Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardtops: How/where do you find one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I was thinking of buying one several months ago but the shipping was a bit much. At the time I was also thinking when and for what purposes I would use it. My soft top seems to serve me well for the driving season (May-October). When do people use these hard tops and why? Seems to defeat the purpose of having a convertible.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:38 PM
bkvette3
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
I was thinking of buying one several months ago but the shipping was a bit much. At the time I was also thinking when and for what purposes I would use it. My soft top seems to serve me well for the driving season (May-October). When do people use these hard tops and why? Seems to defeat the purpose of having a convertible.
Hi Paul. I like having the hardtop for my convertible for the option of being able to change the look of my '68. One day it's the "top down" look, then it's the "coupe look" with the hardtop installed the next day. Then to change it up, I roll with the white soft top up. A different look when out on the street - Only con about a hardtop, as mentioned numerous times before - STORING IT. Just my $0.02.

Last edited by bkvette3; 03-19-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
Some people put their cars away for the winter - others like myself have a 12 month 'driving season', and having a hardtop makes Nov-Mar much more pleasureable!
Old 03-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bkvette3
Hi Paul. I like having the hardtop for my convertible for the option of being able to change the look of my '68. One day it's the "top down" look, then it's the "coupe look" with the hardtop installed the next day. Then to change it up, I roll with the white soft top up. A different look when out on the street - Only con about a hardtop, as mentioned numerous times before - STORING IT. Just my $0.02.
Yes, storage is a problem. And I guess the darn things are heavy.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mashman
Some people put their cars away for the winter - others like myself have a 12 month 'driving season', and having a hardtop makes Nov-Mar much more pleasureable!
Quite true and it certainly makes sense to have a hard top given your circumstances. I do not see my car October to April.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:48 PM
ED69ray
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure it has good rubber stripping and a decent headliner. Those 2 items will set you back about $800 if you need to buy them...

There is a lot of vette activity in Texas between Houston and Dallas - keep your eyes peeled and one will show up.

I bought one for my '69 a few months ago from a member here

Smoothline tops is another option

Good Luck, Ed
Old 03-19-2011, 07:12 PM
petdoc
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 205 Posts

Default Bingo!!!!

Wow! One of our forum members contacted me from Houston (I live in San Antonio) with a great roof. $750, excellent cond, exc headliner, needs weatherstripping, but otherwise GREAT SHAPE. another $300-$400 (I can Paint) and I'll be all fixed up.... Thanks CORVETTE FORUM! Lee
Old 03-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by petdoc
Wow! One of our forum members contacted me from Houston (I live in San Antonio) with a great roof. $750, excellent cond, exc headliner, needs weatherstripping, but otherwise GREAT SHAPE. another $300-$400 (I can Paint) and I'll be all fixed up.... Thanks CORVETTE FORUM! Lee
Great news!

Quick Reply: Hardtops: How/where do you find one?