Sponsored by:

Power Antenna Question about signal

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:56 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Power Antenna Question about signal

On 78 to 82 car with power antenna, how is your reception. Mine is poor, just wondering. AM works fine but FM is weak.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,465 Likes on 789 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

FM is good on my 82. I installed a new antenna right after I bought it as the one it had was stuck in the up position. I haven't tried AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Ditto. FM is good in my '80; I cannot honestly recall the last time I tried AM.

Antenna lead plugged in well at the stereo? Ground surfaces clean?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:35 AM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 81 works great in AM or FM no problems - sounds like you have a connection problem.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:21 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

my fm is not the best, but it may have been good for its time. but compared to the new stuff its not so great .i did make it better by putting a new ground on the antenna mount.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:09 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,336 Posts

On my 81, the AM band currently works poorly, but FM comes in fine. I've traced this to a bad cable.

Is your power antenna extending fully? If it's not, this can effect the reception. If the old memory is working properly, the ideal length of an FM antenna is around 27"-28"? I can't recall exactly how far up the factory power antenna goes, but with age and dirt build up, the antenna may not fully extend.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:24 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gbvette62
On my 81, the AM band currently works poorly, but FM comes in fine. I've traced this to a bad cable.

Is your power antenna extending fully? If it's not, this can effect the reception. If the old memory is working properly, the ideal length of an FM antenna is around 27"-28"? I can't recall exactly how far up the factory power antenna goes, but with age and dirt build up, the antenna may not fully extend.
Power Antenna works fine, no problems but may need to run a new extension and see if that helps. What's weird is when I disconnect the ground strap at the power antenna reception gets better, not great just better
Old 03-15-2011, 11:01 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

By chance is your antenna one of those GM look alike reproductions sold by some of the vendors?
They have a crappy connection where the co-ax cable connector contacts the inner stationary mast tube.
Originals are soldered, the repros(that I have seen) simply have a ring that contacts the tube.
Try loosening the co-ax cable and then wiggling it.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:13 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KapsSA
By chance is your antenna one of those GM look alike reproductions sold by some of the vendors?
They have a crappy connection where the co-ax cable connector contacts the inner stationary mast tube.
Originals are soldered, the repros(that I have seen) simply have a ring that contacts the tube.
Try loosening the co-ax cable and then wiggling it.

It is an original antenna but will try your idea

Thanks
Old 03-17-2011, 01:44 AM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Since it's an original antenna, try disconnecting the co-ax from the fitting on the mast tube and then remove that fitting too.
See if the stud is still attached to the inner tube.
If it's loose and original nothing will make it work again except resoldering the stud to the inner tube.

Some later GM 'service replacements' have a stud with a nail head like base that simply rests against the inner tube. The co-ax cable needs to be tightened with a wrench to firmly press that stud against the inner tube. Lot of guys simply tighten it finger tight.

And then there's the repros I can't see HOW the stud maintains good contact with the inner tube!

Last edited by KapsSA; 03-17-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:00 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by spedaleden
On 78 to 82 car with power antenna, how is your reception. Mine is poor, just wondering. AM works fine but FM is weak.
your experience seems to be contrary to the way it should be. FM (because of the wave length) is almost always stronger and in many cases can be near perfect with the antenna all the way down. that is assuming you live in an area that isn't way out in the country far from transmitters. AM almost always is weak (and affected by tall buildings, poorer weather, underpasses, etc) without a good antenna. one of the first things you should check is to make certain that the antenna has a very good ground source that is clean and that the ground strap isn't frayed or partially torn. years ago (in 1975 or so) i was going nuts trying to get any decent radio reception on my 69 convertible and swapped my radio out with a replacement and found no improvement. then i started tracing wires to make certain everything was as it should have been and discovered a very poor antenna ground (in the fender where it was located). once repaired, i was amazed at the improvement.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:06 AM
nrock47
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where is the best place to ground at the antenna housing? i have poor reception, it's hard working under the fender and over the muffler. i have a ground strap but not sure where to hook it on the antenna.http://www.tld-corvette.com/prodinfo.asp?number=631267
Old 03-18-2011, 08:33 AM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by srs244
your experience seems to be contrary to the way it should be. FM (because of the wave length) is almost always stronger and in many cases can be near perfect with the antenna all the way down. that is assuming you live in an area that isn't way out in the country far from transmitters. AM almost always is weak (and affected by tall buildings, poorer weather, underpasses, etc) without a good antenna. one of the first things you should check is to make certain that the antenna has a very good ground source that is clean and that the ground strap isn't frayed or partially torn. years ago (in 1975 or so) i was going nuts trying to get any decent radio reception on my 69 convertible and swapped my radio out with a replacement and found no improvement. then i started tracing wires to make certain everything was as it should have been and discovered a very poor antenna ground (in the fender where it was located). once repaired, i was amazed at the improvement.
I restored the car 5 years ago, you can eat off the underside of this car. I need to look at the antenna, that is one piece I just reinstalled. Grounds are fine and no frayed wires. Might also be coax but AM is working so coax should be good.

Thanks for everyones tips, I'll let you know the out come.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:25 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by nrock47
where is the best place to ground at the antenna housing? i have poor reception, it's hard working under the fender and over the muffler. i have a ground strap but not sure where to hook it on the antenna.http://www.tld-corvette.com/prodinfo.asp?number=631267
ground strap to metal part of the antenna.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:32 AM
nrock47
Cruising

it's plastic!!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 02:25 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

on the lower shaft there is metal some were.turn the radio on loud enough to here it then touch the metal with the ground strap.tell us what you get.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:46 PM
nrock47
Cruising

Originally Posted by terry82
on the lower shaft there is metal some were.turn the radio on loud enough to here it then touch the metal with the ground strap.tell us what you get.
i did a check from the battery negative to the antenna ground with ohm meter, it was under 2. going out to crawl under their now, anybody know a good chiropractor?

Get notified of new replies

To Power Antenna Question about signal

Quick Reply: Power Antenna Question about signal