C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Bumper Conversion and Flares Flares Flares!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 03:02 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Damn, those flares are sexy. I want a set just to hang on my walls. :-)
Looking good!
Old 12-07-2011, 04:49 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by CUSTOM IMAGE
Ok, this has been a long time coming. Here are some pictures of the actual production parts. And I also now have L88 hood scoops for long hood cars!

Here are pics of the bumper before the taillights are grafted in and after they are grafted in. Also the Corvette script was removed.
Have you decided on pricing for the flares? What year car are the flares made to fit? How would I get my ('72) side grilles in them?

What is the difference with the bumper from stock? It is hard to tell from the pic. What year car is the bumper for? How much is the bumper?

Are these parts in production right now, available immediately? Nice work, the parts look good.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:05 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Have you decided on pricing for the flares? What year car are the flares made to fit? How would I get my ('72) side grilles in them?

What is the difference with the bumper from stock? It is hard to tell from the pic. What year car is the bumper for? How much is the bumper?

Are these parts in production right now, available immediately? Nice work, the parts look good.

Still looking for some info regarding the flares.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:10 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You may have to give Josh a call, I think he gets so busy he doesn't get time to visit the forum as often as he would like.

Riggs
Old 12-19-2011, 05:13 AM
0CUSTOM IMAGE
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t2vette

Sorry for the late response. The pricing for the flares is $1000 + shipping for the set. The flares are designed for a 68-69 but I just installed them on a '72 and will be putting them on Brents '76 very soon. The bumper is for 74-82 cars. The big difference is that the tail is taller and the bottom has an arc in it. I just had a customer install one with 1972 exhaust tips and you can't really even tell that the arc is there.

Parts are in production and there is roughly a week turn around on them. I have been sending tons of them out so you will be seeing alot more flared cars soon...

I am attaching pics of how we installed them on the '72 and kept the side vents and side markers.

Process was:

Cut off old fender while retaining factory bonding strip

Hang flare and trace cut lines from behind.

test fit flare

glue flare on

glass flare at bonding strips (5-6 layers)

spread short strand filler over glassed area

grind smooth with 24/36 grit grinder

finishing mud

block

primer...

I will have pics of the car in primer in a couple weeks.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:52 AM
Kustom8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The flares look awesome,and love the stance of the 72!The only problem w/cutting into a panel @ so many locations,is not being able to get to the backside,and setting yourself for chances of cracking,esp.w/a high horsepower car.At the bonding strip locations will be fine,cause they have a backing area,but the cuts all in the front fender on the front may cause ya problems later.These cars flex alot,and there is alot of up,and down motion on the frontends.
That's one advantage of adding just the traditonal style of flares.You can cut the wheel opening out from the factory fender,once you get your location,and glass the back,also,which will pretty much "melt" the 2 pieces together,and they won't break,or crack,if one uses the right material/s.
I do love the shape,and the stance of these!Awesome work!
Old 12-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Curby
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Sweet Looking 72!

I sure miss my baby! I can't wait to see her in primer.

I love the exhaust cut outs of the tail section of your custom rear tail. It really does make it look good.

On a side note, I would like to know if those are 68 back-up lights or something from another car. I have been looking for something for my 72.

I have been trying to decide whether the round ones from a 66 Mustang would look better than the square ones from a 68 SS Camaro. Both have chrome trim, but would not be too much for the car I think. My other option was the little rectangular ones from the 2010 Camaro.

Last edited by Curby; 12-19-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:34 AM
RRROBB
Advanced

Default awesome product

I just received my new bumper cover and it is of VERY HIGH QUALITY.
I would have no problem recommending these parts to anyone.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:11 PM
dboz
Burning Brakes

They look great, but that is a TON of work.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:46 AM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

Not sure what you really meant about the front bumper.
Have a 75, what will it take to put a chrome bumper on it?

I'm almost ready for paint.

Ralph
Old 12-21-2011, 04:49 PM
75rat
Advanced

Originally Posted by Curby
I sure miss my baby! I can't wait to see her in primer.

I love the exhaust cut outs of the tail section of your custom rear tail. It really does make it look good.

