Sponsored by:

Corvette Tachometer Gauge Pointer size differences mech/elec

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 06:48 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Corvette Tachometer Gauge Pointer size differences mech/elec

I'm finishing converting my 75 electronic tach to take a 71 green-lettered faceplate (mechanical). I'll have pictures later.

I had ordered new faceplates and pointers from corvetteinstruments.com that had listed the pointer as good for 68-77 on both the speedometer and tachometer. However, the needle the pointer mounts to on the electronic tach seems to be much narrower. When I go to put the new pointer on the elec tach needle, it's much to big. There was a dirty pointer that came with the 75 elec tach I got that fits just nice and snug.

Does anyone know if the needles were different between 68-74 (mechanical tach) and 75-77 (electronic tach)?
Old 03-05-2011, 07:11 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a difference in the needles. The mechanical tach needle has a counterweight in the center, and I'm not sure if the electric tach needle has a weight or not. I'm guessing it doesn't since the electric mechanism is pretty delicate.

Rick B.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:55 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Default comparison

Yes I did see that. In my picture below I have (from left to right):

Left - my original 1971 mechanical tach pointer
Middle - original pointer that came with my 75-77 tach
Right - replacement pointer that supposedly fitted 68-77s

The Left one does have a metal bottom pointer to counterbalance the weight. The Middle version has a plastic weight which can't way anywhere near the metal version. The Right version has nothing like this.

It's probably pretty hard to tell, but the Middle version has a small pin hole in it than either of the other two. As you can see, I'm just trying to repaint the Middle version to spruce it up as it's the only one that fits.

Last edited by StingrayLust; 03-06-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:04 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Default 75-77 not reproduced any more?

I got back an email from Roger at CI and he did verify that they are different and that he had listed them incorrectly. Roger also said that the 75-77 pointers are no longer produced.

I also see conflicting information on a lot of the major Corvette suppliers about this part saying that the tachometer needle they sell is good for 68-77. This is not true, they are different.

Has anyone bought a brand new, reproduced tachometer needle for their 75-77 vette?

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Tachometer Gauge Pointer size differences mech/elec

Quick Reply: Corvette Tachometer Gauge Pointer size differences mech/elec