C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Bumper Conversion and Flares Flares Flares!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:10 AM
highschool67
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Clubby99
Quality work? He is a distributor not a manufactuer. XS-Power headers/side pipes are repackaged OBX products sold at a higher price.
I have to step in here to support Josh.
I have spent many hours at Josh's shop during the molding process of these body parts. Each mold is produced at Josh's shop. Each design and modification comes from Josh's imagination and was built during hundred of hours of fabrication. Although I am somewhat of a purist and have restored many C3's and C2's I have to say I am very impressed with the tasteful mods I see coming from his shop. Josh knows what he is doing. He is a perfectionist and backs everything he designs.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:44 AM
T Rush
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...I still resent the previous owner who removed my wiper door and grille so he could "update" my "older" model with the new longer hood. I have been gathering the parts to reinstall the wiper door. ....
and I'm sure the previous owner thinks you're an idiot for trying to undo all the modifications he did to the car...heck, who knows, maybe after you return the car to the older original style and sell it, the next owner will rip all your work off of it and put a long hood right back on it

but surely you would have to notice this thread is not about restoring cars to original body work...and if you look a Josh's example of his '82 'bubble window' car(The Mistress) with the old style front and rear bumper mod on it, you will see its pretty clear that he is not trying to fool anyone into thinking that its an original '72 or earlier car at all

...its one of those things that when you see it, its hard to believe it works so well, and looks so good...not Frankenstein at all...somehow Josh was able to get the balance of the lines and forms to work, and pull it off...the cars he has worked on come across as looking like thats how they should be, almost effortless in form and function, as if "stock", but everything on the cars has been caressed to become 'just right' to be able to break any ties to originality without looking hacked ...its amazing that something so 'out of the box' was able to become so "fitting"...I'm sure during the process Josh hit many walls where he was not satisfied, and the idea wasn't coming off so awesome, and he might have thought himself that it couldn't be done to his expectations...but he did it!!...and it has such an impact now that he just can't keep it to himself...so now is offering it for others to have as well

Last edited by T Rush; 03-18-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Unachievable
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing looking conversion kit I have been following this project for a while and I am totally excited about the release. Here is a picture of the Mistress when body-work was being finished and Josh's vision of the total conversion.

Last edited by Unachievable; 04-15-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:49 PM
0CUSTOM IMAGE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Unachievable
Amazing looking conversion kit I have been following this project for a while and I am totally excited about the release. Here is a picture of the Mistress when body-work was being finished and Josh's vision of the total conversion.

The bolt on bumper cover will be ready early next week....
Old 04-16-2011, 01:41 AM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Josh

did Fiberglass Mike mention anything about a rear wing/spoiler? How about a front spoiler? I talked to him about a year ago about those. BTW, very nice mods!
Old 04-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Unachievable
Intermediate

With any luck I can get my "Paramour" to look like this minus the green and plus rear and front flares
Old 04-18-2011, 05:36 PM
army
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm paying close attention to this thread. I'm curious to see the design. Hope to see some bolt on chrome bumper pics soon.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:48 PM
dgr72vette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope to see this conversion up close and in person at Carlisle in August...will it be there???
Old 04-18-2011, 07:21 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Not only have I been keeping an eye on Josh's awesome work, but as I myself have a number of C3 go-fast items in the works awaiting funding for development, I very much appreciate his having gotten over some substantial hurdles to actually bring his wares to market.

So, it is that I extend sincere congratulations and best wishes for success.

TSW
Old 04-18-2011, 07:38 PM
rugerm44
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't touch mine it already has Chrome bumpers but if I had a non original rubber nose car.I would do it just to have something different.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:55 AM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Wow, I'm definitely staying tuned for the bolt on rear bumper! Good work CI!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Hadez
Drifting

Here are some more pics of Josh's fine work....you all will not find a tighter fitting smooth form fitting flare out there and not to mention how cheap these are compared to what others charge. He made molds of both my car (Kaoss) and his car (Mistress) which are some of the finest examples of fender flared C3's out there.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Superior minds create superior products and this is a good example. For years we have read messages asking about converting a rubber bumper car to steel bumpers. This appears to be the solution. The flares have the most eye appealing contour of any I have seen.