On a side note, I would like to know if those are 68 back-up lights or something from another car. I have been looking for something for my 72.

I have been trying to decide whether the round ones from a 66 Mustang would look better than the square ones from a 68 SS Camaro. Both have chrome trim, but would not be too much for the car I think. My other option was the little rectangular ones from the 2010 Camaro.
Curby,
The back-up lights are actually '68 Corrvette front side marker lights. Probably not as bright as regular '68 backup lights, but very clean looking, easy to install, and way cheaper.

Btw; Josh is a great guy and easy to work with. He's doing some really neat stuff.

rat
Old 12-21-2011, 05:08 PM
ikwhite
Pro

Is there a price set for the long hood style L88 hood scoop yet ?

Thanks
ikwhite
Old 01-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Curby
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Kustom8
The flares look awesome,and love the stance of the 72!The only problem w/cutting into a panel @ so many locations,is not being able to get to the backside,and setting yourself for chances of cracking,esp.w/a high horsepower car.At the bonding strip locations will be fine,cause they have a backing area,but the cuts all in the front fender on the front may cause ya problems later.These cars flex alot,and there is alot of up,and down motion on the frontends.
That's one advantage of adding just the traditonal style of flares.You can cut the wheel opening out from the factory fender,once you get your location,and glass the back,also,which will pretty much "melt" the 2 pieces together,and they won't break,or crack,if one uses the right material/s.
I do love the shape,and the stance of these!Awesome work!
Thanks, I am pumped aobut the work being done.

Once my car is done, there will be a 72 with the CI flares on it and the factory side marker lights and egg crate opening that Josh could use as a buct to make a mold. That way he could offer early and late chrome bumper flares.

Those of you with 70 to 72 Vettes that want the Custom Image flares, could buy this set. You would then cut the whole fender off and could use the factory bonding strips. This would reduce the amount of installation labor to about the same as a factory replacmeent fender.

Of course all of this hinges upon whether or not a mold wil lbe made of my car or not. I guess that depends on interest and orders. It is very expensive to make a mold.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:53 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Once my car is done, there will be a 72 with the CI flares on it and the factory side marker lights and egg crate opening that Josh could use as a buct to make a mold. That way he could offer early and late chrome bumper flares.

Those of you with 70 to 72 Vettes that want the Custom Image flares, could buy this set. You would then cut the whole fender off and could use the factory bonding strips. This would reduce the amount of installation labor to about the same as a factory replacmeent fender.

Of course all of this hinges upon whether or not a mold wil lbe made of my car or not. I guess that depends on interest and orders. It is very expensive to make a mold.
I have a 71 and would definately grab a set. Much easier as you said to just replace the entire quarter rather than cut and paste (so-to-speak) like you guys just did on your 72. looks awesome though. I know you are checking email and forum updates 10 times a day in hopes you'll find some more pics, aren't you. I would be!

Terry
Old 01-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RRROBB
I just received my new bumper cover and it is of VERY HIGH QUALITY.
I would have no problem recommending these parts to anyone.
Pics??
Old 02-20-2012, 10:25 AM
RRROBB
Advanced

C:\Users\robb\Pictures\2012-02-06 corvette
this is my 1977 Vette with original bumper cover and 78 spoiler
Old 02-20-2012, 10:34 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

So, will Custom Image be making a mold from your car for the 70-72 people to buy?

Get notified of new replies

To Chrome Bumper Conversion and Flares Flares Flares!!!

Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Custom Image, That last set of photos looks awesome!!!
Future plans are for me to find a steel bumper car and turn it into a dedicated track car. I'll be looking to you for body panels
Old 02-20-2012, 11:20 AM
RRROBB
Advanced

this is the before picture with 1977 rear cover and 1978 spoiler

these are my new wheels and tires

TTII wheels

here is the new rear cover (high quality isn't it)

The notorious crash bar

more crash bar

the crash bar is out

on to the next project
Old 02-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Slow roll
7th Gear

The flares and that rear bumper are going to look great.

I don't know if anyone brought it to your attention, but the garage could use a quick sweeping.

Quick Reply: Chrome Bumper Conversion and Flares Flares Flares!!!