Where are you putting your amp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:47 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by dosoctaves
Mine is in the far right side compartment. Held in with velcro

My wife had a '79 coupe for quite a while, bought it new and sold it in '97. While she owned it, I installed an aftermarket head unit, which I used to power the front speakers, and added some better 6x9s in the rear, which I powered with a 35w/channel amp. I also tucked the amp in the RH compartment.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:26 AM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some hearing loss due to high-performance fighter jet engines.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:27 AM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i put mine behind my seat.

this is an older picture, but ive ground out a larger opening in the bulkhead wall under the ebrake cover, so the rca cables pass through and cant be seen.

its really well cooled back there, mostly hidden, and easy to get to when needed.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:06 AM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I see many of you put the amps in the rear compartments. Doesnt this create a heat issue with the amp? I have one in my truck under the back seat but also has plenty of air circulation and it still gets hot.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:23 AM
beige79
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Duane4238
O.K., I must have gotten old somewhere in the past 40 years. I put my oem mono radio on the shelf about 10 years ago and installed a Custom Autosound "stereo" and it sounds great to me. I don't even know what an AMP is for. My hearing has suffered because of loud stereos that my parents told me to turn down all the time. You young guys with your super systems and giant speakers will be totally deaf when you're my age. And I can tell you, hearing loss is no fun!
Duane
I gave up trying to make this same point to younger people myself. I usually find that it simply falls on deaf ears.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:33 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my interior remodel got put on hold for a body off.

But this is waiting for me when I get ready to put it all back together.

The amp will be going on the back wall. I'm not sure yet but i don't think the 6.5's will fit in the front kick panels like I thought so i might have to do some changing around with that.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:42 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HOOAH
I see many of you put the amps in the rear compartments. Doesnt this create a heat issue with the amp? I have one in my truck under the back seat but also has plenty of air circulation and it still gets hot.
I think a lot of that has to do with what type of amp you have.

Class A/B amps vs. class D...
Although i'm guessing most here are running A/B amps so that still doesn't explain your question.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:46 PM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i think most people just arent aware of how warm they get. or they have their gains turned way down and just arent putting any power through them, so they never do get warm.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:34 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,369 Likes on 2,792 Posts

Originally Posted by Duane4238
O.K., I must have gotten old somewhere in the past 40 years. I put my oem mono radio on the shelf about 10 years ago and installed a Custom Autosound "stereo" and it sounds great to me. I don't even know what an AMP is for. My hearing has suffered because of loud stereos that my parents told me to turn down all the time. You young guys with your super systems and giant speakers will be totally deaf when you're my age. And I can tell you, hearing loss is no fun!
Duane
What?? WHAT!!!???

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Like the deaf guy, I have a very low quality requirement as regarding sound in my '69 convertible. Unfortunately, as I am a stock freak, I think the Autosound units are so ugly I'd rather have no sound at all.

So, I spent a fortune having my stock stereo unit converted to new specs, bought slimline speakers from Crutchfield that fit nicely inside the stock kickpanels so you can't see them and grudgingly agreed to some speakers in boxes in the back up against the rear panel. Its sounds absolutely hideous. Awful.

The front speakers are garbage and Id love to make the rear boxes go away. Im concerned that the top folded down will sit in front of the speakers and no sound will work properly. Do those speaker panels they sell at Eckler/Mid America that fit up against the back panel work at all? Any good suggestion for kick panel speakers that dont completely svck? Is an amp absolutely necessary? If so, it would have to go inside one of the compartments- I cant have that thing out where you can see it... so heat is an issue?
Old 03-16-2011, 12:54 AM
hwcoop
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have some hearing loss due to high-performance fighter jet engines.

I think my hearing was done in by watching too many top fuel races and passing out beside the live band speakers during my stag!.