If the plastic chrome bumpers have the same dimension and mounting locations as original, there will be a market among the early C-3 drag race crowd. They are always looking to shave weight from the front. Fiberglass front bumpers were available at some point, but disappeared many years ago. Good luck with the sales!
Old 04-19-2011, 02:01 PM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't do it. Be proud of your Corvette. Swapping in chrome bumpers would be the ultimate Bubba mod.
sorry everyone, but i gotta agree with this guy. dont get me wrong, the quality and craftsmanship are AMAZING, and those are some damn good looking cars. however, i dont like the idea of switching a chrome bumper to a non-chrome bumper. everyone knows the chrome bumpers are more popular and desirable. i agree what he said how changing rims, paint, exhaust is not trying to change the identity of the car.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:13 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't recall seeing an invitation in the OP's post (as a supporting vendor who is trying to make a buck, BTW) for purists to openly hate on his work here in his thread. Not that I have anything against NCRS standards or those who strive for them, but how would you like it if those of us who happen to like such mods take to bashing you guys for fastidiously maintaining your stockers? Fortunately, your belief system doesn't dictate whether or not there's room in this hobby for modders.

Applications for membership in my ignore list still available!
Old 04-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by littlesk8cracker
however, i dont like the idea of switching a chrome bumper to a non-chrome bumper. everyone knows the chrome bumpers are more popular and desirable.
Dang! Now he tells me!

Old 04-19-2011, 03:51 PM
army
Racer

Keep doing what you're doing Josh. I need to see the finished product before I bite but I have a 76 Stingray and I'm very interested. I would even say I'm excited about this.

Get notified of new replies

To Chrome Bumper Conversion and Flares Flares Flares!!!

Old 04-19-2011, 03:52 PM
army
Racer

Kid Vette.. that is drop dead cool.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:03 PM
T Rush
Racer

I think it needs to be understood that the `74 ~`82 C3 cars have removable and changeable front and rear bumper covers, with these cars now all 30 years old or more, the original flexible 'wavy' urethane covers almost all will have to be(or have been) replaced....and likely people might have changed to a non-original look anyway; if just to get away from the 'wavy' urethane with a fiberglass one looking close to the stock for their year, or to a `80 ~`82 style with the flipped up spoiler lip to mimic some of the rear styling of the `68 ~`73 cars...besides that, there are very few options out there on a part that has to be replaced on nearly all these cars

seems I've run into quite a few people who don't like the 'sloped' soft tail of the `74 ~`79 cars, even tho I do like that look and feel that it actually is part of the original C3 design from the 1968 Astro-Vette show car as updated and refined from that year's production car molded after the garish earlier 1965 Maco Shark II with a flipped up tail spoiler, which even was 're-thought' and transformed into the Manta Ray in 1969(so we knew the shorter upturned tail spoiler wasn't a 'keeper' in the GM design world)
progression:
now

for the 15 years the C3 was produced, there are a lot more 'soft tail' cars out there(much higher production numbers per year) than 'hard tail' chrome bumper cars...by shear numbers alone, if anything says "3rd generation Corvette styling" it would more likely be the variations in the soft tail over the 9 years of that 15(163,913 total chrome rear `68 ~`73 cars vs 378,957 total for `74 ~`82 years)
...however many people don't see it that way, and would prefer to think of the C3 has being a "classic car"

in my opinion, todays Corvette styling ...

... looks more like the early cars ...

... and this kinda makes those sloped bumpers look like the 'odd-ball' or a temporary 'slip-up' in the direction the Corvette has gone...tho I like it, I see nothing wrong with filling over that gap with a tail section that transforms a car into something that more naturally fits in-between these generations

Last edited by T Rush; 04-19-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Hadez
Drifting

Where did you find a pic like this from? Is this somebody's car or a drawing? Looks GREAT!!! Just like Josh's Mistress almost.

Quick Reply: Chrome Bumper Conversion and Flares Flares Flares!!!