up water is forced into the tank. That much I knew. What I didn't know is that when the engine cools, water is siphoned back into the radiator. The benefit is that whether hot or cold, the radiator is always 100% full.
That's not an expansion tank, that's a coolant recovery tank in Corvettespeak. Expansion tanks were last used in 1972.

Big difference.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
That's not an expansion tank, that's a coolant recovery tank in Corvettespeak. Expansion tanks were last used in 1972.

Big difference.
Thanks for the clarification, what exactly is the difference? The expansion tank wasn't on all models. Was it optional?

thanks,
~Jay
Old 04-05-2011, 08:03 PM
EricU
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by StingrayLust
...If the hood is already incorrect (lt1 in a non-lt1 car), the transmission isn't correct (auto now vs manual past), and the car is the wrong color (red instead of blue), am I really doing further damage to my originality of the car by changing the radiator and the core support?

Maybe I'm already at resto-mod city and have been living there for a long time.
  1. Unless you plan on changing those items back to original stock form and if you care about the NCRS crowd, why wouldn't you?
  2. I bet Carrol Shelby doesn't look back at his Cobras and say "Gee, I sure wish I had kept that little four cylinder in my ACs!"
Do what makes your car better for you.

Eric.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:08 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The expansion tank in the older cars had one of the heater hoses running into it and a hose running from the tank to the heater core, as well as a hose coming from the radiator overflow. It also had a vent hose dumping out onto the ground in the event of over-pressure. The coolant recovery tank would just have a hose from the radiator overflow if I'm not mistaken.

Rick B.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:53 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Now that you have more cooling, it can support more hp, just saying...
Old 04-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Jay M
...The expansion tank wasn't on all models. Was it optional?...
Optional? No. As a rule, aluminum radiators without filler caps got the expansion tank. Copper and brass radiators had filler caps and did not use/need the expansion tank.

Usually AT cars or cars with factory AC got the bigger copper and brass radiators. Big blocks usually got the copper and brass, but there were exceptions.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike

Usually AT cars or cars with factory AC got the bigger copper and brass radiators. Big blocks usually got the copper and brass, but there were exceptions.

That's it.

If the car had a radiator with an integral rad cap, it had no external expansion tank. Conversely if the rad had no cap (most Harrison aluminum rads) it had an external expansion tank with a cap. No Corvette ever had two rad caps, despite what might be seen today.

Expansion tanks are part of the pressurized system, coolant recovery tanks like '73 and up are not.

Trying to force one type of system to behave like the other will always lead to problems.

Get notified of new replies

To the path down to resto-mod, is it slippery?

Quick Reply: the path down to resto-mod, is it slippery?