I am trying to figure out where to put my 6x9 speakers in the rear and still have room for my T-Tops. Front speakers will be 4x6 in dash using an Alpine unit.
Music mostly for highway use...around town I like to listen to my Magnaflow stereo
Old 03-16-2011, 01:10 AM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by 79 t-top
Looking at slipping mine in behind the pass seat along the wall...seen it on a few others looks nice and allows plenty of cooling...
me 2...
Old 03-16-2011, 02:48 AM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Guys,
If you don't want to vibrate the windows but just want a sound system with a decent sound quality in most frequency ranges, I highly recommend the sub&amp enclosure from Kenwood. It's small and gives a decent bass note. (especially when it's mounted in the rear storage area). Sorry for the bad pic, it's to dark but I think you get the idea. Because amp & sub are integrated in one unit it definitly saves some space
Regards,
Nick
Without carpet/test fit

Rear finished sub/amp in place

Receiver unit & all wiring in jack compartment

Bluetooth & nav unit in jack compartment tray with velcro

In combination with kenwood kick panel speakers + replacement kenwood speakers for the dash

Last edited by dembo; 03-16-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:26 AM
Fonz69
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had mine in the jack compartment but after a year of use and not really being able to hear the music with having loud sidepipes I took it out and now just listen to the roar of the motor

Figured if I really needed to jam out I would use my ear buds and mp3 player.

It was a sound competition to say the least between my 600hp exhaust and the stereo, needless to say the motor won every time I hit the gas
Old 03-16-2011, 11:35 AM
Wuttin
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ptroxx
I mounted mine on the rear wall.. Also added the 10in sub...and still have room for the tops..and a weekend travel bag in front of the sub..
An old member from this site built my sub box.

Looks familiar...a Durango Boy special no doubt. Polk db651's in the kick panels I presume?

1000W Amp on rear wall of my 79...ideal for ventilation. Be careful not to choose too powerful a unit if it will have little/no airflow around it.

To the hearing challenged, I have pretty bad tinnitus (constant ringing)from years of standing in front of a bass amp in a Rush cover band. I installed a killer stereo in the Vette to make sure the quality (not the volume) of the sound is as good as possible since low quality sound really aggravates the condition. There are certain frequencies where you swear your head will explode (and unfortunately one of them is the sound of the car on the highway at 3200 rpm if the tops are on). Protect them ears...
Old 03-16-2011, 04:53 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,369 Likes on 2,792 Posts

denbo- what speakers did you put in the kick panels?

another question... are all your speakers just the kick and the dash? My 69 does not use dash speakers.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 03-16-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Bowerss2
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i put mine behind the passenger seat. it stays cool enough.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:56 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey, below are links to the components I've used. It seems like the sub/amp combo is not available in US but there's something similair. Kick and dash speakers are indeed the only others I have.
Regards,
Nick

Sub/amp
http://www.kenwood.be/nl/products/ca...nten/KSC-SW01/
Available in US
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...ofers/KSC-SW10
Kickpanel speakers
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...akers/KFC-X132
Dash speakers
http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductD...GR-SR&CTitle=&

Get notified of new replies

To Where are you putting your amp?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:32 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I am putting mine, Kenwood KAC-8405, behind the driver over the wheel tub. Plenty of room for amps' fan exhaust. The speaker bar allows me to carry the T-Tops and a larger fire extinguisher. Speakers are Polk 691s and 651s. Head unit will be Kenwood KDC-448U. mike...

Last edited by mds3013; 03-16-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:16 PM
PA14JIM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just stripped the interior of my 77. found the amp attached to the passenger side of the firewall. Jim
Old 03-16-2011, 09:34 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 547 Likes on 385 Posts

LOL that is a Matt special... He did a great job on it.. I love it...
I did put a new amp in.. I have the Kenwood 600w.. more than enough for my system..
And for the kicks I have infinity 6.5....
Alpine head unit that controls my ipod that is stored in my rear compartment..

I may be adding a ttop holder on the car..Im really starting to like the chrome look on the car......
plus ill get more storage in my car this way...I can still get the tops in the car and a few small bags....

Originally Posted by Wuttin
Looks familiar...a Durango Boy special no doubt. Polk db651's in the kick panels I presume?

1000W Amp on rear wall of my 79...ideal for ventilation. Be careful not to choose too powerful a unit if it will have little/no airflow around it.

To the hearing challenged, I have pretty bad tinnitus (constant ringing)from years of standing in front of a bass amp in a Rush cover band. I installed a killer stereo in the Vette to make sure the quality (not the volume) of the sound is as good as possible since low quality sound really aggravates the condition. There are certain frequencies where you swear your head will explode (and unfortunately one of them is the sound of the car on the highway at 3200 rpm if the tops are on). Protect them ears...

Quick Reply: Where are you putting your amp?